Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

other Bido Countdown?

This is a discussion about another domain name register/company not listed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfishion

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about starting a pool to guess how much longer Bido will last until it goes under again?

Over two weeks ago, I won an auction for what I considered to be one of their few decent .com domains, but the seller apparently doesn't want to let it go for the selling price, and it appears to only be a matter of time before the auction is canceled. I wonder who else has had the same experience.

By the way, it is interesting to note that of all the sales listed at Bido (since the 10th of November), there have only been 9 sales for $100 or more, and the highest was only $751. There appears to be less than 100 sales in total.

If Bido doesn't already shut down again with the end of 2010, I pick 01 April 2011 as the next closing date.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
was stupid to bring it back in the first place - its a dead investment

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

simplicity is what makes you huge - their site is so flooded with things that your average seller or buyer will get lost in reading the instructions!

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
was stupid to bring it back in the first place - its a dead investment

I totally agree with this statement, how many times it is coming to come back and go???? I never pay a visit to such a site which is so hard to browse, i start getting headaches when i go over their site. lol

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi BigFishion, we can only speculate why that seller has become unresponsive. There may still be hope with it, we are still working on it for you.

We auction a small amount of domains per day and our ratio of what sells is quite good.
We are working on a number of changes to continue to make Bido better for all. Including additional staff and changes to the site.
Thanks for your support.

Regards,
Jarred

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was excited when they came back, but quickly lost interest again. At the old starting bid, I could find some bargains, but now I am better off in other venues and there is just too much junk to wade through for too little return at Bido. I'm afraid I quit even looking.

I'll take September 5th in the pool

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give Jared a chance, he is a great guy, if anyone can make it work Jared can.

-=DCG=-

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

its not about him being a nice guy... his company is 10 years behind.... their is just no return on investment for such projects... unless he can launch a registrar like godaddy and spend millions advertising it and then creating an aftermarket auction like tdnam, then he may have a chance... the domaining community is cheap and rarely support their own!

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

Thank you Adam.

Complaining about a business -fine, but predicting when it will fail seems a little harsh.
Thank you as well.

...and thanks everyone else who support us or give us some credit for what we're building.

Concerts.net is by the way up for auction right now, current bid is $3,500.
http://www.bido.com/auction/CONCERTS.NET

Use Bido to your advantage.
If you think prices are low, buy.
If you like the prices of what is selling, and think some sellers are doing well, list your inventory for sale. Personally I see plenty of opportunity for both groups, as well as the voters who are earning for selecting what goes to auction.
It is great to be involved in such a critical community. We appreciate all the feedback.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

and btw, BigFishion, I just spoke to the seller. All is fine, this transaction is in fact going through.
Please visit the secure transfer details page @Bido and post your info for the transfer.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

Adam, you are also a great guy. The thing is it is not about being a great or not. Having business sense is way different than being great. You are great, and also have great business sense, which makes you and your sites very successful.

Where as Bido.com (jared) DO NOT know what they are doing at the moment or for the last couple of years. They are lost and confused and so are visitors or people who had interest in their site. Although they have spent quite a lot of advertising, but the business model is not successful.

On the other hand, sedo is way simpler platform, and make millions of sales. Where as Bido.com makes Millions of Promises and not deliver any one of them.

This is not throwing a insult at bido.com, I do not have anything against Jared or bido. This is just constructive criticism, which bido should follow up and not take too much time. Bido.com has been back for 3 months now, what have they done? they said they were going to change, what was changed? Nothing?

I hope they get serious and simpler on their platform and I would Love to see Bido.com succeed :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But isn't that the issue and problem with most all sales venues and forums, where at least 95% of the names listed for sale are worthless, semi-worthless, or reg fees (including dnf sale threads), so why does it matter that Bido names are often also not so great? I suspect the Bido names are no worse overall vs most forum sale threads and larger venues

I was excited when they came back, but quickly lost interest again. At the old starting bid, I could find some bargains, but now I am better off in other venues and there is just too much junk to wade through for too little return at Bido. I'm afraid I quit even looking.

I'll take September 5th in the pool

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Over two weeks ago, I won an auction for what I considered to be one of their few decent .com domains, but the seller apparently doesn't want to let it go for the selling price, and it appears to only be a matter of time before the auction is canceled. I wonder who else has had the same experience.
To get a handle on all these sellers backing out, it is going to have to come down to some legal filings to make this stick as a means of resolutions.

A few things I would do.

First, contact the registrar where the name is currently. Submit to their legal team a copy of the Bido TOS which should be a binding document for both buyer and seller. Submit to the legal proof of the auction proceedings and the auction results. Submit any communications post sale as well.

Next, if the seller is a resident of the US, contact the sheriff's office in that locale and file a complaint, most likely a breach of contract.

Then, contact you local law enforcement agency and file a police report. Again, most likely termed a breach of contract.

It is important and imperative that you be brief and factual and eliminate opinions in these filings. Your goal is to make things as easy as possible for these agencies. Yes, there is a great chance there will be no action. But there is perhaps a 100% chance of it being filed somewhere and in some manner, most likely the fraud division.

Lastly, and this can be real fun, you can file a complaint with your small claims court. Typically fees are not that much and if you win the case the other party will have to pay court costs and reimburse filing fees. It will not matter if the defendant is present or not. I would really limit this to instances where payment has been made but no product was delivered per the agreement and terms.

All of this may seem to be extreme. But, I can assure you that when properly handled this can have a real impact on the final resolution.

I have had to use one or more of these practices in the past and I have been 100% successful in every instance. One such instance involved a seller in England. Many people do not realize that these matters enter into the arena of wire fraud. And because such fraud is in the news with great frequency, agencies are pressured to act.

In the matter involving a seller in England, once I contacted the proper authorities in the UK, the matter was resolved in less than 36 hours.

Everything you need to file any or all the above steps is right there in the WHOIS. You can even make matters as difficult as you can for these people, including reporting them to the registrar for have bogus data (if it actually is bogus) in the WHOIS, which is a violation of ICANN policies.

The point is, if it is worth it to you to take these steps, then by all means proceed. There is not really much time involved if you have all the proper documentation. You want to present the facts in a concise, chronological order. That is why you want to restrict opinions. Law enforcement agencies are busy so making the task minimal effort for them is essential.

Last edited:

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Technically, any site should be plain, easy for the user (not geeks) and not filled heavy coding!!
It's just a suggestion, maybe a i feel its too loaded, but just to browse the list, it takes and shows all the info @ first time, why so much info required?
show the basics in the list page and use technology like web 2 , feed etc to show "More" information maybe on mouse over.

i do not see any problem in business model or working of it , although have not used it much, but seems good.

yes, revivals of any business gone wrong somehwere is welcome and was happy to see BIDO back.
i do not see BIDO owners in negative as they had the guts to be back again.. trust me, it is not easy, and not that easy to grow.
'coz critics start coming for the things that never were disagreed or on the thigns disputes that never were

legality will always remain the issue for small ventures unless supported / funded .

only suggestion - as mentioned in this thread, END USER EXPERIENCE -
i still believe in "Sales come from Service" more rather then "Service comes from Sales"
'coz Service build Brand in long run and Sales Increase with brand value!

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It matters because: Higher starting bid than other low end auction sites + an interface that is more difficult to navigate + smaller selection of names overall + fewer sort and metrics options = a poor use of my time (which is both valuable and limited). I was actually pleased that they came back, but quickly remembered why I didn't spend much time there and the higher starting bids just exacerbated the issues. As much as I would love to see another viable low end domain auction, I have to be honest about why I don't use it in favor of the others. Ignoring the feedback, or assuming that "the customers just don't get it" isn't going to make Bido a success.

But isn't that the issue and problem with most all sales venues and forums, where at least 95% of the names listed for sale are worthless, semi-worthless, or reg fees (including dnf sale threads), so why does it matter that Bido names are often also not so great? I suspect the Bido names are no worse overall vs most forum sale threads and larger venues

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It matters because: Higher starting bid than other low end auction sites + an interface that is more difficult to navigate + smaller selection of names overall + fewer sort and metrics options = a poor use of my time (which is both valuable and limited). I was actually pleased that they came back, but quickly remembered why I didn't spend much time there and the higher starting bids just exacerbated the issues. As much as I would love to see another viable low end domain auction, I have to be honest about why I don't use it in favor of the others. Ignoring the feedback, or assuming that "the customers just don't get it" isn't going to make Bido a success.

every site has a business model and undoubtly, bido does have the same.

as it is a very responsible business with lots more of legality involved, they it seems are focussing currently on the low priced domains and
with the growth, they will slowly or gradually be moving to the higher segment!

bigfishion

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jarred, I completely understand that when a seller backs out it isn't Bido's fault, and that you have personally tried helping to resolve this sale. One thing that did concern me, however, was the first response I received from Olga. She wrote:

"Buyer, please post your GoDaddy information (account number + email address) as soon as possible so the Seller can push this domain to you. If you would prefer to use Bido's escrow account for the transfer, please indicate your preference."

Is it possible to be more impersonal? That message was coming directly to me. She could have at least used my username instead of just copying and pasting the standard reply. In addition, this seems more like a means to promote your escrow service than to facilitate the domain transfer.

By the way, I still haven't received the domain even after providing the requested information yesterday. If I remember correctly, there were also two other domains I didn't receive under Bido's previous ownership.

The bottom line for me is that I go into every purchase with the thought that the seller will back out for one reason or the other, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. There are too many other domains I can buy to waste any time or energy on the occasional couple that don't close.

Last edited:

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jarred, I completely understand that when a seller backs out it isn't Bido's fault, and that you have personally tried helping to resolve this sale. One thing that did concern me, however, was the first response I received from Olga. She wrote:

"Buyer, please post your GoDaddy information (account number + email address) as soon as possible so the Seller can push this domain to you. If you would prefer to use Bido's escrow account for the transfer, please indicate your preference."

Is it possible to be more impersonal? That message was coming directly to me. She could have at least used my username instead of just copying and pasting the standard reply. In addition, this seems more like a means to promote your escrow service than to facilitate the domain transfer.

By the way, I still haven't received the domain even after providing the requested information yesterday.

i don't see any copy paste in this. Just imagine SEDO sending personalized messages to all the users for the transactions!

There is definitely a template (approved by business / management) to be sent to the users,
where the registrar name, required details (id & email) are dynamic and auto picked from the system by email tool.

yes, it's a nice suggestion to have the userid along with name to be part of this email template.
feel good factor! ;)

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

By the way, I still haven't received the domain even after providing the requested information yesterday. If I remember correctly, there were also two other domains I didn't receive under Bido's previous ownership.

The bottom line for me is that I go into every purchase with the thought that the seller will back out for one reason or the other, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. There are too many other domains I can buy to waste any time or energy on the occasional couple that don't close.

Something like that... I remember clearly. There was one that you won and the seller didn't transfer. You were refunded and the seller was banned.

There were also two that you won around the same time and you refused to pay for them.
We gave you the benefit of the doubt and kept your account active and looks like we are being bitten in return. Lets not air any more dirty laundry, shall we? Good day sir.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something like that... I remember clearly. There was one that you won and the seller didn't transfer. You were refunded and the seller was banned.

There were also two that you won around the same time and you refused to pay for them.
We gave you the benefit of the doubt and kept your account active and looks like we are being bitten in return. Lets not air any more dirty laundry, shall we? Good day sir.

great! but will you be working on the user interface as suggested by so many ? it kills the browser, i do not visit BIDO , but i prefer visiting others!
please dont put so much dynamic and data fetching ... it is killing the main purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators