• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed clap(.com) My first great name!

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you make sure the name was not stolen?

That email response from the former owner looks like he is just a bit 'too' eager to sell at mid xxxx.
 
I always thought clap meant to applaud. Strikes me as a video on demand site. I think it's rare to find such a short memorable domain with no apparent trademark issues in the US. Just a handful of clap trademarks appear and they're for nothing special. If it were mine, I would invest in a TM perhaps under internet advertising and video on demand. Minimum 30k. See the last Targeted Traffic sales for 4 letter dictionary word sales. I think blow .com was 50k.
 
$10-15K reseller


also curious what you paid for it
 
Did you make sure the name was not stolen?

That email response from the former owner looks like he is just a bit 'too' eager to sell at mid xxxx.

I did make sure that the name was not stolen. I took every possible precaution, as I too was surprised that I was able to buy it for mid xxxx. The name is not stolen, and has only had one owner since 1996!

It just goes to show that if you dig deep, you can find a good deal out there, even if you are new at this.

As far as tm goes, I am just not sure why it would be worthwhile to register a tm. I don't see anyone with any ability to try and take it away, since it is such a generic word.
 
I did make sure that the name was not stolen. I took every possible precaution, as I too was surprised that I was able to buy it for mid xxxx. The name is not stolen, and has only had one owner since 1996!

It just goes to show that if you dig deep, you can find a good deal out there, even if you are new at this.

As far as tm goes, I am just not sure why it would be worthwhile to register a tm. I don't see anyone with any ability to try and take it away, since it is such a generic word.
That's good to hear. Not trying to be skeptical, just have seen too many names that were stolen be resold to an unsuspecting domainer.

You definitely hit the jackpot on this one. :approve:
 
I did make sure that the name was not stolen. I took every possible precaution, as I too was surprised that I was able to buy it for mid xxxx. The name is not stolen, and has only had one owner since 1996!

It just goes to show that if you dig deep, you can find a good deal out there, even if you are new at this.

As far as tm goes, I am just not sure why it would be worthwhile to register a tm. I don't see anyone with any ability to try and take it away, since it is such a generic word.

2 interesting points to discuss there:

1) how do you find if a domain is stolen and what happens when you buy a stolen name
2) if you think a name is "toooo generic" then be afraid. Some generics have been taken away too. A good example has been lately INC.mobi.
 
View whois history via domain tools. It' snot a free service though.
2 interesting points to discuss there:

1) how do you find if a domain is stolen and what happens when you buy a stolen name
 
since it is such a generic word.

Just because it's generic, doesn't mean you can do what you like with it.

Just reading through an existing trademark for 'clap'; It appears that in the US you can't sell prerecorded video tapes, video cassettes, digital video discs (DVDs), compact discs (CDs) and other electronic media, namely magnetic tapes and digital electronic media featuring entertainment programs in the nature of a dramatic television series.

Anyway congratulations. Great name. A bargain!
 
5-10K resell IMO
 
OK. Was the 16K a reseller or someone who wanted to develop? (ie-end user).

I qualified "reseller". If you know it was a reseller then good for you.
I certainly wouldn't pay $16k with intentions to resell and I do a lot of it.
 
OK. Was the 16K a reseller or someone who wanted to develop? (ie-end user).

I qualified "reseller". If you know it was a reseller then good for you.
I certainly wouldn't pay $16k with intentions to resell and I do a lot of it.

They did not elaborate on their plans, as I replied that it is not yet for sale.

Thanks for the appraisal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom