Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Any Possibility To Remove A Sales History Record?

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own a few domains where the sales history is stored in namebio. I just sent them a message today asking them to be removed as they were all bought from expiring auctions where the sale is supposed to be private and only including the private bidders entitled to it.

Will send to estibot next. I see that having a domain sales history in place, simply kills that chance to sell the domain on a marketplace at retail prices when people can just see the bought at prices! Also, when you do outbound reach and talk to someone about a 5-6 figure sale, when the history is there showing you bought it for much lower, this simply kills the negotiations. I know this is not everytime, but its at least killing 50% of the prospect buyers.
Do you agree with this?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You need to be complaining to the companies auctioning the domains, that release this info.

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They dont release the info. Godaddy confirmed it. Its that Namebio gets the data manually. I tracked it, whenever a domains has more than 2 bids with 12 hours or more left, they simply watch the auction and then are able at the end of the day to have a batch in their watch tab.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also, when you do outbound reach and talk to someone about a 5-6 figure sale, when the history is there showing you bought it for much lower, this simply kills the negotiations. I know this is not everytime, but its at least killing 50% of the prospect buyers.
Not so many domain names can legitimately command 5- or 6-figure prices. I'd be curious about your portfolio. If you are asking for high prices it's normal that people will do more extensive research. Especially if 'comparable' domains sell in a much lower range.
Also, if you do inbound instead of 'outbound', the balance of negotiation is different. Since they 'need' the domain more than you 'need' to sell, they may be less likely to question your asking price.

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are right... However let me point out that my asking prices are always inline with historical sales. Just take for example TOMN(.)com, I bought this one from a Godaddy auction for 850. This one should easily retail above 3K, but if the buyer sees that I bought it for 850, they would never put more than 1.2K on the table. Just my 2 cents.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You'd be surprised by the number of $20/$30 acquisitions here on DNF that I turned into four and five figure sales. The bottom line is, if someone wants the domain, they will pay your asking price, provided that they have the budget.

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised by the number of $20/$30 acquisitions here on DNF that I turned into four and five figure sales. The bottom line is, if someone wants the domain, they will pay your asking price, provided that they have the budget.
yes, but there is no reference for these sales history :)

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I would not worry about it and I doubt if you can do anything to remove the name.

When they want the name - they want the name regardless of what the sold price in the past.
Bought a $10 name right here on DNF and I sold it for $25K.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a common situation to be in, for your quad example you paid a good amount for it, a bit on the high side but worth it, and it's OK to ask for $3K at least. I'm not sure you'll get it but it's not out of line, w/o researching it it's a great acronym and has Tom as the first three letters, right there any Tom N should potentially want it. They saw you paid "just $850" and are using that to pay what they want. Ignore them and move on unless you feel $1,200 is a good selling price. Explain to them it's all about the market value for such a good quad and its many possibilities for so many people, companies, organizations, etc and in most languages. The profit you're making can't be dictated by a buyer based on the price paid for it. If they don't know how to appreciate a domain then they don't deserve to get it lol...

I had a situation where a guy was watching a SnapNames auction long ago where I won, two years later he emails me reminding me what I paid for it and that I should only get so much more (he decided that) for it, and that it was a good enough ROI ?! Needless to say I did not sell to him... and some people will argue previous prices paid for a domain are in fact more relevant than some figure straight out of left field Estibot gives noobs.

Marketplaces release the info they want, their lawyers bury those rights in ultra-fine print when you buy domains thru them. IMO if you get a domain at BIN or in open auction (inc expired domains sold in public auctions) then they're free to release that info, but I agree it kills potential deals from buyers who'll see sellers as making too much money. But if you get it in an O/C-O I don't think they should release it, it's still technically a marketplace transaction but it's more private. And if you buy it thru domain acquisition then they should not be allowed to release that at all (but domainers are greedy bastards according to many talking heads outside the trade, remember ? lol....and we can't really fight that) :rolleyes:
.... Just take for example TOMN(.)com, I bought this one from a Godaddy auction for 850. This one should easily retail above 3K, but if the buyer sees that I bought it for 850, they would never put more than 1.2K on the table. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, the truth is, it's public information. Those auctions are held in a public setting, where no login, or approval is required for one to view the domains, and correspondingly, the bids that are being placed on it. With that being said, they are simply reiterating information which, at one point, could plainly be seen by all. Because the auction company was under no obligation to keep the happenings of the auction private, you essentially have no recourse, as far as getting the price taken down is concerned. Namebio is in the business of publishing relevant selling prices of domain names, so they really have no motive (and certainly no obligation) to comply with any request of yours to have it removed.

Does this mean that a shown sale price of $69 is the end of a five-figure sale for you? Absolutely not. Remember, it's very possible that the potential buyer is clueless (the type who googles "how much is a domain name worth?", types your domain into an estimator, and encounters this figure next to that very name, as the "sold" price).

Based on that, you could tell them any number of things, such as "$69 per month to rent it, perhaps... certainly not as a sale price... are you sure you read that correctly?".

Short version... you can't get the price taken down.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ditto what Maxwell said.

As someone who makes a nice living aggregating and reselling public information, I can tell you that unless there is a law requiring it, it ain't gonna happen.

And as far as I know, there ain't no law.

The fact is that past numbers are irrelevant today, and the only thing that matters is what it is worth to you, Mr. Enduser Customer Sir.

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone for the support on this. I will act accordingly :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom