Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

other Bido Countdown?

This is a discussion about another domain name register/company not listed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfishion

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jared,

OK. You brought it up so let's air some dirty laundry.

I initally refused to pay, because Bido had lost all legitimacy based upon my personal experiences. I thought "Why should I deliver a couple great domains for a steal when others there weren't?" Bido clearly had a problem that needed to be resolved. We talked. I ultimately agreed to sell the domains, and we also agreed to cancel all my other auctions (which had not yet closed). I have not listed anything through Bido since that time well over a year ago.

If anyone has a problem here, it is you and Bido. I am the one being bitten by Bido's inability to deliver on auctions you represent.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But isn't that the issue and problem with most all sales venues and forums, where at least 95% of the names listed for sale are worthless, semi-worthless, or reg fees (including dnf sale threads), so why does it matter that Bido names are often also not so great? I suspect the Bido names are no worse overall vs most forum sale threads and larger venues
It's true, but spending money on a platform to actually promote bad names is not a promising business model.
The margins don't look high given the modest sales involved. On top of that Bido has to handle buyers and sellers which means additional overhead.

I just had a look at Bido, with the exception of concerts.net nothing special.
Now I'm not looking for low-priced domains, I'm looking for quality domains that are priced right. Most of the inventory at Bido is typically regfee domains.
In fact I can find better domains unregistered so why bother :eek:k:

I'm no even saying there is a solution, imho the domain market is a tiny industry with no room for too many players. Sedo have volume and they have been around early. Buydomains are selling their own inventory so the margins are high. When you are starting out you don't have that kind of advantage.

As to the original question: three strikes you're out ?

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Why should I deliver a couple great domains for a steal when others there weren't?".[/B]

?? Now that is wrong , No ..
here I will say after reading your post, it's BIDO which took your personal request and persuaded.

let's stop here.. )

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are too many places selling domains; and too few good domains out there for sale, in any given day.
To me the domain industry would be better served to have fewer venues. Its basic economics; supply and demand.
90% of domains are worthless yet all the venues get filled? This makes no sense.

Secondly, Bido is nice software so they ought to branch out; maybe sell antiques?

Thirdly, I no longer check Bido daily as the domains are not that good. I think a lot of us are thinking that.
So maybe Bido should be once a week, like a Friday.

Next, why dont the principles put some of their own, really good domains out there at a low reserve? If the platform is actually good,
then take that risk! And actually, if there is one awesome domain there, it will draw people over.

I personally am happy to do all my auctions at Sedo. I like how they do it. I dont see any need for Bido in its current design.

Kevin

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
90% of domains are worthless yet all the venues get filled? This makes no sense.
business opportunity?

Secondly, Bido is nice software so they ought to branch out; maybe sell antiques?
too harsh

I personally am happy to do all my auctions at Sedo. I like how they do it. I dont see any need for Bido in its current design.
So, where you sell your low priced domains or fast to sell domains?

See there is a problem, lets suggest rather then be onto it!

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ecomindia,

I dont see how it is an 'business opportunity' as you say then a market is saturated. Kind of the opposite.

Re: Antiques, that is a very high value market with more profit per piece. How is my comment harsh? its a recommendation, not a criticism; and its a praise of the software, which is not bad software. The site looks good and seems to run well. I just dont see it working for domains.

Low-priced domains can be sold on a forum. Or just let go. Its a lot of wheel spinning, really; you dont get anywhere dealing with those domains.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never used Bido when it was up last time but this time they actually went out of their way to pay me via a payment method that they didn't offer since there was some issues with me being paid. So I support them and hope things work out for them this time.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont see how it is an 'business opportunity' as you say then a market is saturated. Kind of the opposite.
request to please let me know where in the thread, or any other thread I mentioned it.. . need to check the context i must have referred !

Re: Antiques, that is a very high value market with more profit per piece. How is my comment harsh? its a recommendation, not a criticism; and its a praise of the software, which is not bad software. The site looks good and seems to run well. I just dont see it working for domains
i respect your opinion, but i know how much i felt when my own developed website was criticised by few. Software is a tool to support your line of business. Softare itself is no business. You asking BIDO to change their business ... ?

Low-priced domains can be sold on a forum. Or just let go. Its a lot of wheel spinning, really; you dont get anywhere dealing with those domains.
That is a challenge for BIDO... where the other Big platofmr hesitate, they are bringing it to a platofrm , to regularize..

still long way to go for BIDO, but lets support them..
PS:I am not a registered cyber lawyer (will be next year ;) ) , neither i am a pro-bido .

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@ecomindia, Thanks for all your posts and lively discussions. Yes, we will be working on the interface some more. There is an entire new technical team now than previously, aside from myself. The programmers are working on quite a few things. When we get caught up with those we can move onto all the other ideas, suggestions, and enhancements that we want to implement. Onwards and upwards.

@2gajgops, We aren't ignoring feedback, far from it. We are racing against the clock to do many things that we need to do. Bido was left in a state that needed a lot of things in order to proceed and we have been working on many of them. There is a lot "under the hood", its not your average plug and play script that we are dealing with here. We'll make the site more intuitive and work better across more browsers, please just give us time. And the quality is rising, we for example sold concerts.net today. We made changes to facilitate higher quality domains, and we will continue to. So hopefully Bido continues to become more attractive to you in the future, and if not, I hope you continue to provide us feedback in the upcoming months and years. Your success is our success and we want to facilitate that.

@SIKHboy, we made hundreds of changes since being back. Literally hundreds of commits to our codebase. Not sure what supposed promises were not delivered to you but if you would like to PM me more info I would be glad to discuss. Our sales ratio is quite high, for years Bido has had a better sell through rate than any other auction venue that exists in the domain channel, and Bido probably still holds this crown. Chances for an auction ending with a sale on Bido are greater than any other auction, statistically speaking. Just bring high quality inventory with a realistic price and we will give you a greater probability for a sale than elsewhere. The platform does this by design, and we still continue to make it better.

@ksinclair, thanks Kevin. We've thought about expanding into other categories, the sky is the limit, our auction method and voting system would work in other categories. For now our focus is the domain industry. About us listing our own domains, I actually have put many domains on Bido myself to initially kick start the system and so did the other former principals of Bido do the same. Currently I am not selling hardly any of my domains but in the future I'll sell some more. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and kind words.

@katherine three strikes and who is out? BigFishion?

Jared,

OK. You brought it up so let's air some dirty laundry.

I initally refused to pay, because Bido had lost all legitimacy based upon my personal experiences. I thought "Why should I deliver a couple great domains for a steal when others there weren't?" Bido clearly had a problem that needed to be resolved. We talked. I ultimately agreed to sell the domains, and we also agreed to cancel all my other auctions (which had not yet closed). I have not listed anything through Bido since that time well over a year ago.

If anyone has a problem here, it is you and Bido. I am the one being bitten by Bido's inability to deliver on auctions you represent.

You've crossed the streams here. In one sentence you started to comment as to why you refused to pay for two auctions that you won, and perhaps explain your history being a non-paying bidder on Bido. Then in the very next sentence you go on to talk about auctions where you were the seller and you scratched the auctions, by deciding to not finish the auctions of them and let them run their course. Not sure how the two topics belong in the same breath as they are opposite ends of the spectrum. You've definately illuminated an additional issue we had with you following through with your actions, that's for sure. In addition to the issue as a buyer. It has been one thing after another and I hate to say but you contribute to the very problem you complain of. I'll leave it to the arbitrary readers to come to their own conclusions as to this whole situation. Not sure why you select a public forum to rehash this, but this is turning into an unprofessional discussion and I would like to bow out at this point. I hate this. As a final note - in regards to the domain you won that prompted you to start this thread - I just spoke to the seller again and it will be pushed to you either tonight or tomorrow. Good evening.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Comparing to other non-domain business models, resurfacing is harder than the first time.

Take Blockbuster for example, they are making a go of it even in the shadow of Netflix.

It wont be easy, but even Bill Gates invested in Apple to help keep them afloat after they nearly tanked around Y2K.

And look at Apple now.

Not saying it wont work, not saying it will, but the winds of change blow harshly sometimes, and sometimes change direction unexpectedly.

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see Bido and Sedo as being in the same business at all.

Sedo is where I sell high quality domains to end-users, at strong prices; but only a very small percentage of the inventory sells each year. (even if pricing via Sedo's automated suggestion tool, inventory doesn't move fast). Sedo does a good job earning their $ by bringing those business buyers to me.

Bido, on the other hand, is mostly a domainer-to-domainer venue; but with far better liquidity than I get from posting listings on domaining forums like here. At the old Bido, I sold 29 domains at prices I found satisfactory, the highest being $300. One buyer out of 30 did not pay; and I was actually happy about that one, since I thought that auction had ended too low ($31).

The old Bido was also a great place to buy domains. I bought 58 domains there, many of which were great bargains that I've since sold for more; including one that I got on Bido for $70 that sold on Sedo for $1,200 less than three weeks later.

And all during that time, I found Jarred and company to be really great people, so I am happy to see him back in action, and I wish the best for the new Bido.

Assuming that Bido owns all its code (nobody else has exclusive rights to use it in other niches), I second the opinion that says they could auction other things. Ebay has become a terrible place for people to sell off their own white elephants. The fees there are now so high that Ebay only makes sense for high-volume sellers of high-margin new stuff (think China). It's becoming a retail outlet. There's an opportunity for somebody to redo the original eBay concept of an on-line swap meet. The "Bido" name doesn't particularly connote domains, and the vote-to-auction software would work great for big-ticket items in other niches.

=================

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give Jared a chance, he is a great guy, if anyone can make it work Jared can.

-=DCG=-

How you work that one out when he failed as an owner of this site originally and now the new guys have employed him to take it down again,they must have more money than sense,sorry if he is a pal of yours but its the truth !

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
godaddy's tdnam , snapnames, pool, etc all have one thing in common they sell expired, dropped domain names and broker domains, bido just brokers crap... how its going to survive against the rest is my question?! their is nothing on bido that will sell the idea, you can download a php script and run your own auction house... the idea is great but the system is awful - you need expired domains in your list to survive! i wish them all the best but the fact is that its going to fail and only cost more money

bigfishion

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update, it is now two days and another telephone call from Jared to the seller later, but the domain auction that started this thread still hasn't been transferred to my account.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello bigfishion, the seller pushed it last night.
Did you follow the steps to accept it?
Here is some more info that might help you:

1. Go to the GoDaddy.com, Inc. home page and log in to your account with your username or account number and password.
2. In the My Account section, click "Pending Account Changes."
3. Click on "Incoming Account Changes."
4. Check the domains that you agree to change and then click "Quick Accept."
5. Accept the agreements and click "OK."

Regards.

J

JudgeMind

I like the bido marketplace, withe exception of the voting process. I think that the voting process would be better suited to a marketplace that already has a solid user base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators