Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Benno afternic.net does not resolve try this instead afternicsucks.com

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Did you say $50 ?

They RAISED the fee?

LOL

I want MY money back.

At least when they allowed ppl. to appraise everthing for '$50,000' , you could ask for '$50' for a DN and get some exposure.

As it is now, I wouldn't pay 50 cents.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As for doing the homework before coldcalling companies:
A nice thing i do from time to time BEFORE i call them up is to redirect (simple, no stealth/cloaked) the domain to their site( especially if the domain i wanna sell them is a generic one); good thing about that is if i talk to the decisionmaker on the phone i can ask him to just typein my domain to SEE what i mean.I then go on and tell him about typeins, searchengine optimizing and traffic.So in other words, redirecting the domain to their site gives them an instant impression what it FEELS like to own that domain and its explains things 100 times better than only words.
Just one lil thing of many...:)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
beatz, that redirect idea is great :) Thanks

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz As for doing the homework before coldcalling companies: A nice thing i do from time to time BEFORE i call them up is to redirect (simple, no stealth/cloaked) the domain to their site( especially if the domain i wanna sell them is a generic one); good thing about that is if i talk to the decisionmaker on the phone i can ask him to just typein my domain to SEE what i mean.I then go on and tell him about typeins, searchengine optimizing and traffic. So in other words, redirecting the domain to their site gives them an instant impression what it FEELS like to own that domain and its explains things 100 times better than only words. Just one lil thing of many...:)

Never thought of this. It's a very interesting idea.

Are most receptive to the idea? Does it really work? You said it was one of many ideas, what other ideas do you have?

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well...does it work fizz?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Afternic domain holders.. want to really drive afternic nuts.. take all the domains you own and keep them listed ..only under description add "Afternic sucks" if you would like to deal with the OWNER of this domain you may email me at ...... !

I started doing that with a couple domains then calmed down and realized how juvenile it was..ummmmbut then again thats why it was so much fun to begin with ! hahha

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>well...does it work fizz?

Nic, haven't had time to try it out yet, but it looks like it will work.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be sure to let us know the results, fizz ahaaaaaaaaaa... don't be selfish now.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another [ possible ] benefit that I see is that the website receiving the [ if there is ] forwarded traffic, can count the visitors and get a better idea of it's value. Are there any link liability issues? I'm wondering, because I was told not to do that by a company that wanted a domain name that I have.

quack :D

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Hello I 've got a domain here.. It sat for a while, ya know...I was going to develop it into someting but I never got around doing it. Ya know how this goes? <chuckle> :) <laugh with the person on the other end of the phone a bit>..

Hey, I was thinking! Do you want to buy it? I mean it's a g**damn waste.. it sitting sround unused and all... BUT, NO pressure! If you don;t want it, I 'll just let it expire, no sweat mahfriend .. SO, what do you say?"

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

beatz is offering free domainname logos for that :D [/B]

Who? Where? When? Free? what;s the website?

(DN business has been slow lately and all ran to get the free logos. Three years ago, they would 'all ve said "WHo needs stinking logos!?")

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
GreatDomains.com USED TO BE great: they have a lot of traffic from the buyers' end, and I sold a number of names through them and received payment in days (the fastest being 4 days and I got the cheque in a courier package). But then they start charging a $125 MINIMUM commission ...

$125 is really a deep cut if I only sell my domains for a few hundreds. They increase the rate a lot but 0 improvement on their services. But I heard a lot of bad things about AfterNIC.

Anyone of you have tried escrow.com? Is it good?

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
- Proactive marketing: Coldcall potential buyers.

Last time I acquired a .COM domain and offered it for $699 to the owners of its .NET and .ORG domain.

One of them replied and threatened to report to my ISP for spamming, and he also said that nobody would pay for this amount. Guess what? I managed to sell it for $699 to other buyer after 1 month. :) It is a true story.

Anyway, is it considered as a spam if we e-mail (got from whois record) to the owner of other domain types? For example, I own abc.com and I e-mail the owners of abc.net and abc.org, asking whether they are interested.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>Last time I acquired a .COM domain and offered it for $699 to the owners of its .NET and .ORG domain.

I guess spam could be considered to be any unsolicited mail. With the angry person you faced pixelman, it was probably more a matter of sour grapes that they didn't have the .com.

One day I noticed a fairly good .com wedding related name had just deleted, and being the nice person that I am, I sent off an e-mail to the person who owned the .net version to suggest they might want to reg the name quickly, and I also suggested the cheapest registrar to use. The person would not have known about the deletion that day.

Well they immediately regged the name at the registrar I recommended, but didn't even have the courtesy to take a minute to send off a quick thank you message to me for the heads up. That was the first and last time I'll be offering free domain advice to the public, lol

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on your definition of spam. It is unsolicited email, so if you think all unsolicited email is spam, then it is. However, if you kindly explain that you do not intend to bother them with follow ups that this is a one -time email only and that you got their email from , well, where else their site, I think you should be okay.

Now, if their email was not listed on a site and lets forget for a second the fact that whois records are public info, they may be more sensitive if you (went out of your way) to look them up.

Have you tried one of those anonymous domain name offer services for this type of ice breaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom