Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed 3Gtechnology.net

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024
T

Tee

Cool. I like the .net cause of the whole network/wireless/broadband network thing.

How about in .us? I guess .com would be best. But in general it is kind of a silly name I guess in a way.

How about e3g.info?

or ebroadband.info or....

Oh, I give up.

:laugh:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apart from ebay, drop the e's and i's. Reminds a lot of investors of the days of the internet gone mad.

I even went and tm'd a e name with USPTO. Most of my colleagues tell me when they hear my e name "Couldn't get the name you wanted right? "

We learn :cry:

Originally posted by Tee

How about in .us? I guess .com would be best. But in general it is kind of a silly name I guess in a way.

How about e3g.info?

well the sales history for .info names seems pretty sketchy to me (and thats saying it nicely! lol ), and I'm still not convinced as to why names with "3g" in it are so valuable? I 've never seen one sell, its just a new technology, IMO, just like the wap names which were going around a year or so ago.

T

Tee

You're right.

I use to hate those wap names!

I like 3g... cause there was no 2gtechnology (that kind of phrasing) and cause they (3g and technology) rhyme. And cause its a newsworthy buzz phrase and those can do well if the timing is right.

But totally, I'm sympathetic to the person who says - come on that's crap! I think all domain lovers have their "sins".

T

Tee

Originally posted by mole
Apart from ebay, drop the e's and i's. Reminds a lot of investors of the days of the internet gone mad.

I even went and tm'd a e name with USPTO. Most of my colleagues tell me when they hear my e name "Couldn't get the name you wanted right? "

We learn :cry:

I like the e and i names cause they cover the root generic word. Its all about packages man.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i like .nets. as a matter of fact sometimes more than dot coms.
i think the name has great potential.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that e and i were attractive in the days of artificial scarcity that .com created with 20m+ registrations covering every conceivable alphanumeric combination and nothing of meaning was left.

That's rapidly changing today.

But yes, maybe names like emedia.com still have value. Just that it just ain't as sexy as it used to be back in 1999.

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like the name.

The only thing with names such as this is that technology changes, and we all have to rush out and get 4gtechnoloy for instance, even though it has probaly been regged already.

However, the name has potential for now so Good Luck

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nic
i like .nets. as a matter of fact sometimes more than dot coms.
i think the name has great potential.

I couldn't get the .com version for my personal name back in early 1998 so I got .net instead. Thank god that my personal name didn't end up being associated with dotcommer pretentiousness. Pity the guy who went and changed his name to dot com.

dotcom, together with .net was around since 1985. Like the hoola hoop fad, dotcom suddenly became hip in the late 1990s. But that doesn't mean it will continue to remain hip.

T

Tee

I like the visual and audio experience I get from this name. Also, 4gtechnology is like humans and computers interacting very intimately and I think and thats got be at least 6 months off (lol).

I also have a few of the extensions and you know, I've registered terrible .coms too.

mole,

I agree with your comments about artifical scarcity, though it is seen in all extensions not just .com in my view. In fact I'd say its highest in the newer extensions, and would *guess* that as a percentage a greater % of .biz/.info/.ws/.cc more are unused as a % compared to .com.

Originally posted by mole
I agree that e and i were attractive in the days of artificial scarcity that .com created with 20m+ registrations covering every conceivable alphanumeric combination and nothing of meaning was left.

That's rapidly changing today.

I'm not convinced about your statement above, according to snapnames.com and zooknic.com stats current .com registrations total 21.5 million names; a figure which is roughly a 400% increase from July 99 5.7 million names. Though there is no doubt the domain values (of all extensions) generally have fallen dramatically since 2000.

https://www.sotd.info/sotd/Content/Documents/sotdQ102.pdf
http://www.zooknic.com/Domains/counts.html

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.net
makes the most sense out of all the available domain extensions.
it is very undervalued.... but i love them.

T

Tee

I disagree. .Net is a very make sense extension that's true but I think .info is way more relevant and even more inclusive. A network is a structure or construction. Information is the soul or life of the net!

I think and if I'm wrong I'm willin to admit it, that .info will make a mark.

I think .org has really been very very prominent the past year or so.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i disagree tee. while .info is a great extension....... one of the better ones..... it does not compare to .net

I think .info is better than all the other new extensions by far. Though the ultimate arbiter is surely the market?, and I haven't seen many .info sales, and the prices that I have seen appear to be a small fraction of .net values.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.info now stands at 770k+, .biz now stands at 660k+. And if you were to try to get the great generics now, chances are they are all gone.

Even at early 1999, .com was already saturating at 5m+, with over 25k names (I read somewhere) claimed to being registered each day!

But importantly, how many advertising.com or media.com were there? eadvertising.com, e-advertising.com or emedia.com or e-media.com in that scenario made a whole lot of sense. Especially when the whole world was going gagga over the WWW.

I feel that investors look more skeptically at names with e or i on them today. But that's another story.

T

Tee

That's cool.

I think (and wish other people thought too) that .orgs are very undervalued. They are as recognizable as .coms practically ( but maybe not for business).

Still, an awareness that one hopes can be shaped.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .biz is great, but if you are into the B2B model like I am.

It is estimated that by 2005, 40% of international business transactions will conduit over the internet. Most from bricks-to-clicks finally getting totally comfortable with the WWW.

You'ld be surprised how conservative many big B2Bs still are. They will invest into the internet because everyone is doing it, but nothing compared what goes on in the brick-and-mortar level.

But if you are B2C, stick to .com or .info

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators