Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Company dot net - appraisal request

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
eeedc, as I demonstrated above with the +1 button all privacy is gone. Adding a "dot net" instead of the exact suffix does not matter.

Privacy is not 100% all or nothing, just as no domain name is "indespensable" or someone would already be using it.

It's a matter of how easy it is to find something on Google, and how much people need a name. I would suggest respecting the orignal posters wishes even if you think it does not matter much or at all.

For example, if someone posts a picture of you on a nude beach from the 80s when you were young and wild, your friends will likely never see it unless someone puts your exact name on the picture. Some jerk may come along and put your name on the nude picture, but he is a jerk in my book.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think you need to focus on justifying your low evaluation of the domain, versus obsessing over bizarre references to privacy.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These were the TOP dot net Sales in 2011 above 25K. Average prices are lower and unsold dot nets are common.
From: http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm Draw you own conclusions.

2. Cars.net $170,000 UpMarketDNs 6/22/11

4. Gold.net £50,000 = $81,500 Sedo 3/23/11

7. Spain.net $40,000 UpMarketDNs 7/27/11
tie Camera.net $35,000 Moniker/SnapNames 2/23/11

10. Blogs.net $34,500 UpMarketDNs 8/11/11

11. Teeth.net €21,000 = $30,240 Sedo 6/2/11

tie Rome.net $30,000 Sedo 8/17/11
tie England.net $30,000 UpmarketURLs 1/26/11
15. Guitars.net $26,000 MediaOptions 4/27/11

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Past performance does not necessarily predict future results.

In other words, don't think like a domainer. Company.net has plenty of potential end user buyers.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Past performance does not necessarily predict future results.

"Past performance does not necessarily predict future results" is usually a disclaimer saying THINGS COULD BE WORSE than the rosey sales pitch.

It is more likely that one will not end up in the top 10 then one will end up in the top ten. It is just as likely that overall dot net prices will fall in the future.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Privacy is not 100% all or nothing, just as no domain name is "indespensable" or someone would already be using it.

It's a matter of how easy it is to find something on Google, and how much people need a name. I would suggest respecting the orignal posters wishes even if you think it does not matter much or at all.

For example, if someone posts a picture of you on a nude beach from the 80s when you were young and wild, your friends will likely never see it unless someone puts your exact name on the picture. Some jerk may come along and put your name on the nude picture, but he is a jerk in my book.

WAY OFF TOPIC!
Seriously what does this have to do with the appraisal?

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL C'mon guys. Let's stick to the topic shall we.

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinons... I'll probably hold the domain given it's huge upside, and wait for the right offer/end buyer.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Debating two options, to sell or develop.

I guess the dilemma lies in that it takes quite a bit of resources (a.k.a. money) to actually develop company.net into something that would catch the eyes of potential end-users, instead of just another more "sophisticated" parking site aiming at luring website traffic from unsuspecting (stupid) visitors.

If budget allows, I would develop it into a website that provides useful information about e.g. how to start a small business via some well-written and original content. Yes, it takes time as well, but your reward would be much higher. Good luck.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Call me when you patent that alternate reality machine.

I can't patent it since it's the accepted "random-walk theory" of stock and other investments.

Google it or in brief: Half the people think prices will rise and the other half think it will fall at any given price. If most people thought the prices would rise in the future they would bid up the stock or dot-net prices. If most people thought prices would fall, they would sell and drive down today's price.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do people take appraisals or counter-appraisals personally?

If someone is not a personal fan of a particular extension then they diminish their view when that dislike comes out.

Also, comparing bathrooms to company is hardly the point...if any point at all.

Compare company dot com to company dot net.

Relying on what other domains of the same extension sold for is a waste of time and a waste of effort to even look up for price comparisons. Only trends can really be garnered from looking up such stats.

Last edited:

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone is not a personal fan of a particular extension then they diminish their view when that dislike comes out.

"Fans" may be just a bad choice of words on your part, as I don't choose my words well in 3-minute posts, but if you only look at predictions by "fans," your estimate would be highly biased and I should believe the Redskins will win the Superbowl (or even win half their games).

Others disagree with looking up comparable sales. The Original Poster literally believes his name is as good as gold (Gold.net at about $81,000). I wish him well finding a buyer who agrees.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
While you appear to be plainly conservative with your appraising rationale, I think you're simply unaware of the resources and channels available to sell quality .net domains.
Also, you seem to like extremes, such as claiming the OP thinks his domain is "gold".

I stopped listening to lowball or "reg fee" appraisals years ago. Since then, I've turned $xx domains into $x,xxx and $xx,xxx sales and that includes many non .com sales.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then pick a word you can live with and substitute it for the word "fan".

Your triteness does not change the content and the message of the comments.

brian1234

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
People are often worried that if they post a name for an appraisal or at a wholesale/reseller price, potential customers will google the name and see that others think the name is worth much less than it's asking price. I have made the mistake sometimes, but please try to write or edit the names the way the original poster writes it.

Your rebuke is merited, thanks for letting me know :)
Good luck...

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also, you seem to like extremes, such as claiming the OP thinks his domain is "gold".

The OP is pricing his name above what Gold.net, the second highest dot net sale, sold for in 2011. I would say someone else likes extremes.

I could not resist, but now anyone asking more than $81.5K for a dot net could be said to either have a name "as good as gold" or think his name is "as good as gold"

But it's not really comparing the metal gold with some other substance, but comparing the keyword and gold industry and the value of the domain name in that industry.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The OP is pricing his name above what Gold.net, the second highest dot net sale, sold for in 2011. I would say someone else likes extremes.

I could not resist, but now anyone asking more than $81.5K for a dot net could be said to either have a name "as good as gold" or think his name is "as good as gold"

But it's not really comparing the metal gold with some other substance, but comparing the keyword and gold industry and the value of the domain name in that industry.

Company (dot) net and Gold (dot) net are both great domains, but there are many factors that go into the price of a domain sale.

I would take Company (dot) net over Business.co, which also sold for $80K price range.

"Company" is a term that has multiple uses and thousands of potential end users.

Company creation, and everything that goes along with it is big business.
There is no doubt IMO that the right end user would pay Mid $XX,XXX - High $XX,XXX for this domain name.

Also, .NET is far more popular with end users than most domainers realize.
This is an extension with close to 15M regs and wide end user usage.

Brad

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people just simply do not understand that it does not matter what someone else paid for another domain. Mistake number one: relying on past sales to be your guide.

Gold selling for 81K - big whoop. That was what someone somewhere was willing to pay to the .net version of Gold...at the time.

From a business analyst point of view...how many consumers are into gold vs. how many consumers are into company formation, job search, marketing, etc. That comparison is because the word gold basically has one defined market space and one definition whereas the word company has a much broader definition and much broader market to the consumer. Typically, the broader the market, the broader the appeal (and the marketability).

If gold net sold for that amount to a domain holder and not the end user, then all I can say is good luck with that.

I keep saying it over and over - forget selling to domainers. Forget pricing things in the sense of a reseller perspective. Think end user and end user sales on everything. Even that weaseling domainer lowballing the hell out of you trying to get a "reseller" price. Screw that shit. How do you know he's not the end user? Besides, aiming for reselling market and selling to other domainers is like french kissing your sister or incest - keeping it all in the family.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If gold net sold for that amount to a domain holder and not the end user, ... .

I only typed in the domain name Gold.Net redirects to a real company, Pinnacle Gold Group, so your thinking that oh it's a wholesale price and the retail price must be higher, does not seem to be the case to me, although I did not look up whois. Of course anything is possible and he could be both a gold dealer and a domain speculator.

Also, one would expect the top dollar sales to be to retail customers since retail prices are the highest prices.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I would take Company (dot) net over Business.co, which also sold for $80K price range.

If business.co actaully sold for $80K I hope the owner is making some money off his cheap parking page.

You "dreamers" do realize that even Business.com was NOT sold for $7 million dollars in CASH, it was just over $200,000 in cash and he was lucky to walk away with $2 million, only because Business.com went public. But why ruin a good press release - the only thing real near $7 million was the free publicity they got.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

here is one link to the real sale price of Business.com that shows he was lucky to get $2M - if the company tanked who knows what he would have got.

http://domainnamewire.com/2006/10/09/landmark-businesscom-sale-only-2m/

there is a better link to some interview he did with Forbes or some major magazine somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom