Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Best registrar

Favorite Registrar?

• Network Solutions/VeriSign

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • eNom

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • DomainDirections.com

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Dotster.com

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Register.com

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • GoDaddy.com

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • DirectNIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hosting3.com

Nice post and info, Thewitt!

Is it still 70k per year for 1 connection or something, for a ICANN accredited provider, plus hundreds of dollars in security deposit for verisign?

thx

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with OpenSRS. They're not the absolute cheapest, but their price is good, and so is their support. Having them based in Toronto is a plus for me, as I live in Toronto.

Of the other registrars, I'd say eNom and Dotster would be my next best choices. eNom's PDQ reseller interface is impressive.

H

hosting3.com

yes, they just launched it for public (well, it was available before too..)... (enom pdq)

jalapeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dotster has the advantage of no startup cost for reselling domains. Not the cheapest registration cost, but the most painless program to get into if you expect to initially do a low volume of registrations.

Originally posted by hosting3.com
Is it still 70k per year for 1 connection or something, for a ICANN accredited provider, plus hundreds of dollars in security deposit for verisign?
The individual registries all have their own rules and deposit/payment requirements. Verisign requires you to have on deposit with them, a security deposit equal to the number of domains you will purchase in a month. They will stop selling you domains if you sell more than this deposit amount within the month - though you can increase it during the month.

Basic ICANN accreditation requires at a minumum the following:

$2,500 non-refundable application fee. They can turn you down and keep this...

$4,000/year accrediation fee for the first TLD, and $500/year for each additional TLD.

$70,000 in working capital. This requires an independantly verified financial statement, and must either be in working capital or a line of credit.

Maintain a commercial liability policy of $500,000.

In addition to these fees to begin playing, there is a quarterly accreditation fee which varies depending on how many domains you have registered. The most successful you are, the higher this fee. This is one of the reasons that some of the "domain grabbers" who do not offer public registration services immediately transfer their domains to another registrar.

You must also run a publically accessable whois server - on both port 43 and port 80.

This does not count the costs of running an actual registration business - should you open up registration to the public.

If you just registered CNO, the accrediation fees would be about $6k a year depending on volume, and if you sold these domains maintaining a profit of $5 (post cost profit) you would have to sell 1200 domains just to pay the accreditation fees. If you look at the State of the Domain Report and the total number of domains each registrar holds - and the net change in a month - you'll see a number of registrars who are losing money JUST on paying their accreditation fees, not counting the costs of running their business...

Our business plan for becoming fully accredited requires significantly higher registrations than this, maintaining a reasonable profit margin.

As another example, eNom had a 97k registration growth month last month. If they sold all these through resellers averaging a $2 margin, their gross profit would have been under $200k. Their variable costs from ICANN would have taken a chunk of this. They have to pay employee salaries, costs to run their services, etc with the balance. This does not support a large staff - which tells me they are still running off venture capital... Pure speculation of course...

-t

H

hosting3.com

Very informative post, thewitt.

Well, it looks like the domain name registration is not a gold mine, unless you sell a domain over/near 10$ per domainyear (com.net.org and other cheapies, not those expensive ones) . I have heard that Verisign gets about $6 per domain name year from a registrar as well (and of course the accredited reg fees you wrote above)...

Now, no wonder why large companies prefer to resell rather than just go for ICANN accreditation and pay those hefty fees...

It's better to maintain a good contract with a good domain name reseller, for let's say, $7 per domain name year and there you go (means, that the accredited ICANN registrar makes almost no profit at all, because of ICANN fees, Verisign fees, support/sales salaries, bandwidth, servers, office etc)

Yes you are correct. I did not add that the registry (Verisign) gets $6 a domain for CNO domains. The fees at most ccTLDs are much higher, with a few exceptions of course.

-t

Who did try this registrar: cheapestregistry.com. It seems it's cheap but I do not how about the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom