Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NO !. It never ceases to amaze me as to how a registrar cannot even catch their own domains when they have a back order for them. Maybe they make more money by allowing Snapnames to have them ?.

DG

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they never catch anything of value, won't refund your backorder money, and if it goes to tdnam you'll pay an inflated price due to fabricated/exaggerated traffic figures and they won't refund you for that when the 2000-3000 vistors they claim, is actually none at all. Be warned!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the name is in pending-delete all registrars have equal chances of catching the name.

From my experience gd is ok for .us names and for catching domains released by the tasters. Snapnames is your best bet for .com.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From my experience gd is ok for .us names and for catching domains released by the tasters. Snapnames is your best bet for .com.

.us names?? who the heck backordering them

they probably have agreement with snapnames and shares the profit :uhoh:

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NO !. It never ceases to amaze me as to how a registrar cannot even catch their own domains when they have a back order for them. Maybe they make more money by allowing Snapnames to have them ?.

DG

What's to be amazed about?
Since it's the registry, not the registrar, who drops the name, it doesn't matter where it was registered before the drop.
GD doesn't seem to prioritize drop catching, and probably don't put as much resources into it as pure drop catchers do.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i dono really get it~ when my domains from godaddy was deleting - they went straight to tdnam, even if i still could restore them

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i dono really get it~ when my domains from godaddy was deleting - they went straight to tdnam, even if i still could restore them
Nah... your name was just expired but not DELETED (pending-delete).
If in doubt check the whois.

The whole scheme seems unclear to many people.
It works like this:

When a name expires the registrar will usually renew it provisionally with the registry for 1 year. In the meantime they will change the name servers or disable the domain.
You can tell by checking the whois, for example registrar data says the name has expired 02/2008 but registry data indicates 02/2009.
Technically it means they have renewed it with Verisign but they can get a refund within 45 days. During that time frame they will either:
- send the name to auctions and transfer ownership to the auction winner, if no-one bids on the name they drop it
- drop the name if you don't react, the name then goes to redemption, pending delete, it drops - at this point it can be caught by snap/pool/gd etc or a taster. The registrars gets the renewal fee back from Verisign.

When a name has been deleted the creation date in whois is reset.
On the other hand an expired domain that has been auctioned is known as prerelease name and keeps its vintage. So you can get old domains through snap or tdnam.

Hope this clarifies. Everybody needs to understand the difference between expired, deleted and prerelease.
Maybe we should make this a sticky ;)

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not true!

Some registrars like Enom do not drop their "Own" domains that have been backordered
through their systems. Enom has "Pre-Bidding" on domains that will be dropped. This keeps
any other drop system from getting those domains

I don't trust Enom anymore as the new owner of Enom (Demand Media) is one of the
largest domainers today. Gee.... do you really think he gave up his lucrative domaining
now that he has a huge system like NameJet to grab domains for himself?

rajs1ngh

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent thred

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Godaddy can be trusted to fairly catch valuable names for backorder customers. Only a few months ago a Godaddy employee (VP) was outed for bidding at TDNAM auction. That means a Godaddy employee was bidding for valuable names against regular customers (spyware.us was obtained in that fashion). After the fact, Godaddy announced a "new policy" prohibiting employees from participating at TDNAM auctions, other crap, and backorders. But now there may be no reason for the drop catching department (if there is a "drop catching" department) to catch names. I mean, why bother catching names if the "new policy" prohibits you from keeping the good ones?

I've always said that Godaddy is a great registrar, but they really cut their customers with spyware.us scandal. What an insult. I can say that, because I'm a customer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators