Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Automatically lock old threads?

benn

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many forums auto-lock old thread to prevent timestamp-challenged new visitors from bumping ancient threads. Particularly in the transactional forums anything older than 30-60 days since the last activity probably shouldn't come back to page 1...

Upvote 0

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not such a good idea IMO. I get that someone not paying attention to date stamps may do a search and end up posting on a 3-yr old thread, but I'd rather have that than not having the chance to reply on a relevant thread just because it was started over 60 days or even 6 months ago. Even 6 months as the cut-off to close a thread may be too short a period. The alternative is starting a new thread referring to the older one that got closed for its relevance, but it doesn't have the same effect as seeing the other posts on the thread you are atm. Like you suggested, your idea may be more suitable for buying and selling (transaction) threads, but when it comes to discussion threads some subjects just don't get old, and comments may be just as relevant now as they were then, plus good advice from 2005 still works in 2015 :)

benn

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't have strong opinions on the discussion threads; I slightly prefer quoting to tacking on the end of an old thread, but both work.

However the transactional ones really have no reason to stay open. Even on the off chance that an old listing or request is still viable, PMing the author is what you want to do anyway.

Especially something like "WTB: Made-up-word brandable .com, budget $$$$". Everyone knows how to use a registrar at some point has tried to find that one buyer who wants their made-up, pronounceable, brandable, aged, slightly shitty domain, not yet realizing that it's probably them.

Ah - I just described a very compelling reason to keep that thread open didn't I. Endless supply of new domainers :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators