Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Anyone remember user "danielg"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/member-danielg.html

Apparently he's been charged with stealing p2p.com and selling it on ebay for 100k to Lakers player Mark Madsen.

----------
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...n-name-theft-080309/?california&zIndex=143182

NJ man charged with Web name theft, sale on eBay

The Associated Press
8:45 a.m. August 3, 2009

UNION, N.J. — A northern New Jersey man is charged with stealing a prime piece of Internet real estate and reselling it for more than $100,000.

Authorities say Daniel Goncalves, 25, of Union, hacked into the online account belonging to one of the owners of the P2P.com domain name. He allegedly shifted ownership to himself and resold the Web site address on eBay to professional basketball player Mark Madsen of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Goncalves faces felony charges of theft by unlawful taking or deception, identity theft, and computer theft. State police say each of the three counts carried a maximum sentence of 10 years. They expect a formal announcement with additional information Monday afternoon.

Goncalves, who did not respond to a reporter's phone calls, is free on a $60,000 bond.

Domain Summit 2024

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned? Don't steal f*cking domains a$$hole.

Typos are much less risky if you HAVE to break a "law".

:smokin:

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stealing names is one of the most stupidist things to steal its not isive you can run away with it and stash it lol i would say 99% of people get caught .

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well i think this will increase the theft even more , i know very less people who know about domain being stolen now and then, now i bet more people will look into it

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll bet this is his first offense, which would explain the bond being set at only 60K, in which he only needed to pay out $6000 to the bond company for his release.

Yeah, he got a arrested and booked, but I don't think he's going to get any jail time, just for the reason the DA wont want to go to trial on it, Can you imagine trying to school a jury on domain names? and the time it would take to prosecute the case? My guess is, it will be pleaded down to a felony conviction and probation, he'll pay restitution and perhaps have to perform community service, all in exchange for his freedom.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the real question...is he an american citizen? or an illegal alien? or just a crook?

either way ...the only reason he got caught is because he's in the U.S....shoulda stayed in mexico.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll bet this is his first offense, which would explain the bond being set at only 60K, in which he only needed to pay out $6000 to the bond company for his release.

Yeah, he got a arrested and booked, but I don't think he's going to get any jail time, just for the reason the DA wont want to go to trial on it, Can you imagine trying to school a jury on domain names? and the time it would take to prosecute the case? My guess is, it will be pleaded down to a felony conviction and probation, he'll pay restitution and perhaps have to perform community service, all in exchange for his freedom.

Unless the jury come from DNF!

Domainator

DotAgent
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Geez, he's an ugly Mutha fxxxxx... he would make nice targets...:lol::lol::lol:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are going to put him in jail..there is just too much time and money invested in the investigation. PLUS the co-victim is a celebrity. He will do 3-5 years probably.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, the only thing that might make a diff is restitution but just a guess, not sure if even that would be enough now as you mentioned.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They are going to put him in jail..there is just too much time and money invested in the investigation. PLUS the co-victim is a celebrity. He will do 3-5 years probably.

I personally witnessed court cases where the LA Sherriff's dept spent years gathering evidence on criminals, only to have the DA accept a plea deal... Just look at how much time the Las Vegas Police dept invested in OJ, which was followed by the DA offering him a plea deal, the one OJ foolishly rejected.... So much for "time and money invested"

The only way this guy is going to get 3-5 years as you say, is if it goes to trial, and it WONT... His defense Attorney will push for a plea before that happens... It cost the City too much money to take a criminal case to trial, and since this is a non-violent crime, where nobody got hurt and no weapons were used in the crime, I can very well see a plea deal coming out of this with NO jail time.

You watch.

mxdominios

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
shoulda stayed in mexico.

I don't think he's mexican, my guess is that he's either from Portugal or Brazil. Gonçalves is a portuguese surname.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's time for these internet criminals to go in jail.

I'm waiting this day for years.

talas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The news is a shock. But I am not so surprised.

Internet or Domain name industry is never a cyberspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom