Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

developed CertificateSwap.com for Sale - Featured on Time Magazine, USA Today, NY Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuvera

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CertificateSwap.com is for sale on eBay!

CertificateSwap.com is the internet's first and only exclusive gift certificate marketplace. With over 700 merchants and restaurants in our database and thousands of users nationwide - you'll find our site quite impressive. In fact, we've been featured in over 200 media outlets including Time Magazine, USA Today, The New York Times, The Today Show, and hundreds others - come see for yourself and bid at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3819926655

[email protected]

kuvera

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
highest bid $17K, 8+ days left

kuvera

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
43k = highest bid; 1 day 5hrs to go.

FMS

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the site really for sale or a marketing oppurtunity?

(foot in mouth...reserve is met)

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sorry dude, I would never bid on an Ebay private auction, no matter how bad I wanted the site.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NetProwler said:
sorry dude, I would never bid on a private auction, no matter how bad I wanted the site.

Funny that we all bid on private auctions every day over at Pool. ;)

Of course, there we have much less choice in the matter... and we all complain, but we do it anyway.

...just struck me as odd when I thought about it.. hah :cheeky:

Cheers,

Wesley

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to loan me the money to buy this one for a share of the proceeds? IM or PM me if interested.

DrewM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What proceeds? the site doesn't make hardly any money.

Although its got amazing press & maybe a lot of potential

DrewM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jeanco said:
How do you figure? It makes anywhere from $2000 - $15000 per month

That's its transaction revenue - multiply by 0.075 to get their revenue. (7.5% commission on transactions)

Based on the great press the site has - $50K is a good price for that site. It might do well in the end, although I'm a bit dubious that the business model has really much merit. The market is certainly big enough for it to make a lot of money.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice sale, nice site.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A great price for the seller. Good to see it sell for so much money but now that the sale is over, I must say the $86,100 price said to be paid for certificateswap.com site is simply incredible in view of the poor net income from sales and the non-too valuable domain name too. From what I recall the far better domain Certificate.com only sold for a couple thousand $ not too long ago. It makes me think some of my sites (which generate good income) must be worth even more!

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it really depends on the industry. A good domain name means very little to those that have money to spend on advertising.

I have also seen a few sales within the last 6 months that sold for 5 years of the annual revenue.

The only problem with this site is that it is 6 months old, it lacks historical numbers that could show the stability of the market and the business.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine how poor the income (and traffic) would have been without all that amazing FREE marketing the website received? Also, instead of extensive free media the new owner will likely have to pay lots of hard cash for that exposure in the future as the marketing novelty wears off.

This shows the great value of free marketing and the website owner was a genuis in getting all that attention. They probably spent much of their time working on the media exposure.

P.S. It would be a good idea to save that story and eBay sale and later use the concept and great promotional stuff yourself to market your own low income new website for big money one day as they did. Hopefully, others may use similar concepts to their advantage in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators