Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Adam, I respectfully disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DotComGod
...If we banned every member that had any issue through all the domaining sites we would have very few members. I myself would also be banned. -=DCG=-

Are you saying that you shill bid up a name in auction then didn't bother with payment so you can try to buy it for cheaper price?

Domain Summit 2024

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that you shill bid up a name in auction then didn't bother with payment so you can try to buy it for cheaper price?

No, I agreed to a price and then backed out. No shill bidding involved.

... This was 9 years ago and I still feel bad about it.

-=DCG=-

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People are frustrated with this incident because the high level of planning. It is not something you would do in a moment of carelessness. Bidding and not following through is not the problem here. That happens all the time because people get carried away in auctions. However he was bidding to intercept and prevent the domain from being sold to somebody else.

Adam talked about giving people a second change. I think this is very nice. But the user has already a second chance. He can honour his bid and buy the name for $3100. Sometimes I don't understand people. If the difference between your reputation being ruined and saved is only $1100 USD, why not just do the right thing?

Also I disagree that this was outside dnforum. The pm offers before and after the sedo auction happened here at dnforum. If I were nam6641, I would feel let down by dnforum.

Link to original thread in case you missed it:
http://www.dnforum.com/f26/shady-dnforum-member-should-booted-off-dnforum-thread-450173.html

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I don't understand people. If the difference between your reputation being ruined and saved is only $1100 USD, why not just do the right thing?

I also agree with this, it certainly sin't worth $1100.

Also I disagree that this was outside dnforum. The pm offers before and after the sedo auction happened here at dnforum. If I were nam6641, I would feel let down by dnforum.

I am trying hard to see this point. I will probably review the threads in the am.

-=DCG=-

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, those people who pull moves like this where it is very tough to prove (Pm Offers....Offers at other forums....., etc) are the scum of the earth and far more dangerous to the forums. That type of stuff goes on all the time and nobody does anything about it.

I agree that fake “I have other offers” are common and wrong, but don’t think they are in the same category as killing someone’s auction with intentionally fake bids.

For example, if I were going to auction off Shrewd.com, I could honestly say that I have other offers or had other offers in the past two months. One was for $500 LOL.

If I ventured into dishonestly and said I had an offer for $15K the person buying it might be mislead into thinking the domain is worth $15K since someone else allegedly thought it was worth $15K.

Of course most resellers would take any “other offers” with a truckload of salt, but there are always novices to be fooled and swindled.

And as you noted, saying “I have another offer for $15K” essentially locks you into rejecting offers below $15K or looking like a cheat. – a self correcting measure.

And I have always felt insulted when someone pulls a “by coincidence I just received an offer” for an illiquid domain name and treat the guy as likely dishonest. - another self correcting measure

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you at anytime contacted the seller to provide proof for these offers?

I agree that fake “I have other offers” are common and wrong, but don’t think they are in the same category as killing someone’s auction with intentionally fake bids.

For example, if I were going to auction off Shrewd.com, I could honestly say that I have other offers or had other offers in the past two months. One was for $500 LOL.

If I ventured into dishonestly and said I had an offer for $15K the person buying it might be mislead into thinking the domain is worth $15K since someone else allegedly thought it was worth $15K.

Of course most resellers would take any “other offers” with a truckload of salt, but there are always novices to be fooled and swindled.

And as you noted, saying “I have another offer for $15K” essentially locks you into rejecting offers below $15K or looking like a cheat. – a self correcting measure.

And I have always felt insulted when someone pulls a “by coincidence I just received an offer” for an illiquid domain name and treat the guy as likely dishonest. - another self correcting measure

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are putting words in DCGs mouth as he did not mean in it that context Don.

I have to wonder about if someone thinks DBR is so great and it implies better integrity why bother to post here and not just stay at DBR?

so number of members is more important than integrity of membership?

remember the recent "best domain forum poll"?

3rd place went to a forum with 300 active and got 12% of the vote

so when it comes down to volume vs integrity

i'd rather have a few mf's i can trust, than a dn gang full of scumbags, weasels, conmen, comwomen, scam artists, pyramid builders, data theives, etc.

guess since i haven't had a deal go south yet, i can't sympathize

so, if i **** any of you "intentionally" in the future, either here on dnf or someother venue....

please give me a pass, cuz i got no vaseline for your ass

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really miss the days when we could see who was viewing the thread...it was always interesting on threads like these that you could usually see the infractors looking on....(sorry...slow day in the kitchen today :lol: )

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

If INTENTIONAL fake bidding, it does not look good.

Let think about some other possible scenerio. the bidder was bidding while getting frustrated with the other bidder (buyer 6 and 7 competing against each other after $6xx according to bidding history and he ended up bidding $3,100 expecting the other bidder to bid more than himself and he may be thinking that after the next bid, he would back off to make the other bidder to pay for the domain at high price because the other bidder spoiled the party (he was hoping to get it around $1,000 but because of bidder 7, he ended up very frustrated and lost his mind to bid over 3 k. But the other bidder ceased bidding and he ended up winner. He now realized he made mistake and try to get the domain for 2k. I don't know the exact story but thinking of possible another scenerio.

I don't know about you, guys. I sometimes go over the limit in biddding war especially if I get frustrated with the other bidder(s) and there were times I paid much more than I wanted to due to frustration and bidding war.

Domain bidding could be very intense at times and if you are under influence of alcohol or drugs, who knows you might end up bidding one million for reg fee domain.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dealt with KING.NET (TheWatcher) before. I closed some x,xxx deals with him without any problem. Having said that I don't trust him anymore, and have no respect for him, because I had some negative experience with him. I was stupid enough to trust him few year ago.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
imho,... ifthe transaction happened on sedo,.. it is their own turf to be resolved.

That said, if thee was OBVIOUS manipulation here at DNF, then sedo would have claim against DNF.

Nothing more.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
james2002,
It didn't happen at all like in your scenario. The whole story is not too far away. It is right here in the first message:
http://www.dnforum.com/f26/shady-dnforum-member-should-booted-off-dnforum-thread-450173.html

that what prompted me too to read this thread...

i dont remember if I ever dealt with him, as these days, username change helps
btw, if someone changes username, it will be reat to have written somewhere in his profile (formerly <userid>)
and yes, some one suggested to have the whos watching the thread , it is great!

as DCG said, for one deal gone awry, banning is too harsh,
but if it's many, then the itrader rating, goodwill does not help much

the only root cause of these repeated acts encouraging user to do more is due to the fact we are ignorant in leaving feedback assuming that it will backfire them and they too will be given negative feedback or how can i dare such a great trader?

nam6641

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
as DCG said, for one deal gone awry, banning is too harsh,
but if it's many, then the itrader rating, goodwill does not help much

i'm not suprised the "king" would do this. a transaction of ours went bad here i would never deal with him again. i should have left negative feedback so other might have been protected.

i see, unfortunately i was correct in my toughts about this domainer. i think he should be banned.

I dealt with KING.NET (TheWatcher) before. I closed some x,xxx deals with him without any problem. Having said that I don't trust him anymore, and have no respect for him, because I had some negative experience with him. I was stupid enough to trust him few year ago.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
by my statement quoted above - i meant: whatever the itrader or goodwill a person has, banning cannot be avoided for such activities (if repeated)

yes. we should give trader feedback for every deal, so even the admin knows there was a dispute or bad deal happened rather just giving opportunites

i am pending to give back ratings for few, which i will give by this weekend.
I do a monthly check of all my deals to ensure i do not miss any.

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If he wanted to do the honorable thing and be a man he would have offered to pay his bid of $3,100. That is manning up. Confessing when your hand are red is not an act to be rewarded.

but...I think "manning up" would be for the offending member to let the forum know that this was an isolated incident and pay for the auction he won. That would be manning up....maybe he has done this....we don't know because we have not heard from him.

I agree with those statements. Saying "sorry" simply isn't enough.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you at anytime contacted the seller to provide proof for these offers?

No I have never asked for proof of other offers.

My usual response if still interested is, “That’s too high for me. I am interested in it at (half or third) the alleged offer. Let me know if your other offer falls through.” And often they sell at half or third the alleged offer.

And I would not regard a friend (if not the same person) posting an offer as proof.

Seriously, does anyone here take an “other offer” as definitely true or does everyone one here think ”it might be true or it might be BS?”

Unfortunately novices are gullible and they think it’s as safe as eBay.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your rant here did not help your cause:

http://www.tld.org/whats-going-on-dnforum-everyone-is-responsible-to-clean-up-domaining

The bottom line is there is no direct proof on dnforum of any of this in the threads, which is where it needs to be. I respect privacy and will not go through people's PM's.

If linkedin and the legendary jp had issue with this member before they should have left negative feedback at the time, kicking dirt on someone when they are down is not appropriate.

Final line: The transaction happened on Great Domains (Sedo) and went bad on Sedo.

No banning will take place here.

You are free to place this member on your ignore list.

This thread should be a learning experince on two parts:

1) Dnforum will not enforce OUR rules against things that go bad on other sites, they have their own rules and should be followed. We are not the internet police for every website out there.
2) Make sure you have deals posted in threads, we will not look through people's PM's and breach people's privacy.

You are free to disagree but that's the decsion, do not start any more threads on this topic.

Thread closed.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let think about some other possible scenerio. the bidder was bidding while getting frustrated with the other bidder (buyer 6 and 7 competing against each other after $6xx according to bidding history and he ended up bidding $3,100 expecting the other bidder to bid more than himself and he may be thinking that after the next bid, he would back off to make the other bidder to pay for the domain at high price because the other bidder spoiled the party (he was hoping to get it around $1,000 but because of bidder 7, he ended up very frustrated and lost his mind to bid over 3 k. But the other bidder ceased bidding and he ended up winner. He now realized he made mistake and try to get the domain for 2k. I don't know the exact story but thinking of possible another scenerio.

... and how are we to know there was no shill bidding by buyer 7? or the identity od buyer 7.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom