Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Can I get a few appraisals please?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a few that I would like to get some opinions on. Kinda new at this.

SubmitPay.com
SubmitPayonline.com

RealtyOfficial.com
RealtyOfficials.com

CulinaryNow.com
CulinaryNow.net

Thanks a lot guys,

Scott

Domain summit 2024
M

Mythios

IMO, those would be hard to sell. SubmitPayonline.com is taken care of by SubmitPay.com, so the longer is redundant and not useful. RealtyOfficials.com works best as the plural, not the singular.

CulinaryNow.com doesn't work. I'm not a fan of "now" additions. To me, if someone wanted "culinary NOW!", they would just type in "culinary". If you plan on developing that domain, it might be different, but I still didn't find any kind of combination of those two words on any search. Btw, if you get a .com, don't worry about getting the .net--you already would have the top extension, so it would be defeating the purpose. Best of luck.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These words are trademarked for use by realtors, so you could loos the names unless you are a realtor.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE These words are trademarked for use by realtors, so you could lose the names unless you are a Realtor.

Wrong, Realty is 100% generic and is NOT trademarked by the Realtors Assn. It's an extremely common word and used as a part of zillions of real estate firm names and other common uses, including usage by non-realtors.

However, you are right in that 'Realtor' is a Trademark of many years. However, I understand the TM is now being contested in Court on the grounds it has become somewhat of a generic term over the yrs. Not sure what the outcome will be.

To check U.S. Trademarks you may use this easy-to-remember non-govt web-site which has a quick link to their very difficult url.

http://www.PatentAndTrademarkOffice.com/

The reason i registered RealtyOfficials.com and Realty Official.com was to preserve the domain, the same for CulinaryNow.com and
CulinaryNow.net. These would be sold together.
Also Culinary serves a large field, not only the obvious "school or training" but it's definition is anything to do with the kitchen or cooking. So I can see sites that handled mainly kitchen appliances or even cookware developing this name.
SubmitPay.com was an iffy one to me from the beginning, but also my first one. But maybe it could fit into a field that had to do with collections or taking some form of internet payments.
I agree with the previous reply "Realty" is generic, "Realtor" is not.
But, like I said, I am a newbie... there are plenty of things I don't know.
Does anyone see any value in these names?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Basically, at the point at which you have to say "Well, maybe a domain could be developed as..." it's got virtually no value!

Pragmatically, the domain name has to stand on its own i.e. be self-explanatory and/or generic to have value.

The problem is that there is still the misconception floating around that "brandable" domains i.e. domains that with an expenditure of time and $$$ can be turned into a brand are valuable.

The snag is that at the point that a company has decided to make the commitment to expending that time and money to brand a domain, they are then free to choose ANY domain... and there are an almost infinite number of "brandable" domains still available!

Contrast this with a generic domain. If you owned "surfboards.com" then it's immediately clear what the domain can be used for, it's appealing to companies in the surfboard industry and it is genuinely unique - therefore justifying a decent valuation.

The other problem with brandable domains is that generally companies are either prepared to pay for a domain in the secondary market, or they're not. If they're not, the fact that a domain is being offered cheap won't help, since they're not even looking.

If they ARE prepared to pay for a domain, most companies will be willing to shell out a little more $ to get a good descriptive/generic domain since if they're going to have to put in a major branding effort they're going to apply their $ to the branding campaign rather than the domain.

All of the above is generalized and there are exceptions, but it's like winning the lottery - sure, somebody has to win, but it's almost never going to be YOU!

In the case of your domains, I can't see anyone offering you anything for them because they're not worth anything more than still-available names i.e. you haven't added any value by registering them.

Some real pearls of wisdom in the above post by genki. If you want to make money, read it a few times and let it sink in.

First of all, I'm not talking about making a million dollars with the few domains I have posted. Don't insult my intelligence.
Second of all, "brandable" names make up the majority of what's out there. If you think that I think any of those domains are the next "Business.com" you're wrong.
Take some of the bull#@&% names on Afternic.com being bid on as we speak:

SportPal.com, current bid price $775.00
LoversHoliday.com, currently $785.00
VirusWar.com, currently $155.00
DocumentationManager.com .... <------ WHAT? currently $520.00

And these are just a few. You can't sit there and tell me that these aren't "brandable" names. What is so unique about them?
I mean what's the difference between SportPal & SportNut? The possibilities are endless for some of these.

The really idiotic things are that the same people selling these absolutely stupid names have reserves on them!, of like thousands of dollars. But the point is, people are placing bids of the above amounts on them. I,m sorry but it doesn't take a mathematician to know that $775.00 for a domain that may have costed $35.00 tops, is a pretty good return.

So to end I want to say that I respect your opinion and thank you,
but there are more names out there besides the Business.com's and the Manners.com's and the SurfBoards.com's that are profitable even if they aren't meant to pull in thousands of dollars.

I agree with a lot of what is posted on this forum, but a suggestion:

Lighten up. I have been shot down as a newbie just for asking questions. And you don't keep people on forums with "!" at the end of each sentence.

Another suggestion: post some of your domain names, so we can learn something from your "brilliance".

later

Afternic bids and afternic sales are very very different things, but brandable/not obviously good domains can sell for good money - but this is an appraisals thread and you'll get comments based on "likely" rather than "lucky".

Don't take appraisals personally.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by haven008
Another suggestion: post some of your domain names, so we can learn something from your "brilliance".

Never claimed to be brilliant - you're putting words in my mouth.

Here are a few of my names:-

Active-Server-Pages.com
ApricotBrandy.com
AthleticTape.com
BowlerHats.com
Broadswords.com
BritishComedy.com
BuyingDomains.com
Carvery.com
Chinese-New-Year.com
CigaretteCard.com
ClassifiedAdvertisement.com
Claustrophobia.com
EmailAccount(s).com
EmailAddresses.com
HardwareRAID.com
IMAPMail.com
InternetCourse.com
JobQualifications.com
Home-Page.com
Lacquer.net
LeasingDomains.com
MovieProjector(s).com
MyAccommodation.com
NonSmoking.com
Noticeboards.com
Periodic-Table.com
PerpetualCalendars.com
POP3Email.com
Revisit.com
SearchEngines.net
SellingDomains.com
Scimitars.com
SilverHalide.com
SiteNotFound.com
SoftwareRAID.com
SpellingMistake(s).com
SupersonicFlight.com
TrickQuestion.com
WebCelebrity/ies.com
WirelessAccessPoint.com

flex

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Genki

Never claimed to be brilliant - you're putting words in my mouth.

Here are a few of my names:-

Active-Server-Pages.com
ApricotBrandy.com
AthleticTape.com
BowlerHats.com
Broadswords.com
BritishComedy.com
BuyingDomains.com
Carvery.com
Chinese-New-Year.com
CigaretteCard.com
ClassifiedAdvertisement.com
Claustrophobia.com
EmailAccount(s).com
EmailAddresses.com
HardwareRAID.com
IMAPMail.com
InternetCourse.com
JobQualifications.com
Home-Page.com
Lacquer.net
LeasingDomains.com
MovieProjector(s).com
MyAccommodation.com
NonSmoking.com
Noticeboards.com
Periodic-Table.com
PerpetualCalendars.com
POP3Email.com
Revisit.com
SearchEngines.net
SellingDomains.com
Scimitars.com
SilverHalide.com
SiteNotFound.com
SoftwareRAID.com
SpellingMistake(s).com
SupersonicFlight.com
TrickQuestion.com
WebCelebrity/ies.com
WirelessAccessPoint.com

hey. not bad.
lots of nice names u've got. :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A good list of real word names Genki. There are so many interesting ones it's difficult to pick the best domains.

Do you know if they get type-ins and if so which ones are best for type-ins? I don't mean lots of type-in's as even low numbers of real type-ins are valuable.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Genki I was wondering what happened to claustrophobia. It was looking to me a few months ago like it was going to drop but it never seemed to do anything. I have the kinky claustrophilia.com, a fun name, but phobia's much better. Can't afford to buy or I'd make you an offer to complete the set :)

Thanks for posting some of your domains. You put your money where your mouth is. I respect that.

You do have some really great names, but also some are no better than mine, of which some could have been your first attempts at domain name speculation as mine are for me.

But, you did give me an idea of what to look at... thanks.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth, it just came across that way. It's hard to interpret tone with words on a screen.

What is a good way to go about coming up with some "generic as possible" names besides just brainstorming?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
> Do you know if they get type-ins and if so which ones are best for type-ins? I don't mean lots of type-in's as even low numbers of real type-ins are valuable.

A lot of them get at least a few typeins. BritishComedy.com does quite well. None of them get standout numbers of typeins except EmailAccount.com and EmailAddresses.com which are active sites and therefore these are "artificial typeins" i.e. people who've visited the site, memorized the URL and are typing it in again.

> Genki I was wondering what happened to claustrophobia. It was looking to me a few months ago like it was going to drop but it never seemed to do anything

I bought it off the previous owner.

> What is a good way to go about coming up with some "generic as possible" names besides just brainstorming?

Actually, that is exactly how I do it. I make very long lists of generic words just by thinking of themes and then I put all the lists together and run them through a generic domain search tool to see what's available.

I also have certain themes that particularly interest me, such as email, and I watch the expiring domains that would fit the theme and put Snaps on those that I want to get, and bid on them at NameWinner too.

Originally posted by Genki

The problem is that there is still the misconception floating around that "brandable" domains i.e. domains that with an expenditure of time and $$$ can be turned into a brand are valuable.

The snag is that at the point that a company has decided to make the commitment to expending that time and money to brand a domain, they are then free to choose ANY domain... and there are an almost infinite number of "brandable" domains still available!

Very good point. Big waste of money registering brandable/creative type names for resale in my opinion also.

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
a generic word can not be trademarked. A generic word in combination with another incorporated mark (i.e. componay logo or name) can be trademarked. And, it is also possible to trademark a combination of generic terms create a company name or logo.

Though it does seem generic words are allowed as trademarks where the class applied for is different to the ordinary usage of the term - eg the following terms words are trademarked in specific categories (according to USPTO) - "cars", "sex", "football". I'd assume almost every popular term is trademarked in at least one category - they are just the first few I tried.

No wonder many people missed out on those new domains to t/m claims (fake and real :D ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators