Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed CD-Burners.com - Does the hyphen suck ?..

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
..or is it an advantage plus?

In my point of view it's a plus,not only because i own it :),but because in this case the searchterm on SE's is "cd burners" rather than "cdburners";as there are 131000 searches on overture for that term the hyphenated version exactly matches this searchterm as the SE's handle a hyphen like a space.We all know the domainname isn't the only thing that counts,but if it matches exactly the searchterms that helps.
On the other hand i heard people saying hyphen is a minus in ANY case;sure it's a minus when it comes to the radio-test;but i think it's not all about the radio.

What's your opinion on hyphens in general and in particular?

Thanx

Frank

NuBrand.com

Domain summit 2024

You already know my opinion on this Frank.

Domains play a small part in search engine optimisation - they become important when you are competing in a cutthroat industry where every other seo trick is being matched.

But se optimisation aside, hyphens kill value. They make domains hard to communicate verbally and they are not a natural choice for on-spec typeins.

People pay high prices for vanity and user friendliness. Think about the number of high value sales you've seen with hyphens vs non hyphened.

Also, the 131,000 searches on overture is an aggregate of "cd burner","cd burners", "cd-burner" and "cd-burners". Its not a count of the number of times the exact character string "cd-burners" has been searched. The positions are obtained by paying for position, and have nothing to do with the domain name itself on overture.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not true.
First,regarding the value it depends what you/your potential buyer needs it for.If it's for a site that makes its money basically on online-sales,then i think the hyphen version is great if the search term includes a hyphen or space too.
Now,for the results on overture:
1)Overture searches are just a indication on how often this term is searched for on other SE's as well;so how overture does the ranking is not the point;point is that a figure like this shows you that it's a well-sought term in general.
2)If the inventory results include other spellings of the name as well that doesnt matter - because your name will pop up for all these other spellings as well on the user search results page.

Frank
http://NuBrand.com

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ms.Wanda May,

we need your input on that! :D

You seem to be dwelling too much on search engine optimisation when the se's are being used less and less and ppc is starting to eat into the budgets of those that were traditionally using seo.

Also, think about what you are saying in point 2.

You are saying that your domain would show pop up for all the terms - doesn't that imply that variations of the domain will also pop up? You can't have it both ways - either having the exact term helps or it doesn't.

Like I said, how many high value sales have you seen with a hyphen?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well,
most high value sales are the ones we don't hear about.Fact.
And then - you think 131000 searches is a sign for SE's being used less and less? Hell, that's way enough searches for me :)

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hyphen or not, the name is still worth a couple thousand dollars.

Originally posted by beatz
Not true.
First,regarding the value it depends what you/your potential buyer needs it for.If it's for a site that makes its money basically on online-sales,then i think the hyphen version is great if the search term includes a hyphen or space too.
Now,for the results on overture:
1)Overture searches are just a indication on how often this term is searched for on other SE's as well;so how overture does the ranking is not the point;point is that a figure like this shows you that it's a well-sought term in general.
2)If the inventory results include other spellings of the name as well that doesnt matter - because your name will pop up for all these other spellings as well on the user search results page.

Frank
http://NuBrand.com

the name is good.

it should surely sell.

cd burners / common generic words

it's a good name... build something on it.
generate some traffic.

the buyer ain't gonna be doing Radio Ad's anyway's

most net sites.. involving this type of industry, use only
online promotional methods.. ie: search engines..

if the buyer has the talent.. or can hire the talent.. to humanly
get the site listed well.. then, it's a slam dunk.

* have you visited the www.cdburners.com website?

who owns that?

direct market this name to them..

they'de be fools not to buy it..
all they would have to do is redirect the name.

?? why would they want to take the chance of a competitor
buying this name.

it's a good name.

Originally posted by MC Juice
Hyphen or not, the name is still worth a couple thousand dollars.

his name is good...

hyphen choked or not.

and regardless of the PPC engines..

Google still rules..
and that's the one that counts.

SEO still is a major impact on internet sites & their rank positioning.

$2K
and don't take any wooden nickels.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
I say it's a great name (great keywords, just one fallback in my opinion the dash), but 2k, isn't that a bit high?? I bet you can make an easy sale though, good luck.

That was his original question Dan, whether the dash lowered its value.

I'd take it from your post that you think it does?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanx again for yall input.
Well the owner of cdburners.com doesnt seem to have put too much effort in developing his site - just a basic amazon-affiliate thing.But i'm gonna contact them nevertheless;thanx Ms.Wanda for the tip.:)

What other keywords would one use, to search for your product.. the site?

Does cdBurner.com hold decent search engine listings?

Have you checked their source code on their home page.. take a look at the meta tags... you can learn a lot about a competitor in regards to the tags used for meta's.. that is.. if they are listed well.. it's worth a glance.

even if they are not listed well,, peek anyways.. cause you can learn what NOT to use for meta tags.

Do a 'link popularity' check on their site.. see how many other 'legitimate' sites link to this site..

Good Link Popularity, is an excellent way to enhance search engine listings..

GoodLuck.

I'd say cdburners.com has many times the value of cd-burners.com, the hyphen makes a huge difference. Its easy to talk about s/e engine potential but its the type-in which is the only sure thing and which seems to dictate value these days.

The hyphen is definately saleable though but I doubt that it will get $2k. Also as I see it the singlur version is far better than the plural,

If I had to guesstimate I'd say the following,

cdburner.com - $20,000
cdburners.com - $3,000
cd-burner.com - $300
cd-burners.com - ??

These are value that I think the names would get right now, at auction, of course give it time and you may do better via private sale to a corporate type.

Then of course there are some of unknown factors that may put buyers off, for instance how long will be be before dvd replaces cd's completely, won't we just be buying dvd burners in a couple of years?

what does everyone else think,

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Snoopy:
Well the typein value is only most important to traders and resellers "these days" as SE's are still the No1 search method.And as i repeatedly said,i don't auction off my names at all.If you really want to make money with selling domains,sell to the enduser.No exception.And to value it below $300 is a joke really - but hey,your opinion and that's ok.
Btw,how many domains have you sold so far yourself and in which price range?

Vanity is the main motivator for end user sales - not search engine placements or type ins in my experience.

Originally posted by beatz
Snoopy:
Well the typein value is only most important to traders and resellers "these days" as SE's are still the No1 search method.And as i repeatedly said,i don't auction off my names at all.If you really want to make money with selling domains,sell to the enduser.No exception.And to value it below $300 is a joke really - but hey,your opinion and that's ok.
Btw,how many domains have you sold so far yourself and in which price range?

Beatz,

As I told you in chat I don't sell names, and in the past I've only ever sold 7-8 names mostly around the $400-900 price range.

You have said a few times that your not keen to sell in a hurry, not keen to auction, yet your advertising your names in a resellers forum and asking for offers?

Resellers aren't going to give you the pie in the sky prices that you seem to expect.

Though I can understand that you think your name is worth more than I'm suggesting, very few people under-value their own names after all :)

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure most people over-value their names and sure most traders try to get good names for almost free ;all i know is which names for what money i have sold already plus i am a very realistic person when it comes to domain-prices.The fact that i'm offering the names in here doesn't mean the emphasis is on auctions and reseller forums for me.It isn't; just something additional i do.And for sure i don't expect high prices in a place like that.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators