Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anyone Here Have a Cat? Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A couple of days ago, I found an abandoned kitten in a park near my home.
I brought her home and have been taking care of her for the past two days.

Now I've never had a cat before. I've had dogs, so I know everything about caring for them. With kittens, I have no idea whatsoever.

I've been looking around on the internet and have found much of the information I need about feeding her. However, the kitten doesn't eat much at all, drinks very little milk. I've tried feeding her with a bottle which she takes out of her mouth very quickly. She does drink a little milk from her bowl from time to time, but not enough, I'm afraid.

Any ideas as to how I can get her to eat more?

I have no idea as to how old she is. She is about 10 inches in length, thin, is somewhat clumsy when walking. She also shivers a lot, but calms down when she is sitting in my lap.

I'm sure there have to be a few cat lovers here. Any help/tips in raising this kitten will be very very appreciated.

Thanks guys.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cats can be finicky with their food - what are you feeding her? Also, she might (most likely) has worms, you might want to take her to a vet to be checked out. Check her for fleas and ticks, too. If she has fleas, a bath (use regular shampoo to clean her) will help that (she won't like it). If she has ticks, you'll need a shampoo for ticks.

Try some vanilla ice cream (regular vanilla). Cats tend to like it and it has fat and sugar in it which will give her energy and put some meat on her bones.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First thing's first - take her to the vet and have them check her out. :)

Last edited:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, sounds like she needs a vet visit. Are you giving her dry food or wet food? If you have been giving her dry, try the wet or vice versa. I also found my cat doesn't like generic cat food nor can our dogs stomach anything besides Alpo. Sometimes, it's the brand. Or it may be the fact that she needs time to adjust. We took in an abandoned puppy a few weeks ago and had a few dietary problems at first. Either way, get her to the vet soon.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The vet will be able to tell you the age of the kitten and what to feed her. If you give her milk, make sure it's not right off the fridge. It has to be very slightly warmed (lukewarm).

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should definitely take her to a vet and have her checked up.

BTW, that's a great thing to do Puranjay! People who are kind to animals are usually great people overall.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Acro, Ed, Tia. Thanks for the kind words Stian.

I'd already booked an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning. But her behavior was making me very nervous and apprehensive.

I've had pets ever since I was a kid, but then, the onus of responsibility fell on my parents. This is the first pet I've had myself, and its so scary sometimes, taking care of something so vulnerable and tiny. I've always been a dog person, but this kitten was just so adorable...

Ed, I'll definitely try the vanilla ice cream tip. Sounds good.

Btw, for all you guys, here is a picture of Mittens sleeping ever so peacefully:

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/11/11/f_CIMG0856m_fe77264.jpg

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cats and dogs can't metabolize sugar like we can, even though it's common practice to feed pets ice cream. Talk to your vet before trying any off the beaten path foods.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's run the contest how to name your cat, man!

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the cat not drinking much. They are, well, "catty" & do things when they are good and ready. It sounds to me like the cat now is "in control" and at your beck & call.
Kitty's mission accomplished.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
make sure the kitten is drinking water not just milk... esp if you are feeding it dry food.

post some pics of the kitten...

:yo:

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally - It really it isn't advised to give a cat milk however a kitten may need specially formulated milk for awhile depending on the age. Make sure water is always available and do go to the vet for the best advice on which foods to feed her/him.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My cat Cristal (I've found in the street) eat hamburgers for 7 days now she's big and strong...

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My cat Cristal (I've found in the street) eat hamburgers for 7 days now she's big and strong...

Hamburgers...:pound: Maybe you didn't find a Cat...maybe you have a Tiger...lol

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hamburgers...:pound: Maybe you didn't find a Cat...maybe you have a Tiger...lol

LOL
I've find her in the street in a raining day...I've give some hamburgers for a week....now this cat jump into my baby bed and sleep :)

Personal point of view: cats are fine but dogs are better!!

Edit: Double cheeseburgers not hamburgers...

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My wife found 3 kittens one day under a backhoe in Highlands, NJ they were less than two days old.

Two seemed healthy enough that we could nurse back to health (and we did) we found great homes for them with friends. The third was very thin, covered in fleas, and unresponsive. guess what happened to him?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/DSC00009.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/mangoseabass.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/Scan1.jpg

We humans are strange. For the most part we feel this parental instinct towards many animals.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My wife found 3 kittens one day under a backhoe in Highlands, NJ they were less than two days old.

Two seemed healthy enough that we could nurse back to health (and we did) we found great homes for them with friends. The third was very thin, covered in fleas, and unresponsive. guess what happened to him?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/DSC00009.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/mangoseabass.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/draggardevir/pets/Scan1.jpg

We humans are strange. For the most part we feel this parental instinct towards many animals.

Animals are better than humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom