Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

A beginner question about registrars...

James Michael Chiong

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here, please guide me. :)

How do you select a domain registrar when buying domains? What factors do you consider?

thank you so much!

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi James! :)

Welcome to DNF! %%-

Number one is security.
Second is support.
Third is price.

IMO

Best,

Ninjadomain
Yep, that pretty much covers it.

For higher dollar names, I would pay more for the security than for a name that does not hold as much value.

James Michael Chiong

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi James! :)

Welcome to DNF! %%-

Number one is security.
Second is support.
Third is price.

IMO

Best,

Ninjadomain

Thank you! care to elaborate on the security features domain registrars need to have? which registrars do you think offer the best value considering these factors?

Yep, that pretty much covers it.

For higher dollar names, I would pay more for the security than for a name that does not hold as much value.

thanks for this answer! as a follow up, do you buy all your domains from one registrar? or do you try out different ones to get the best value?

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, for security, on a LLL.com, for example, or any other domain that is highly desired, and could easily be sold in the 10,000+ range, you need to have two-factor-auth in order to prevent hacked transfers. I had Deleted.com stolen not once, but twice a decade ago, so I know a little about that.

But for me, if it is a 20 dollar domain, a hacker is less likely to bother to steal it, so I would be OK with more lax security. I like the prices at NameSilo for such names. I suggest you watch the videos on Domain Sherpa about security. Also here is the guy's list of two-factor registars - http://www.domainsherpa.com/domain-name-registrar-two-factor-authentication/

Another issue I have is interface-design, some are so complicated that you can barely understand what you can do, but again, for a high-dollar name, I would be willing to go through some hoops to have it secure.

James Michael Chiong

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Deleted! I'll look into the link you gave me.

is it an entirely different world of answers to ask about how you know whether a domain is valuable or not? :)

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like Epik, Godaddy, Hover, and some others.

The main thing is that you have security questions setup, 2 factor authentication, ip whitelist, login emails, etc.

Also, frequently check your control panel to make sure all of your domains are in your account.

Finally, keep a list of your domains, online and offline, to compare to what's in your account.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how you know whether a domain is valuable or not?

Well, that can come with time in the business, but a few things that can help guide you is checking DNJournal to see what people buy, check semrush or Google Adwords for keyword searches, and also you can us valuate.com (there are a few such sites) as an example of what may be more valuable than another. But don't take the free valuation as gospel, it could be more or less than that, but it is a good starting point, as it searches the search volumes, and the CPC numbers, Etc. But for example, you own ABC.com, that is valuable, but somerandomwords.com, you may want to check if it is searched before you buy the name.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators