Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

DAN.com going to increase commission to 15%

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_2023-01-05-00-04-29-777-edit_com.google.android.gm.jpg

I am disappointed to see that Dan.com will be increasing their commission from 9% to 15% effective from February 2023.

I think this may be a significant concern for many of DAN sellers, as it could drastically impact thier profits from domain sales.

It's frustrating to see the commission being raised to such a high level, especially since many of domainers have been using the platform for a long time and have helped contribute to its success.

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reza founder of Dan on the GD acquisition.

📣
My (personal) view on the recent Dan & Godaddy commission alignment: 1: 55-60% of domain sales originate at the biggest and most effective distribution network (Afternic). The commission there is decreased from 20% to 15%. 2: 45%-40% via optimized for sale pages and... 1/4

the commission from direct lander sales will be aligned with what you pay for a distributed sale. Effectively, the average domainer will not see a net negative on his/her sales outcome but in some cases even a positive outcome after this commission alignment. 2/4

Historically domainers react negatively to paying a commission but I've always said that a commission-less domain industry would lead to zero innovation as operating in the field without income results in no R&D and so product development or simply poor service. 3/4

To conclude: the roadmap of Dan & Godaddy for the secondary market is huge and exciting and is delivering tremendous value for all domainers that utilize these services effectively. Nobody likes change but great things are on the horizon
🙂
4/4

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just found out about another (related) issue. Apparently since the commission is now the same for domains sold through DAN and Afternic, it was decided that domain names with a Buy it Now price on DAN are automatically published on Afternic (check your DAN-account if you were not aware of this).

The commission is the same, so you get a little more exposure. Sounds good? Well here is the catch: all domains on Afternic are listed with a price inherited from the Buy it Now price on DAN, but ... always in USD.

As a consequence:
- If you list your domains with a Euro BIN on DAN and they are sold through Afternic, you get 8% less
- If you list your domains with a GBP BIN on DAN and they are sold through Afternic, you get 19% less

Examples:
You list a domain on DAN with a BIN of €10,000.
When it sells on DAN you receive €8,500 (BIN minus 15% fees)
When it sells on Afternic you receive $8,500 = €7,996

You list a domain on DAN with a BIN of GBP 10,000.
When it sells on DAN you receive GBP 8,500 (BIN minus 15% fees)
When it sells on Afternic you receive $8,500 = GBP 6.848

So selling on Afternic for domains in priced in euro's or GBP is the equivalant of a 20% commission (for Euro listings) or a 31.5% commission (for GBP listings)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom