Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Any Registrars That Do Not Charge "admin Fee" For Receiving Udrp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've just been hit with my first UDRP (long, separate story, but it's under control for now)... and it appears that Godaddy has charged my credit card with a $50.00 "administrative fee" for "processing" the UDRP.

This is just receiving an email. I do not understand why this justifies a fee. I understand that I agreed to the fee in the fine print, and for that reason, will not be contesting it. I agree to pay it. However, this, in addition to a couple of other points that I don't fully agree with for GoDaddy make me want to take all my domain names out.

So, with that being said... are there any registrars that are known to not charge such a fee? This would be helpful in my decision making process for my new registrar.

Somatic

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ridiculous. I've got UDRP domain within dynadot.com never got any fee, Dynadot just blocked domain for transfer-out and sent me a notification email.

Does this charge will be returned if you win UDRP?

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ridiculous. I've got UDRP domain within dynadot.com never got any fee, Dynadot just blocked domain for transfer-out and sent me a notification email.

Does this charge will be returned if you win UDRP?

I'd have to read the text of the agreement, to see what it stipulates exactly, but probably not. Honestly, it's just a cash-grab for GoDaddy. It's like the story that came up recently, of the hotel charging $8.00 for a Diet Coke from a mini-bar. They have you over a barrel.

Honestly, I'd have kept my domains there otherwise, given the effort to transfer them out. But as long as I know I'm in line to be billed silly fees such as these, it's not worth having the feeling that any small action that may happen could result in me getting fleeced.

If losing my business is worth $50.00 to them... then so be it. Just $50.00 will not make them rich, or me poor. So that's their choice, to play their customers like that.

Dynadot's on the list, then. Anyone else?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's another typical Nodaddy policy. Any other registrar won't charge you anything.
However, I believe the 'fee' is refundable if you win the UDRP.

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration, but UDRPs don't come in very often. Don't base your choice of registrar on the UDRP fee.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
glowdiddly isn't really domainer friendly

suppose, some mo-fo filed udrp's against all your names there....imagine the potential hit on your cc then.

hate to experience them ramifications without no vaseline

:)
hope you get a refund

imo...

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree UDRPs do not come often but still charging a processing fee does not seem to be a common industry practice. Every domain registrar has its pros and cons and domain investors should select carefully.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also, just an update on the situation... still working on the UDRP itself - but I have found an "out" to the UDRP fee. It is as follows...

- The Godaddy TOS prescribes an "administration fee" (of no specified amount) for performing "additional services", such as matters pertaining to UDRP filings
- WIPO's list of registrar responsibilities (as seen here) prescribes only a limited scope of action that is necessary on the registrar's part (which is only natural, since the registrar is not actually party to the UDRP proceeding).
- All three of the things that are on this list are things that ICANN rules (specifically, the registrar accreditation agreement) contractually require a registrar to do, in respect to names that are registered with it. Meaning that doing as WIPO told them is mandatory for them, as per the agreement they are bound to. They do not have grounds to pass the cost on to me, outside of the fee I have already paid them to register the domain in the first place.

I've emailed the particulars to Godaddy and requested a refund, and they've tried to deny responsibility. So I will be filing a chargeback with my credit card this week (as I was charged for something that I did not incur, and therefore do not have to pay)... as soon as I get all of my domains out of there, of course.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're dealing with LoDaddy here, Maxwell, good luck getting refunded, normally it takes an acct manager who values and respects you as a client and that's only if you're some level of Premier. And I just don't think BloDaddy would reimburse you if you win the dispute either (katherine's comment) In fact, have you looked closer in your acct ? Go into Order Confirmations, you may have already been charged an additional penalty and not even been notified. I bet there's another fee of $20 for BloDaddy simply having received a C&D, it's standard practice to send a C&D to the registrant first (with a copy to the registrar), if not compulsory. Eve if a 6 yr-old contacts GD saying you're violating something of his, somewhere, for some stupid reason or no reason at all, GD assesses that charge and I could not get out of it. It costs someone $70 having GD as registrar when the challenge occurs. Look at the language (although scripted) in both their email responding to the C&D (telling you to respond to the claimant and send GD a copy), and the "up your ass" tone of the email you got when GD got its copy of the UDRP (your domain is now under registrar lock btw and GD will happily hand it over to your enemies if they win), it is disgusting how they treat loyal customers who've been taking all their bullshit for yrs. They tell you you're on your own, it's your problem, the registrar will not get involved, that they must listen to the arbitrating body and GD Legal has UDRP protocols that must be followed, etc

I was already pissed at MoDaddy when that UDRP happened and I almost left completely. Then I saw what I was dealing with as far as its competitors, cost, convenience for aftermarket, etc so I'm still with them but only part of my names are there, the most valuable ones are not. I was able to get assigned an acct manager for PremierSilver based on volume, etc and for the 1st time I got a great one, but even he couldn't reverse many things GD had done to me and money they owed me, including this $70 as UDRP + C&D penalizations. I agree you should not choose a registrar based on whether or not they penalize you for receiving a dispute, or how much the charge is at different registrars (asfas' comment) UDRPs won't happen that often, hopefully. But technically any guy who hates your guts you can send 100 C&Ds to GD for no reason, they can do 20 for 20 of your domains, even if it's the same guy doing that, meaning GD will make $20 X 20 = $400 for just seeing a C&D, even if they're groundless (biggie's comment) A case I had involved a true moron sending GD a C&D for a numerical domain, and he did not even mention what domain/mark of his it was that my domain was infringing on. Not to me and not to GD, ever. I still don't know. I am not joking. And I got charged $20. For possibly "violating" an unnamed domain/mark of his. It did not go to UDRP, the scumbag did not have the required $1,500 or knew he had no claim at all

It was smart of you to read the fine print and find those clauses and GD will fight it, tho what you found makes sense. If you do a lot of business with them in terms of money, or just have a large portfolio even if you don't spend all that much or buy/sell on GD, then threaten to leave but they don't need us as customers, they're #1 and have too many. As far as disputing the $50 charge with the cc, the moment GD finds out their charge was reversed you'll be blocked from accessing your acct until you pay it again. And some registrars have punitive fees for those actions, ie they'll charge another fee just because you even did that. I thought of doing the exact same thing when my UDRP happened but knew what they'd do if I tried (once before I'd bought a name on GD and the jerk who listed it contacted me he didn't own it anymore and that he'd contacted GD, I thought making payment was useless, but even knowing that what I bought was not going to be given to me, GD still had me pay and to file a dispute with Auctions if I wanted to get into my acct) If you find a registrar with double auth sign-in and/or good security, prices you can afford, where Support is decent, then move your names out. GD has many features in their CP you won't find in most others and that's to be considered, plus their marketplace works best if names are regged there. Their DDC also works if you do a lot of volume. I decided to grin and bear it and stayed in great part because of my acct manager, but moved out a lot of names. LoDaddy or BloDaddy is best known for its low blows lol, you're getting a taste of this, and I hope the other side loses ! (Hiring an IP lawyer or not is another dilemma, whether it's a valuable enough domain worth paying hefty legal fees for) ;)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good going! Is there a particular Tucows registrar that you recommend? I think that will be very helpful for me, if I ever encounter something like this again.

You can get your own Tucows/OpenSRS wholesale reseller account for $95 (one time):

https://opensrs.com/join/

which gives you maximum control, and their lowest pricing:

https://opensrs.com/services/domains/domain-pricing/

(you don't have to use their "API" for a wholesale account; you can use their web interface, which is what I do)

Tucows also operates Hover.com, which is their "retail" brand.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're dealing with LoDaddy here, Maxwell, good luck getting refunded, normally it takes an acct manager who values and respects you as a client and that's only if you're some level of Premier. And I just don't think BloDaddy would reimburse you if you win the dispute either (katherine's comment) In fact, have you looked closer in your acct ? Go into Order Confirmations, you may have already been charged an additional penalty and not even been notified. I bet there's another fee of $20 for BloDaddy simply having received a C&D, it's standard practice to send a C&D to the registrant first (with a copy to the registrar), if not compulsory. Eve if a 6 yr-old contacts GD saying you're violating something of his, somewhere, for some stupid reason or no reason at all, GD assesses that charge and I could not get out of it. It costs someone $70 for the privilege of having GD as registrar when the challenge occurs. Look at the language (although scripted) in both their email responding to the C&D (telling you to respond to the claimant and send GD a copy), and the "up your ass" tone of the email you got when GD got its copy of the UDRP (your domain is now under registrar lock btw and GD will happily hand it over to your enemies if they win), it is disgusting how they treat loyal customers who've been taking all their bullshit for yrs. They tell you you're on your own, it's your problem, the registrar will not get involved, that they must listen to the arbitrating body and GD Legal has UDRP protocols that must be followed, etc

I was already pissed at MoDaddy when that UDRP happened and I almost left completely. Then I saw what I was dealing with as far as its competitors, cost, convenience for aftermarket, etc so I'm still with them but only part of my names are there, the most valuable ones are not. I was able to get assigned an acct manager for PremierGold based on volume, etc and for the 1st time I got a great one, but even he couldn't reverse many things GD had done to me and money they owed me, including this $70 as UDRP + C&D penalizations. I agree you should not choose a registrar based on whether or not they penalize you for receiving a dispute, or how much the charge is at different registrars (asfas' comment) UDRPs won't happen that often, hopefully. But technically any guy who hates your guts you can send 100 C&Ds to GD for no reason, they can do 20 for 20 of your domains, even if it's the same guy doing that, meaning GD will make $20 X 20 = $400 for just seeing a C&D, even if they're groundless (biggie's comment) A case I had involved a true moron sending GD a C&D for a numerical domain, and he did not even mention what domain/mark of his it was that my domain was infringing on. Not to me and not to GD, ever. I still don't know. I am not joking. And I got charged $20. For possibly "violating" an unnamed domain/mark of his. It did not go to UDRP, the scumbag did not have the required $1,500 or knew he had no claim at all

It was smart of you to read the fine print and find those clauses and GD will fight it, tho what you found makes sense. If you do a lot of business with them in terms of money, or just have a large portfolio even if you don't spend all that much or buy/sell on GD, then threaten to leave but they don't need us as customers, they're #1 and have too many. As far as disputing the $50 charge with the cc, the moment GD finds out their charge was reversed you'll be blocked from accessing your acct until you pay it again. And some registrars have punitive fees for those action, ie they'll charge another fee just because you even did that. I thought of doing the exact same thing when my UDRP happened but knew what they'd do if I tried (once before I'd bought a name on GD and the jerk who listed it contacted me he didn't own it anymore and that he'd contacted GD, I thought making payment was useless, but even knowing that what I bought was not going to be given to me, GD still had me pay and to file a dispute with Auctions if I wanted to get into my acct) If you find a registrar with double auth sign-in and/or good security, prices you can afford, then move your names out. GD has many features in their CP you won't find in most others and that's to be considered, plus their marketplace works best if names are regged there. Their DDC also works if you do a lot of volume. I decided to grin and bear it and stayed in great part because of my acct manager, but moved out a lot of names. LoDaddy or BloDaddy is best know for its low blows lol, you're getting a taste of this, and I hope the other side loses ! (Hiring an IP lawyer or not is another dilemma, whether it's a valuable enough domain worth paying hefty legal fees for) ;)

Wow! Dude, that's positively ludicrous, that they would go on to charge you just for receiving those letters. I'm out of there for sure. In the middle of starting a transfer-out right now. I check my credit card statements meticulously, and was not charged any $20.00 fee for receiving the C&D (which is strange based on what you said - NetNames e-enforcement emailed me only, and not the registrar).

I have already threatened to leave, but the guy I spoke to did not care. Whatever. I'm not the first guy to tell him that - but I could be the first to act upon it. As a former telemarketer who has been threatened hundreds of times, but had nothing actually happen, I'm sure he sees me as another empty threat. Too bad this one's not empty.

As far as the chargeback goes, I have filed a chargeback against Godaddy before (for about $18.00), and they refunded the money prior to any decision actually getting issued. I received no fines or anything for it.

But I'm not worried. They can go right ahead and lock me out of my account. I don't need to get into there if I have no more domains there. What are they going to do? Take my domains? They'll be at another registar. Charge my credit card with one of their "fines"? I'll file a chargeback on that charge, too. Actually, I probably won't even have to - because any time I've filed a chargeback before, they've blocked any further charges from that merchant automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom