Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Contacted by major corporation about TM infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

taktikz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Received an email a few hours ago from a major corporation. They say that the domain infringes on their trademark of TWO LETTERS.
I'm not going to mention the domain, but it contains two letters that can stand for ANYTHING!

They are threatening to take legal action if I don't hand over the domain.

Would appreciate advice from those who have experience on these issues.

Thanks

Domain Summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Research LH.com / Lufthansa

taktikz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The email is from a law firm that specializes in TM infringement, not from the corporation itself.

Note: Just contacted a couple of lawyers. Let's see what they have to say.

Last edited:

Drop And Cover

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This kind of stuff makes me furious, it's as frivolous as you can get. They think they have a right to what's yours just because they are a corporation and you are an individual. You can bet your arse they wouldn't dare if it was already in use by another corporation.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Post the email received, it could be a scam.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell them to pound dirt, and to print out your email and shove it up their a$$.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen to me...It was an idiot who wanted my domain name and wasn't even a lawyer. Sent out a phony email. He was just trying to get my domain name. So like an earlier poster said, check the email and confirm that it is from a law firm.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is your intent, how is it displayed, does it depict anything related to the business of the complainant.

Those are what need to be addressed rather than just say you are being picked on by a legal team.

Did you do something with the name to raise red flags?

taktikz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is your intent, how is it displayed, does it depict anything related to the business of the complainant.

Those are what need to be addressed rather than just say you are being picked on by a legal team.

Did you do something with the name to raise red flags?
The domain doesn't even have a site. It doesn't even have a parking page on it.
I'm surprised they even knew it existed.

The domain itself could be used for a variety of things. Things that are related like an enthusiast forum/site and things that are unrelated as the two letters can stand for a number of things.

Here's the email:
Dear Mr. X:

Please find attached a letter describing your infringement of "Corporation's" Intellectual Property Rights. Please contact me if you are unable to read the attached letter. The attachments have also been sent to you via First Class Mail. The letter contains a deadline for your response.

Lawyer
Lawfirm Name

Address
Tele:
Fax

Last edited:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell them you are going to file a suit against them for attempted reverse domain hijacking.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe so...you would have to do some searching but I have seen it as a finding a few times by wipo panels..

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well i aint no experienced or a layer either but the smart thing would be playing it right than writing them right away that you will sue them. First study and look for similar cases , has this happen before and whats the results ? if the results are in your favor than i say you go ahead and write them that you will sue them or something like that . But if those cases the cooperation had won , then you should study more contact a lawyer and ask for their advice and what you should do about the case.

RandysDomains

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been on the receiving and sending end (through my employers lawyers) of similar letters.

The first thing to ask is whether or not you are really violating their trademark. A quick way is to search the USPTO site for the letter combination. It's not a simple search tool(s), but helpful.

Wait for the letter and think the situation through.

In my case I had registered (privately) the domain of (bigcompanyname)store.com. I had owned the domain for a number of years, and had plans to sell it to one of the big company dealers or maybe build a store, but never had. I clearly had their name in the domain I registered. I wrote back and explained I had no intent of cyber-squatting the domain and using it to damage them. I explained that I had spent $xxx to hold the domain for 6 years (i think it was) and could they reimburse me for that expense. They explained that they did not pay for 'their' intellectual property. Then they sent a check for the $xxx dollars. I was happy as I was not out any money, and they were happy to get the name.

So, not all big companies are bad, and can actually be reasonable. For the big company a low $xxx settlement was nothing.

I guess that the bottom line of my reply is to caution you about jumping off a bridge and contacting a lawyer until you think the situation through. PM me if you want.

Hope it all works out well.....

Randy

DNBA

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well what i would say is that "Even tho you may not see a website it doesnt me the domain isnt in use. The domain is used for our network system. Any attempt to disrupt our use for domain xx will result in legal auction" I believe if they do try to file for a udrp you can file a lawsuit and have it removed and let the courts decide.

If they take it that far you can then express that the domain is in use and that its a generic term and hasnt infringed on any trademark nor have you made any attempt to sell the domain to the other party.

Im not a lawyer but there may be a way to sue for attempt of disrupting network servers and putting said domain at risk.

*Also if you respond via email I would reply with an email using that domain.

Last edited:

iestates

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I definitely read an article within the last two months where a big company tried to reverse hijack, they lost, and the owner of the domain was awarded damages in the case. I'll try to find the article and post it here.

Either way, it sounds to me like a load of crap on their side. You should verify this is not a hoax and that the lawyer actually DOES represent the company (this is also something to be wary of). After that, if you come back with a strong response showing that you know what you're talking about, are not afraid to defend your position, then they will likely back down. If they don't, tell them in so many words that they better be prepared for a counter suit.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this is not professional legal advice. :)

taktikz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful responsed.
The domain consists of USED(XX).net
Where XX can stand for a variety of things.

I just received the letter in the mail today. Contacted a few lawyers a few minutes ago and waiting on their response. Probably will take the letter to a local lawyer just to interpret the letter for me.

To me, this feels like reverse domain hijacking. But, lets see what happens.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

iestates

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom