Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

- City Portal Script -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MyrtleBeach.com website earns about $2 million a year. Enough Motivation?

Here are a few stories: Story of owner of NewYork.com
Here is another story of a multi million dollar business built of geo names/city portals: http://dnjournal.com/cover/2008/july.htm

Then you have companies that are pretty much founded, funded and ran becuase fo Geo Sites: http://www.associatedcities.com/ or this site http://www.geodomainer.com/

So as you can see the money is out there and available, granted it is not the window that was there 8 years ago BUT with the costs of development down, the internet connected people up and the sense of local commitment the chance is there for people to take advantage of geo sites, GOOD ONES. You may never have the multi million dollar grossing NewYork.com but would you be happy with say 5 local sites earning $80,000 each per year? thats a nice $400,000/year a lifechanger for anyone spending time on this forum.

It is a per site fee, I believe there is a multi site discount but I dont have an affiliation with PHpCityPortal so check with them. Also I know the $149 prices comes with a year of updates...

Compared to eDirectory.com pricing: $299 initial setup plus about $150/month for license fees, portal option and unbranded version... which works out to over $2000 for the first year... add another $600 for any customization...

Thanks for the info, its very interesting. I would like to see this for mobile sites as well.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just found this info.

PHPCityPortal could allow a remote attacker to include arbitrary files. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted URL request to the external.php script using the url parameter to specify a malicious file from a remote system, which could allow the attacker to execute arbitrary code on the vulnerable Web server.

Article here http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/56812

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know if you purchase a hostgator.com account THROUGH them you get $50 off.

Also, if anybody is hestiting becuase of the price then in my opinion don't do it. If someone can't jump in and commit $150 to their site then the odds of them committing hours for advertisement, customizing, outreach and walking businesses for sales isnt that good.

I have just bought a copy of the script for a .mobi geo, i'm building it out at the moment, its a very nice script.

JamesDavid

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a copy of the script for a .mobi geo, i'm building it out at the moment, its a very nice script.
Good, PM me if you get a chance with the address. I would love to see the results.
Just found this info.

PHPCityPortal could allow a remote attacker to include arbitrary files. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted URL request to the external.php script using the url parameter to specify a malicious file from a remote system, which could allow the attacker to execute arbitrary code on the vulnerable Web server.

Article here http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/56812

I just emailed and talk to the owner/developer of PHpCityportal. He said that the post is in regards to a very old issue they had with the previous version and has been corrected.. On that note if you bought the script a while ago make sure you contact them for the update. Also I purchased the script when the original owner was running things and since the script was purchased by a new set of partners and service/support has been flawless since there takeover.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aside the $149 for phpcityportal.com script, do I have to maintain renewal or software update a yearly maintenance, and what cost?

Thank you,
Em

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MyrtleBeach.com website earns about $2 million a year. Enough Motivation?

There's a huge difference between MyrtleBeach.com and KankakeeCounty.com. SanDiego.com earns less than nothing so I'd also question the validity of your about $2 million a year statement for MyrtleBeach.com.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Did they close the security hole? I've also been considering this script.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good, PM me if you get a chance with the address. I would love to see the results.

I just emailed and talk to the owner/developer of PHpCityportal. He said that the post is in regards to a very old issue they had with the previous version and has been corrected.. On that note if you bought the script a while ago make sure you contact them for the update. Also I purchased the script when the original owner was running things and since the script was purchased by a new set of partners and service/support has been flawless since there takeover.

Thanks for the update. i'll PM you my site.

I'm looking to use another of my names but have not decided which one to use, anyone got any suggestions as to which one i should use?

Last edited:

JamesDavid

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between MyrtleBeach.com and KankakeeCounty.com. SanDiego.com earns less than nothing so I'd also question the validity of your about $2 million a year statement for MyrtleBeach.com.

As far as the MyrtleBeach number, that is from a DNJournal Article http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2008/july.htm

Also if you are saying SanDiego.com earns less than nothing than I would have to question who runs the site and their business approach..

All I know is that the potential is out there and some people get up and run after it and others sit their throwing negative comments out every chance they get...

Fearless, would you care to share some of your developed GEOs? I am always looking for successful GEO sites to compare and to see where I can improve.

EDIT--------------

Fearless I just did some research and found SanDiego.com earns about $700,000 annually in ad sales and search revenues. I PERSONALLY wouldn't call that less than nothing, how that $700,000 was spent I don't know and could have been spent foolishly.
"an independent assessment done by local media experts Borrell Associates estimated the value of SanDiego.com to be as as high as $8 million, given the appeal of the San Diego market. SanDiego.com is already a well developed site that Burgess indicated was doing around $700,000 annually in ad sales and search revenues. "

FULL SANDIEGO.com STORY

Did they close the security hole? I've also been considering this script.

Yes the security hole was patched quite some time ago.

Aside the $149 for phpcityportal.com script, do I have to maintain renewal or software update a yearly maintenance, and what cost?

Thank you,
Em

There is no REQUIRED maintenance. With the $149 purchase you get the software and 1 year of updates, then after the year you can renew the updates for another year at $149/year. Although unlike other places like edirectory it is not required. If you end up happy with the product after a year just dont renew maintenance, the site is still yours.

Last edited:

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All that really matters is net. I could spend 5 million to make 1 million anytime someone is willing to give me 5 million.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

All I know is that the potential is out there and some people get up and run after it and others sit their throwing negative comments out every chance they get...

Fearless, would you care to share some of your developed GEOs? I am always looking for successful GEO sites to compare and to see where I can improve.

I don't have any developed GEOs to share. I posted because I wanted to hear success stories of people using a portal script.
I'm realist. I call it as I see it. Just like I warned noobs about buying worthless mobis. You should be happy with what I said. I said your site looks like the only site in this thread using phpcityportal.com that has made enough money to pay for the software.

JamesDavid

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
try www.cityguidesite.com fairly easy to setup and reasonable cost

Domainsource, have you tried this service? It seems that it doesn't allow for much customization so I would love an insiders opinion. Also it looks very "old" as far as design but I do see some good tools there.

For me to have rights for the towns in my county it would cost $315/month which is $3780.00/year. That seems WAY to high... IMHO.

Thank You for sharing though and I would love if you could shed some more light on the software and its features if you have used it.

Domainsource

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the software is easy to use, i have a site at www.berwickpa.net, the object of the system it to hire some local sales reps pay them commission of any advertiser/ business upgrades within your site. you can also create custom content pages and or link to external programs , even add your google adwords code if you want . there is a 14 day trial if you want.. to test the waters before paying for your city site. yes in my opinion the sites are kind of old looking. should be upgraded to web 2.0

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

MyrtleBeach.com utilizes fairly extensive TV advertising in our area of Virginia at times. They aren't just sitting on a great domain name waiting for people to drop by although even that would make some money. They promote the devil out of it and then, voila, the good news is that its real easy to remember. As I recall, it isn't that great a site but they promote, promote, and then likely promote some more plus I believe that it is a heavily paid link entwined site.

Last edited:

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Totally out of site in price. Sorry but good luck

philiporchard

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own one of the largest set of Geo-domains in the UK.
The software was developed specificall for geo-domains, as we couldn;t find what we wanted.
http://www.geowaremedia.co.uk/

Lots of work still to do still, especially with URL-re-writes, SEO issues etc, but the core fundamentals are there.

Example site: www.Cardiff.co.uk

Zorro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The $5,000 setup fee is a bit steep for what you get.

-=DCG=-

Adam, please connect with us to know more about what is included in the solution, and the roadmap for the future. Geodomains (particularly "pure" geos) are valuable assets and we can help with maximizing profits. If you own a pure geo, the cost of LocalEngine will be just a fraction of your overall costs (of running the business) and it will help you generate revenues and traffic fairly quickly.

I'd be happy to demonstrate what LocalEngine can do to a pure geo, and if your not happy with the results at the end of six months... we are willing to refund 100% of your setup fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators