Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed bomb.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vspeeris

Hi,

We had acquired the domain bomb.com recently for a venture.

We would like know your opinion on the value of the domain.

Best Regards,
Vincent.

Domain summit 2024

Do a search on this forum, we talked about this domain at length whilst the previous owner was looking to sell it.

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Was not there an auction on this EBay?
I think it has limited commercial appeal. Not very brandable.
Around $2000-$4000

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its a good catchy .com, but in light of the recent terror attacts, i would keep low for a while.
otherwise its a very strong domain with huge potential

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by vspeeris Hi,We had acquired the domain bomb.com recently for a venture. We would like know your opinion on the value of the domain. Best Regards, Vincent.

Why is it still under the old owners name in Whois?

Would you mind sharing with us how much you paid for the name?

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They just spent money without thinking on the value, just their need.

Lessons learnt:

1) The publicity helped the seller.
2) The domain appraisals are worthless.
3) If you are down and out(in this case the seller) you will be squeezed by the buyer.

just my 21/2 cents :D

It’s a nice, short, one word name which seems to get a bit of traffic. However the name itself has little commercial relevance in my opinion and at the moment would be seen negatively by many. The name got to about $3100 before the ebay auction was pulled (with a couple of days to go), and I'd say its worth maybe $5000 myself.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I must say I disagree with the current valuations here. Bomb.com is worth about $7,000 - $25,000 within the domain reseller market (which is among the people you see here). Ebay bids are irrelevant to the value of a domain.

It is in my opinion worth $75,000 - $200,000 for a company that needs easy branding and has products/services where Bomb.com could easily fit. I think it is a fabulous domain and is very brandable! I'm interested in what kind of venture will be there.

Larry Wentz
www.AffiliateNetwork.org

Ebay prices accurately reflect the reseller market in my opinion, and its seems the majority of resellers now use it as opposed to other auction sites. Also the first auction (of two) had an initial bid and reserve set at $15,000, no bids were made despite the auction being extremely well publicised in the press (even offering to donate the reminder to a charity for a sale over 25k). The seller later relisted with a $3000 reserve.

Hi,

FWIW, for "snoopy" and "maadmaax" the auction was not "extremely well publicised". The Register article was the only news site of note that linked the story, and they are hardly high profile. That link generated about 8000 hits to the page over a three day period.

This whole process has all been very frustrating because throughout the first auction I know that I had several interested buyers who were waiting "for someone else to bid first", and I would have closed out that auction early to any of a number of offers I had received if I hadn't been bound with the donation agreement to the charity which called for me to allow the auction to run till close.

Additionally, I received quite a few e-mails in the week following the early close of the second auction by people who expressed upset and dismay that I had closed the auction and prevented them from bidding. Go figure! :(

As for Larry's comments, I have to agree with him. All of the research I did led me to a very similar conclusion of value. There are a significant number of people out there who could do very well with this domain for their business. I just didn't have the time or resources to track them down in a timely manner.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess what we all want to know is how much did it sell for? :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Odd it still has not changed hands - Perhaps there is a complication causing a delay.

Registrant:
Game Zero Magazine (BOMB-DOM)
Phoenix, AZ 85017 US

Domain Name: BOMB.COM
Record expires on 22-Sep-2002.
Record created on 21-Sep-1994.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very good domain. It's worth a lot to the right business--fashion modelling agency/website, an entertainment magazine/website, a concept dining chain, etc. It's da bomb.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another development idea: There are many sites already for reviewing/buying/selling movies and books about movies, but how about a site just for those movies with small or cult followings but unsuccessful at the box office. Many of these videotapes or books might be out-of-print or rare, and not always available on ebay. This avoids the terrorist/war connection and could be done right away :)

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bcRIP
Hi,

FWIW, for "snoopy" and "maadmaax" the auction was not "extremely well publicised". The Register article was the only news site of note that linked the story, and they are hardly high profile. That link generated about 8000 hits to the page over a three day period.

/B]

:confused:

Not highly publised? I'm sorry but if your story gets on Register.co.uk. I think it is high publicity, not everday a domain reseller gets his story about selling a domain in the news wire.

Originally posted by MaadMaax
:confused:

Not highly publised? I'm sorry but if your story gets on Register.co.uk. I think it is high publicity, not everday a domain reseller gets his story about selling a domain in the news wire.

Technically I can only account for under 4000 direct referals from the Register story, but traffic spiked for three days starting from when the story ran, so I went ahead and gave them credit for the traffic. Traffic litterally dropped back to baseline after that three days.
This was the only significant news coverage. Three other non U.S. news sites mentioned the story in blurbs that netted no more than a hundred hits or so. And don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't take much to get coverage by the Register. I was the one who openly submitted the news item to them for review, I didn't trick them or anything... I'm grateful that they made the link but it didn't really publicise the sale very well. My hope was that a larger news feed would see their coverage and pick up the feed.

Not to take away from the Register, but the fact is, it is a niche pub that caters specifically to people in the tech field, and many other tech sites get far greater traffic. If I had received news coverage from a standard news outlet like the BBC, CNN, or even something like a Slashdot site, then I would say that this would have been highly publisized. 8k hits is nothing for traffic. A Slashdot link, or a link from even a high profile online comic like PennyArcade that has a more diverse reader base can result in 50K+ hits in a single day, ...even more if bandwidth doesn't get throttled by the traffic spike.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
But, my message context was about getting publicity, which you said bomb.com did not get.

I was comparing a normal domain name resllers here who normally would not get coverage like bomb.com did in the news media.

It was a hint to the domain resellers on this board that, getting media attention is also a means of selling your domain.
:D

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I put the name clintonpardons.com up for sale on ebay. Thought I could get a little media attention with that so I emailed a press release to a number of internet news outlets (I don't think Register was one though-- nuts, wish I had known). None of them did anything with it. I got maybe thirty or forty hits to the page-- the usual low-profile number-- and no bids. Emailing press releases is like burning up your time-- or maybe my name was already too passe by then. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom