Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

An important message from Snapnames

Will you use Snapnames, Moniker or any other Oversee company again?

• Yes

Votes: 83 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 72 46.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
exactly Steve.

And those were just two quotes I found... there were many, many times that he and other Snap reps said the same thing whenever questioned.

They knew.

still waiting for that case number too, 24/clown

This issue is huge. Not only as a potential "company crumbling liability" for Snap Names and Oversee, but for every registrar that caught domain names for them. The way I understood it was that the revenue from the auction sales, was split between the catching registrar and Snap Names. This includes Network Solutions, as well as many other registrars worldwide. Thus - they would all be a party to this action, I assume, as they would have to refund their profits as well, to the parties that were affected. Or they would have to refund the monies they earned to Snap Names, who would do the refund to their clients. Either way - this could directly upset the profits and balance sheets of a number of publically traded and private companies (who I am sure will not just sit back and let this happen without some type of a fight).

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
which is exactly why I keep saying that burned customers need to file reports to State and Federal authorities... not just "internet crimes division" or the like, but FBI/ AttyGenerals, that sort of thing.

Even if the guy DID act alone and unknown to the rest of the company (which I find extremely unlikely) it is still the company that was responsible for the actions of that employee. Auction fraud is illegal and so is Interstate / International Wire Fraud. The company (SnapNames) was the recipient of the ill gotten gains... Nelson, not so much...

As long as there is not any investigation by the authorities, the other bad actors will go on unseen... that doesn't bode well for the company in my mind.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to name any names but I find it quite amusing that someone here is patting themselves on the back for being involved with ICANN which is in itself the most corrupt organization on the internet. BTW where are they in all this? Are they planning their next trip to some exotic location on my $.20 a domain?

Last edited:

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is reasonable to think that high managers at Snapnames were aware... because if they did.... then why would they uncover this and tell the history to everybody?

Actually, I think they are acting nice, really.... I mean really.

If this happened in another country, the managers would asked Nelson a share of the profits and everybodys happy.... then, remove halvarez user quitely....
and why not.... create a good plan to do it even better by creating a dozen of users and rotating them...

So, I am, really, somehow grateful that this didn't happen in any other country.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is reasonable to think that high managers at Snapnames were aware... because if they did.... then why would they uncover this and tell the history to everybody?

If this happened in another country, the managers would asked Nelson a share of the profits and everybodys happy.... then, remove halvarez user quitely....
and why not.... create a good plan to do it even better by creating a dozen of users and rotating them...

So, I am, really, somehow grateful that this didn't happen in any other country.

If I had to guess they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their heart. If I were to take a even bigger leap this is being forced.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to name any names but I find it quite amusing that someone here is patting themselves on the back for being involved with ICANN which is in itself the most corrupt organization on the internet. BTW where are they in all this? Are they planning their next trip to some exotic location on my $.20 a domain?

Nobody is patting themselves on the back. I was responding to the twit proclaiming that I have done nothing to protect our industry, when the exact opposite is true. I'm not "involved" with ICANN in the manner you are depicting, I've gone to fight for Registrant's rights. If you don't show up, don't be surprised when you are not heard.

You're right, they are corrupt. And, yes, they are planning their next great adventure abroad on your dime.. err, 20 cents... mine too!

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This issue is huge. Not only as a potential "company crumbling liability" for Snap Names and Oversee, but for every registrar that caught domain names for them. The way I understood it was that the revenue from the auction sales, was split between the catching registrar and Snap Names. This includes Network Solutions, as well as many other registrars worldwide. Thus - they would all be a party to this action, I assume, as they would have to refund their profits as well, to the parties that were affected. Or they would have to refund the monies they earned to Snap Names, who would do the refund to their clients. Either way - this could directly upset the profits and balance sheets of a number of publically traded and private companies (who I am sure will not just sit back and let this happen without some type of a fight).

The math on this loss to Oversee as I see it, is very large. Take 50,000 auctions and say the fraudulent bid-up was only $50 - that is $2.5 Million. We had one auction alone that he ran the bid up from $200 to $10.5K. Our settlement offer from them in total, after we used their services since they started the company and participated in thousands of auctions, was less than $200. Amazing - Steve

I'm surprised you guys didn't get hit hard. That in itself seems fishy. (not on your end) Was there always a mysterious bidder jumping in after him driving up the price? Our average was $67 per domain $xxxx in total not counting not finishing 2nd.

Nobody is patting themselves on the back. I was responding to the twit proclaiming that I have done nothing to protect our industry, when the exact opposite is true. I'm not "involved" with ICANN in the manner you are depicting, I've gone to fight for Registrant's rights. If you don't show up, don't be surprised when you are not heard.

You're right, they are corrupt. And, yes, they are planning their next great adventure abroad on your dime.. err, 20 cents... mine too!

Fair enough. And yeah they think so highly of themselves they get two dimes..

Last edited:

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Talking about yourself again?! :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: :asleep: :asleep:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

You would never of heard of any of this if Snap didn't sell to Oversee. I think that is what blew it wide open. Oversee saw that certain numbers just didn't add up and went from there. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was someone threatening to expose them, so they beat the to the punch and try to look like the good guys. I feel for Oversee in this situation though as they bought into snapnames totally unaware and now have to pay out for the former owners scam.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Of course they were aware!! Of course they were. If the lowest standard of being aware is turning your back on your cash cow and the highest standard of being aware is being involved in orchestrating it. I don't know which one it is, but either option makes them complicit! This is what people have to calculate in their mind.

No reasonable person who has any shred of business experience at that level would ever think they didn't know about halverez and who he was when he was their best customer and people were screaming bloody murder for years all over the boards. Let me ask you: do you think they knew who Frank Schilling was? Steve from Vertical Access? Um, yeah, they knew who they were since they were pouring money into their business. I won't repeat what Steve from VA told me, except to say he was completely blown away with Nelson's reveal as they worked very closely over the years, AS YOU WOULD WITH YOUR BIGGEST CUSTOMERS.

But they never knew who halvarez was? Please.

There are plenty of inexperienced or part-time domainers on this board, some of you who haven't seen this script written over and over in the domain world. This business has been only marginally legal for many,many years and certainly it is filled with conflicts-of-interest glowing like a meteorite. The tendency to shill bid has never been prevented in any real way.

Looking the other way is the least of what SnapNames execs did. The worst is yet to be revealed. But it will come out because someone involved will realize that the cover-up will throw a cloud over their reps for years to come. Either veiled threats or hush money is keeping the silly lone gun theory in place, but who with a brain would believe a word said. Not me.

Last edited:

ilovedomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Think you mean Oversee managers.

Oversee will probably take previous Snapnames owners to court to try and get some of their money back, so it would have all been uncovered anyway.

Im sure they looked at all options, and decideded fessing up and offering to make it good was the best way to go.

Last edited:

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you mean "Oversee" managers, right? I don't think "Overture" had anything to do with this ;)

ilovedomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you mean "Oversee" managers, right? I don't think "Overture" had anything to do with this ;)

Oops, just corrected it. :)

Your right BTW. If we put as much effort into lobbying ICANN as we do complaining on the boards, things might be different.

Last edited:

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Enjoy your beer ;)

Lifes to short for us to be arguing!

ChineseFriendship.jpg

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just a heads up,
overseesucks.com is available to register :smilewinkgrin:

whoever gets it must develop it though ....................

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are expanding abroad now... good luck what a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators