Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Company dot net - appraisal request

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I only typed in the domain name Gold.Net redirects to a real company...
Thanks for proving my point in regards to approaching every sale as if it was a sale to the end user.

In regards to your assertion, oh it's a wholesale price and the retail price must be higher, do go back and re-read the full text again.

If you don't like my word assertion, feel free to substitute assumption or any other word that flips your switch.

This thread is not about bathrooms.net, it is not about gold.net. It is about company.net. Why people want to keep bringing up what this name and that name brought is nothing more than historical data, data that the end user would never really give a flying f' about.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
is nothing more than historical data, data that the end user would never really give a flying f' about.

That's a good one but I don't know who would buy it.

If I am selling a house, and the buyer points out that that house over there sold for $50,000 less 2 months ago and that other house sold for $40,000 less 4 months ago, I will just tell them it's "historical data they should not give a flying f'about."

I guess your reasoning is that they should not care about other house prices since they are buying my house not those other houses, which they can't buy since they already sold, or my house is unique, better, and they have no other options?

If they know the price of comparable houses, they do care about it. Even if they have money to spare, most people don't like overpaying for anything.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I may be slighly biased but I believe the value of .net has been eroding a little bit over the years. After all it's always been the next TLD after .com. Nowadays the second choice is often the ccTLD (when you're not in the US).

Yet .net fits very well for the purpose of online incorporations. With a name like that it's easy to pretend you've been established since the early days of the WWW. Which is the case since this is a 1995 reg.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice domain..... I'd like to know how long the OP has had the name, what offers he received so far and the frequency of those offers. It would be helpful... I think any figure in the 100K range is a unrealistic price for a dot net to a end user, that's not to say it will never sell for that, I'm sure if you hold onto to it for 5, 10 or 20 years you just might get that price. But if your goal is to sell the name in a relatively short period of time, I think your target price should be in the low 30K range... Just my 2 cents.

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The amount of time (months/years) I have had the domain is completely irrelevant to the subject of this thread. Why would this be important in the eyes of an interested end buyer?
In fact, why would any figure in the 100K range be an unrealistic price for a dotNet domain name to an end user, if that is what the end user feels the domain is worth for this/her business? Maybe the .COM version is worth +7 figures and he/she prefers to offer around 10%-15% of that NET worth for a .NET alternative.
For your information, there have been several unreported low to mid 6 figure DotNet sales in 2010 & 2011, and each week there are DotNet premium domain holders that receive 6 figure offers for their names.
COMPANY is one of the most popular terms in business today period. The term alone clearly portrays a high-end industry.
Isn't that the keyword that .CO were primarily using to brand their extension? I would actually take Company (dot) net over Business (dot) co any day. The latter sold for $80K if I'm not mistaken.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I may be slighly biased but I believe the value of .net has been eroding a little bit over the years. After all it's always been the next TLD after .com. Nowadays the second choice is often the ccTLD (when you're not in the US).

Yet .net fits very well for the purpose of online incorporations. With a name like that it's easy to pretend you've been established since the early days of the WWW. Which is the case since this is a 1995 reg.

I thought that use for .net is continually growing every year? The fierce .net drop auctions I'm watching tells me that their value has never been higher. Even 3 years ago they seemed cheaper to me. I could be wrong.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The amount of time (months/years) I have had the domain is completely irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

that is funny.

If you owned Company.net for a while, you would have a better handle of its value considering you are a 'pro'.
(traffic, inquiries, offers, etc)

Since, you only owned it for a couple days, it would be more difficult to determine full market value.

The true value would be created by developing it and selling it to major firm.
With work, it should sell for low 7 figures.

As a domain, $ 125k is in the flip range.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The latter sold for $80K if I'm not mistaken.
That's a hell of a lot of money to pay for a domain and simply park it on Sedo.

It will take quite some time to see a ROI - especially as a parked page. Even as a full site, the .co is not going to dominate the market.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Agree (with the ballpark). Like I said, the dilemma lies in that, in order to sell it for say a million dollars, one has to spend at least some high 5 figures (if not low 6 figures) AND A LOT of time. Many speculators/investors simply don't have that drive to work.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The amount of time (months/years) I have had the domain is completely irrelevant to the subject of this thread. Why would this be important in the eyes of an interested end buyer?
In fact, why would any figure in the 100K range be an unrealistic price for a dotNet domain name to an end user, if that is what the end user feels the domain is worth for this/her business? Maybe the .COM version is worth +7 figures and he/she prefers to offer around 10%-15% of that NET worth for a .NET alternative.
For your information, there have been several unreported low to mid 6 figure DotNet sales in 2010 & 2011, and each week there are DotNet premium domain holders that receive 6 figure offers for their names.
COMPANY is one of the most popular terms in business today period. The term alone clearly portrays a high-end industry.
Isn't that the keyword that .CO were primarily using to brand their extension? I would actually take Company (dot) net over Business (dot) co any day. The latter sold for $80K if I'm not mistaken.

Either you completely missed the point of the questions I asked or you don't want to answer them because of the result, Either way, you obviously made up your mind of what this name is worth and therefore it's a waste of my time discussing it with you any further.

All I'm going to say is your going to have a hell of a time getting anywhere near 100K from a end user, Dot com different story. I think you'll have better luck auctioning it off at TRAFFIC and selling it to a reseller who thinks just like you do.

Good luck with it.

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your analysis. That is the range I am aiming for in the short to medium term.

Auction

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could see the domain selling for $10-15,000 at auction as a trophy domain only. It seems like it would be valuable, but is it really?

Company = business incorporation, llc formation? Doesn't quite fit in my mind.

I think it's a case of being to generic.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there have been several unreported low to mid 6 figure DotNet sales in 2010 & 2011, and each week there are DotNet premium domain holders that receive 6 figure offers for their names.

Don't believe everything you read online especially if it's "unreported" or the "rich" five or six figure buyer puts a parking page on it.

It's easy to lie online ("We just bought Business.com for $7.5M," was a big lie) or stage shill bids at auctions.

Popularity alone does not give value.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

It seems like it would be valuable, but is it really?

I agree that at first glance it looks valuable which is why I think there is interest in this thread, but at second glance, it's an almost great name or close to a great name, but close does not count.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could see the domain selling for $10-15,000 at auction as a trophy domain only. It seems like it would be valuable, but is it really?

I think it's a case of being to generic.

spot on, unless he finds an end user with a multi million dollar business model I don't see it as a hundred thousand dollar domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom