Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.ca reseller programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK you Canadians - please answer a couple questions.

I have never really paid much attention to the .CA names - and there sure are a lot of good 3 letter combos left. Is the extension not very popular up there in Canada? How long has it been live? Do you guys/gals re-sell many .CA names?

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its very popular up here, in fact studies have shown that .ca sites get significantly more traffic.

I own two three letter .cas :) lnx.ca & opn.ca.... opn.ca for historical reasons (a project I was involved in but I figure the name is not bad), and lnx.ca because it can be linux without the vowels, links, lynx, ...)

Perhaps now that eNom does .ca I'll do a few more

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NamePopper.com, another thing to keep in mind which may be one of the things which has prevented .ca from being squatted too much (aside from the fact that only canadians can reg in it) is that there is a fee charged by the registry (and thus ALL registrars) to do an ownership transfer.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey DD - thanks a lot for the info.

Will you make me your legal guardian now - so I can grab 2 names that I really want? :D

So you don't think we can 'push' those back and forth at eNom?

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a problem doing 'push'es back and forth at eNom, its just changing contact details (ownership anyway) and the associated CIRA account (all .ca owners must have an account at CIRA) that will be an issue.

As for the domains you want I don't mind registering them for you and giving you control of them / pushing them into your account... there would be a certain amount of trust you would have to have however! :)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ddent
NamePopper.com, another thing to keep in mind which may be one of the things which has prevented .ca from being squatted too much (aside from the fact that only canadians can reg in it) is that there is a fee charged by the registry (and thus ALL registrars) to do an ownership transfer.
CIRA (the dot-ca registry) only charges TECHNICALLY for ownership transfer; in practice, that $15 is being absorbed by a "pull" registration of the new registrant.

And since there is "a fee payable by a Registrar on the transfer of a Domain Name Registration to a new Registrant"*, I don't know if you can still "push" back and forth like that with CNO.

* Source: http://www.cira.ca/official-doc/fee-schedule.txt

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I've got a list in progress - of a bunch of 2 (two) character .CA names that are available. Now I just have to figure out what to do with them - and how to get a couple of them for myself. Heh! :)

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I tried to grab RV.CA via a pre-booking but the previous owner finally renewed it, darn, it would have been a nice one :)

Mike

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ummm, you can't register new 2 letter .ca domains... existing ones are the result of grandfathering.

As for eNom pushes I think they are still possible but have yet to try for myself. Account push != ownership transfer in all cases...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ummm, you can't register new 2 letter .ca domains... existing ones are the result of grandfathering.

As for eNom pushes I think they are still possible but have yet to try for myself. Account push != ownership transfer in all cases...
Are you sure, ddent? More than a dozen of 2-letter dot-ca have just been registered last Thursday (March 20), and they are newly approved ones, not renewals.

And what is the use of pushing into another eNom account WITHOUT registrant change?

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just missed a big boat. Thats what happens when you go away for a week :(.

On the 20th CIRA changed its policy and made the 2 letter domains available again (and it was in fact just ISO country codes that were reserved).

Mini gold rush, though not the hammering that takes place for CNO. We have a civilized system known as TBR.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Speaking of TBR, I don't see anything on eNom's site about how to register TBR names...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just missed a big boat. Thats what happens when you go away for a week :(.

On the 20th CIRA changed its policy and made the 2 letter domains available again (and it was in fact just ISO country codes that were reserved).
That announcement was actaully made a month ahead on February 18. ;) You might want to sign up for their mailing list for more up-to-date news release, or you may simply check out their website on a daily basis like I do. :cool:

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well my Canadian friends - I decided not to venture into the .CA domains - so here is the list of 2 & 3 character names that I had compiled while searching. I hope they help someone. (also posted in the expired/available thread).

Also - thanks to Nameslave & DDent for their valuable input. :)

P1.ca
L1.ca
A8.ca
1C.ca
1D.ca
1W.ca
I6.ca
G8.ca
-------
tob.ca
fuk.ca
huk.ca
dno.ca
dum.ca
gon.ca
--------
600.ca
700.ca
35.ca
37.ca
43.ca
46.ca
48.ca
53.ca
58.ca
61.ca
62.ca
63.ca
71.ca
72.ca
76.ca
79.ca
81.ca
82.ca
83.ca
84.ca
87.ca
91.ca
92.ca
93.ca
94.ca

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave, thanks for the tip, I meant to signup for the list ages ago, but this has motivated me to do it :).

Namepopper, hope I was of help, and thanks for the list.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You guys are tempting me on this .ca thingy. :embarrass

But I will hold as I don't think .ca is GPS on the emerging Internet Map. Focus...Focus...Focus...

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
You guys are tempting me on this .ca thingy.
Exactly mole.

When I found all those 2 character domains - I was tempted too. Then I decided enough is enough. I have to draw the line somewhere - and stick to what I know - and what has already been successful for me.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
When I found all those 2 character domains - I was tempted too. Then I decided enough is enough. I have to draw the line somewhere - and stick to what I know - and what has already been successful for me.

Yeah pop, once you decide to fringe into cctlds, you could wind up with 244 of those suckers with no end in sight.

Pick your pivot points carefully. And conserve your resources for the future gTLD fights to come.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I look forward to .eu :)

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just pre-booked another .ca , not as nice as rv.ca but still worth the $30 Canadian.

I will find out next week if I was successful and share the name with DNF.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom