Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

airlines.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbeb

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Extremely impressive resumé. I wonder if any of the airlines are hiring?:D

Domain summit 2024

Decent name, I would expect it to sell for $3k+ to another domainer; not sure if corporates would really be interested though given the extension.

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sincerely apologize for thinking there was any legitimacy to this forum. I did not realize one person was allowed to use multiply identities.
I get bashed for names that I have sold, wow. I find it interesting that none of the opinions are backed by facts. For instance, how would one make money on airlines.net?, what would you sell? who would advertise on the site? PPC, oh yeah right!. Do any of you have experience in aviation? Why would this be a name you would hold on to? What sales have you bashers made to back up your statements of appraisals? What terrific names do you have? What Degree's do you hold?

Why would the previous owner let it drop if there was a value of 3,000. to 99,000? Maybe, no one ever expressed an interest, not even during the bubble days. I find it odd that when good names are about to expire the current owner is flooded with emails and calls, but yet this owner let it drop. Hmm.

As for my experience, I have worked extremely hard to get where I am at and find it more than disturbing that my efforts could be treated in such a negative manner. I welcome the opportunity to view the backgrounds of the negative posters.
But go ahead and make it personal if you can not deal with the facts, that is what children do. And by all means keep believing that someday you will get rich and retire from domain name sales.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stock pilot

lighten up I'm not sure why you regard the responses as offensive. I took them as humourous.

I find it interesting that none of the opinions are backed by facts
fact:687,000 overture searches for term "airlines"

fact:474 searches on OT for airlines.net

fact:airlines.net 248 links (built in traffic)

For instance, how would one make money on airlines.net

fact: airlines.com sell air tickets (natural use) travel you know!

fact: there are hundreds of affiliates for travel

But go ahead and make it personal if you can not deal with the facts, that is what children do. And by all means keep believing that someday you will get rich and retire from domain name sales.

fact: I work with some of the largest domain portfolio owners in the industry. guys that make millions a year. I also manage around 1000 webites of my own that use affiliates to handle the traffic. I know what they will pay for a good name. I know I wouldn't blink at a price of 5-10k for this.

I'm glad you've done so well selling your domains. You probably missed your calling. You should have been in sales:D

imo this is definately a 4 figure name, just for ppc alone (using ov stats to determine likely type ins).

I wouldn't expect it to be a corporate buy though either with it being a .net and plural which seriously restricts its potential.

garet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
StockPilot, I would pay $1,000 today to acquire the name for use. Thus, I'm confident that it has 4 figure value to the seller. I might pay more than that and would guess that others would go higher than I would on this one.

safesys, the .net definitely deducts but the plural is a plus in this case in my opinion. Overture search tool for July has 74 searches for airline.net and 474 for airlines.net. Another example: I'd rather have books.com than book.com but I'd take book.com over books.net I wouldn't argue that singular form is more often desirable in general. And having both is always nice if practical.

Yes, based on ov stats for direct conversion the plural is better - but big sales aren't done on converion - they're done on vanity.

I agree, books.com works better than book.com because the sellers sell and stock more than one.

Which do you think would appeal more to a bank - bank.com or banks.com?

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I appreciate the logical assumptions. However, it is no secret that the airlines have virtually cut out the commissions to travel agents. Within one year the travel agent will be completely shut out of the ticket resale business. The only way you will be able to purchase an airline ticket in the future is through the airlines home page or a shared site like orbitz.com. Furthermore, the FAA has mandated that airlines come up with additional security measures that include verification of the person purchasing the ticket and the ability to retrieve information including past purchases among other security measures. Third party ticket sales are a thing of the past. No revenue possibilities there.

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin
Stock pilot

fact: I work with some of the largest domain portfolio owners in the industry. guys that make millions a year. I also manage around 1000 webites of my own that use affiliates to handle the traffic. I know what they will pay for a good name. I know I wouldn't blink at a price of 5-10k for this.

Sounds good how would one verify your claims?
D

garet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
safesys -- bank.com does seem more attractive for a bank. I don't --and didn't-- argue that the singular form might be the better form more often.

StockPilot, air commissions are already zero for most but air-related traffic can and does convert to add-on sales for hotels, cars, etc. There's still some money to be made in airline tickets but it's slim and it's the toughest place to make money in travel. It's also the highest in pure volume. Based on experience, I disagree with your assumption regarding no revenue possibilities. It just isn't easy.

The sheer volume of the traffic, assuming the ov stats havn't been tampered with, would mean that you could convert it via ppc even if tickets were removed from the equation.

I would expect in the hands of any established converter that the domain would yield well in excess of $2k per year just off that traffic.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by StockPilot
Why would the previous owner let it drop if there was a value of 3,000. to 99,000?

There are many reasons why people let go of names worth tens of thousands of dollars: a firm goes belly-up and its domains are forgotten, registrant is complacent and ignores renewal notices, registrant dies, registrant gives up on domains and dumps entire portfolio not realizing the value of one or two, etc etc.

When you see 50k name in the delete cycle, you shake your head in wonder...and then just go for it!!!

MarkyMark

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dear stockpilot,

I did not expect the cavalry to come to my rescue, but oh how they did!

I looked through your alleged sales list with WMD and to my surprise saw that approx. 10 of the domains were available to register (that smells a no-sale a long way...), and approx. 10 of the domains were still registered to your name.

How can you be so naive as to believe that your bluff will not be called when the call is just a few clicks away?

I believe you have made a few good sales, no doubt about it, where there is smoke and so on...

But come on mister aviator!

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds good how would one verify your claims?
D

Faith my friend, faith:D

Same courtesy I gave you.

Not to mention the dozen or so people who haunt this forum that can and have vouched for me in the past:D

I am well aware of the airline ticket trend. But as noted the add ons for hotels and cars etc make it worthwhile.

the ppc payments go as high as .23 a click for vacations and .20 for airline. based on traffic I would expect this domain to turn around 300+ per month.

In short a 20 - 30 month breakeven on 7-10k

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well if you look at my past posts, I had posted that in fact I have sold names that were later allowed to drop by the purchaser, i.e. TheCyberBroker.com, even had a web site that you can check with your archive cache . Some names just never were transferred by the purchaser. TheCybernet.com was one of my biggest sales, during my research I saw it was about to expire so I burned one of my snapbacks, easily verifiable. I have always conducted myself in an honorable manner and have never posted anything that was not verifiable, you just proved my point about the subjective value of domain names, so let me know which names you are referring to and I will give you the ability to verify.

MBZ

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stock Pilot,

No personal attack here. I've found most of your posts to be
interesting and intelligently presented, even though I haven't
always agreed. I would like to know, seriously, how you sold
such a list of names for 150K in three years? I would love to
follow your marketing strategy - remarkable results.

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no single marketing strategy that has worked for me, that's one point I've tried to make. Approx 100,000. came from three separate sales, one was a group of names that was involved in a tm dispute, two others were calls I received from attorneys representing their clients and made offers of significant money. Approx. 40,000 are a handful of sales that came from unsolicited emails with offers that ranged anywhere from 1,000. to 5,000. The rest came from Afternic and ebay auction sales, with Afternic producing the better results. However, the time spent trying to collect the money (Afternic absolutely sucked on this point), dealing with fake bids, non payers, relisting auctions, sifting through ridiculous emails, spamers and transfer problems, I would have made more money per hour working at McDonalds than dealing with the auctions. I have found that a domain name is worth only what somebody is wiling to pay. This is why I am very skeptical of appraisals on this forum, especially when there is no logical reasoning.
One of the names I sold for more than 25,000 was a name that I twice listed on ebay and never got more than a 50.00 bid, I later declined an email with an offer of 150.00, then one day I get a call from a lawyer, he made an offer, I made a counter offer and the next day he called back and accepted my counter offer. Two years later the name actually was allowed to expire (never had a web page on it) and I snapped it back up. This resale business is fickle at best. I would love to hear of a sales strategy that works and verifiable. As far the PPC claims on this forum, I have a good friend with an MBA From SMU's Cox School of Business, who is an executive at Yahoo, he is telling me the numbers presented on this forum are not realistic. These guys on this forum do not reveal any names they hold or have sold, what type of education or background they have, makes you wonder. Not to mention individuals posting on the same thread with different ids. So good luck in your search and when you find the answer let me know. I would be the first to invest. I seriously doubt you will find it here on this forum though.

Originally posted by StockPilot

As far the PPC claims on this forum, I have a good friend with an MBA From SMU's Cox School of Business, who is an executive at Yahoo, he is telling me the numbers presented on this forum are not realistic. These guys on this forum do not reveal any names they hold or have sold, what type of education or background they have, makes you wonder.

They have classes about type in domains and ppc at business schools?

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy

They have classes about type in domains and ppc at business schools?
Don't tell me I'm in the wrong school...:upset: :swg:

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
//EDIT:SPAM-REMOVED (AGAIN)// is much better than airlines.net

http://www.dnforum.com/rules.php

Members will not be allowed to promote thier own website/business outside of the Advertising forums, members will be warned and could also loose their forum membership if "spamming" on the forums where it is not allowed. Each forum will be monitored for content. Any content that violates DNForum's policies of acceptable use may be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators