• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed BayPay.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex101

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
It could be a domain for a new payment service or something. Please appraise!
 
to the right buyer posibble xx,xxx
under normal curcumstances tho low x,xxx which still is'nt that bad
 
A fortune if the obvious candidate ever wants it.
 
nice brandable domain name. I'll say you're in the 3 - 5 figure area because of what it would be used for. The figures all depends on who wants it
 
Thanks guys! I guess I should turn down the $100 offer I got from some guy wanting the domain to "help environemental non-profit organizations in the bay area" and hold on to the domain for a while then :)
 
Am I the only one that sees a potential trademark violation?

eBAYPAYpal?
 
Sarcle said:
Am I the only one that sees a potential trademark violation?

eBAYPAYpal?

BayPay in itself isn't a TM violation -- with a certain use it could be but the term itself is generic enough to stand on its own
 
Sarcle said:
Am I the only one that sees a potential trademark violation?

eBAYPAYpal?


It's not...
 
rocketfly said:
BayPay in itself isn't a TM violation -- with a certain use it could be but the term itself is generic enough to stand on its own

That is correct, as long as you don't use it for e-tailing or an online payment service you should be in the clear. Of course, it may not have as much appeal as as an Adult or Poker site name.

Any end user would be wary of litigation, so I reckon it worth no more than $1,000.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
 
That is correct, as long as you don't use it for e-tailing or an online payment service you should be in the clear.

So you mean you can't name any new online payment service with "pay" in it just because of PayPal?
 
dex101 said:
So you mean you can't name any new online payment service with "pay" in it just because of PayPal?

It all down to whether a court decides you are infringing trademark. I would suggest that the splitting and recombination of two trademarks so closely associated with Ebay would be regarded as a deliberate infringement. Of course you always have the option of arguing the toss with Ebays lawyers in court. The problem is that whilst you are being bled dry, they are merely getting fat on the fees!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
 
dex101 said:
So you mean you can't name any new online payment service with "pay" in it just because of PayPal?

Certainly not, and I don't think anyone implied that. The issue is the similarity with eBay and Paypal -- there is no TM infringement here, but most people would probably associate the name with those sites as it were.
 
rocketfly said:
Certainly not, and I don't think anyone implied that. The issue is the similarity with eBay and Paypal -- there is no TM infringement here, but most people would probably associate the name with those sites as it were.

Domain registration per say is not a TM infringement, but it depends on how you use the domain. I would strongly suggest that in applications for which this domain has obvious uses it would be considered an infringement. When you register a TM there are about 40 different categories, unless someone takes out an International Registration in all categories, which of course is not cheap and would take some verifying, the name can have legitimate usage. The problem is are any of these legitimate uses going to generate much income?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
 
dwrixon said:
It all down to whether a court decides you are infringing trademark. I would suggest that the splitting and recombination of two trademarks so closely associated with Ebay would be regarded as a deliberate infringement. Of course you always have the option of arguing the toss with Ebays lawyers in court. The problem is that whilst you are being bled dry, they are merely getting fat on the fees!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
I see your point, they may sue just because they can.

BTW, this domain was registered before eBay acquired PayPal.
 
dex101 said:
I see your point, they may sue just because they can.

BTW, this domain was registered before eBay acquired PayPal.

Yes, and although you may have owned this domain before the merger, you may have problems demonstrating usage in various territories before the merger. In the States a Trademark can be registered by different companies doing the same activity in different states. Could you provide audited accounts showing income from your activities in various states and countries that relate to the domain in question prior to the merger?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom