Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Detagged/Suspended UK names

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blob2

I never said they did back-order customers monitored domains, I said "I wonder if they do" as seen as they have automatic back-orders on the majority of descent .uk domains.

These back-orders are most definetally not a customer, as per my example of t3.co.uk. A back-order is only valid for a year, why would someone in their right mind back-order t3.co.uk as its obvious it wont come available this year.

Although as seen as nametrack runs the system, their own automated back-orders can be on for an unlimited amount of years so if t3.co.uk becomes available anytime in the future they would claim ownership.

If this is not a monopoly, I dont know what is!

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do personally hold a number of back-orders on NameTrack, and I’m open about that to all whom ask the question. At the moment I have 53 back-orders of which over half are two word domain names, the majority of which are related to our business in some way (for example domaintracker.co.uk). The remainder are one word domain names with the exception of two which are 3 letter. I do not intend to hold a great deal of back-orders but having spent the time, effort and money developing this service I do not consider it inappropriate to acquire some domain names which are relevant to our business and/or acquire some quality domain names in order to help demonstrate the effectiveness of our system (such as discount.co.uk).

We have NOT back-ordered all the 3 letter and 2 character domain names. Our effectiveness rate for grabbing these highly sought after names dropped below our quality threshold last week therefore we decided that, in the interests of ensuring our early customers were happy customers, to withdraw them from availability. Our success rate for grabbing all more than 3 letter domain names has been approx 94% during extensive testing and the first two weeks of been open to the public. We hope to implement some changes in the not too distant future that will improve our efficiency rate and make us feel comfortable releasing back-orders on 3 letter and 2 character domain names again.

In responses the blob2’s comment, “His silence leads one to wonder if they also back-order descent names that their customers are monitoring...”, I am not silent and I have responded to all questions and criticism presented on this forum – I just don’t have time to visit the board every day due to running a business. You then imply we back-order descent names that our customers are monitoring, which is completely untrue and your comment is slanderous. As stated elsewhere on this forum I run a professional and reputable business and therefore take great exception to such comments.

Best Regards
Martin
www.nametrack.co.uk

domaindude

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Great post, thanks very much for clearing this up Martin. Certainly didn't mean to imply that the biz u are running is not reputable as this looks a great (and long awaited!) service.

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domaindude
Just to check with u martin, are you excluding yourself from ordering any of the names..

It looks a great service, although all Detagged three letter names (and combinations) have already gone and most top tier one word detagged names have also been taken.

Hi domaindude,

Your previous post didn't cause offence at all - you asked a very valid question. One thing I did forget to mention ... I can assure you that there are still *loads* of top tier one word detagged domains that have not been back-ordered although order volume is increasing significantly due to press coverage.

Best Regards
Martin
www.nametrack.co.uk

B

blob2

I cant believe this... I searched for a the name dictionary.co.uk yesterday which was suspended so I logged on today to back-order it and guess what... Martin Reeves had registered it.

Martin Reeves is monitoring searches and is registering descent domains that customers search for!

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are saying that you did a search on NameTrack and dictionary.co.uk was not back-ordered and then came back the next day and it was then you are mistaken. As openly stated earlier in this thread I do hold back-orders myself BUT have not back-ordered ANY domains since opening the doors for the public.

You can continue to write slanderous comments here if you wish - ultimately the results NameTrack achieves for its customers will speak for themself.

We dot not and will not monitor searches on our web site.

Regards
Martin
www.nametrack.co.uk

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by blob2
I cant believe this... I searched for a the name dictionary.co.uk yesterday which was suspended so I logged on today to back-order it and guess what... Martin Reeves had registered it.

Martin Reeves is monitoring searches and is registering descent domains that customers search for!
If the service works, use it. If you don't like it, simple - look somewhere else.

B

blob2

So why was the domain regsitered the next day in your name? When the day before the domain was suspended and not back-ordered?

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So why was the domain regsitered the next day in your name? When the day before the domain was suspended and not back-ordered?

The domain name was back-ordered ... it was back-ordered before the site was even open to the public.

B

blob2

Did you read my above post?

"When the day before the domain was suspended and not back-ordered?"

The domain was not back-ordered the day before, it was suspended and did not have a back-order on it!

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did you read my above post?

"When the day before the domain was suspended and not back-ordered?"

The domain was not back-ordered the day before, it was suspended and did not have a back-order on it!

I read your post perfectly ... but i'm telling you (again) that dictionary.co.uk was back-ordered prior to the site been open to the public (to be precise it was back-ordered on the 16th July) therfore you could not have seen it as been available to back-order.

Regards
Martin
www.nametrack.co.uk

B

blob2

Well now you have left me with no trust in your business at all, you dont tell the truth about the dictionary.co.uk domain name and you make an excuse about all the .uk domains under three charactors having back-orders on them...

I dont wish to carry on this conversation as you wont be able to add anything more but excuses.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I am guessing is likely is that the people working at NameTrack have access to a list of the domains that get deleted every day (I imagine they produce this while checking the names that are "Tracked" or at some other point)

Since .co.uk is hardly .com, it would be the work of a few minutes to cast an eye down the list (after the "Tracks" - if any - have been fulfilled) and to register any "nice" domains that no customer had "tracked".

The list would likely be available minutes or seconds after a "drop" since it takes practically no time at all for the system to say "no Tracks on these - take a look..." and since there are practically no competing drop catchers in .co.uk this would make it very, very likely that NT insiders can secure "good" names for themselves by registering them a few minutes after a drop.

I don't see anything unethical in the above, either, so long as ALL the customers who placed Tracks get their Tracks honoured FIRST i.e. NT insiders cannot beat "Tracks".

I agree with genki, if you wanted the domain blob and you saw it not backordered then the logical thing would have been to backorder it. By not doing that, you removed any claim or right you have to prevent nametrack registering the domain for themselves.

As for 3 letter .co.uk's - so what? If they want to reserve those thats their lookout, theres nothing stopping you trying to register them yourself (good luck with that one :laugh: ).

The world doesn't owe you anything and neither does nametrack.

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
blob2, I believe I have addressed all the points you have raised in some detailed posts earlier in this thread. In summary:

• We have NOT back-ordered all the 3 letter and 2 character domain names.
  • We have NOT back-ordered all good domain names.
  • We do not monitor searches conducted by users of our web site.
  • We do not back-order domain names monitored by our users.
  • dictionary.co.uk was back-ordered before the site was open to the public.
  • Ultimately the results NameTrack achieves for its customers will speak for themself.

Regards
Martin
www.nametrack.co.uk

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well now you have left me with no trust in your business at all, you dont tell the truth about the dictionary.co.uk domain name and you make an excuse about all the .uk domains under three charactors having back-orders on them...

I dont wish to carry on this conversation as you wont be able to add anything more but excuses.

I doubt i'll find out, but who are you in the 'real world'?

Are you a tag holder that has just been knocked out of the secondary .uk market by someone with a better system than you (i.e. you've been drop catching on the quiet)? If so, I can suggest who you might be (but I won't).

You've got my real name. Why not publish yours? :D

NeilUK

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Well here's my story, just been into dnchat to find that something I thought I had only just discovered had was already being discussed here, thanks for the link safe:)

Tonight I re-checked a list of avail track detagged .co.uk domains, which I have built up since "last week", to my suprise Dictionary.co.uk showed as active? so thinking it must have been renewed or something I click the whois and find NT (Mreeves) has got it.

This gets me thinking, so I ask a couple of people who also use NT "when NT are successful with a track does their info appear in whois for a day or so, then change to the successful party, now I find I,m wrong and Martin is actually the successful party.

Conclusion:-

1.) Blob is correct regards the track being avail last week for dictionary.co.uk
2.) My initial thought was Ok I missed out why didnt I track it myself when it was avail.
3.) First come first served is fine "but" it does raise eyebrows Martin, things like this dont go un-noticed.
4.) NT are new and I am sure they will be very successful, who else offered such a service before NT? there are still as Martin says plenty of good .co.uks awaiting a track.

Just wanted to give my thoughts.

GL

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NeilUK, thanks for the constructive email. What happened is a by-product of the fact that the nominet whois results are not real time.

As stated earlier dictionary.co.uk is a domain name that was back-ordered prior to the site been open to the public. On Monday 2nd September 2002 at 15:25 the NameTrack system successfully registered dictionary.co.uk for me personally. As soon as a back-order is successfully fulfilled the back-order subscription on that domain name is immediately deleted (perhaps I should consider delaying this).

Because the name search on NameTrack displays the status of the domain name according to the non real time whois result provided by Nominet, the domain name can be still shown as 'suspended' despite the fact that it has already been deleted and registered by another party. From my experience the public facing whois database is updated approx every 8 hours and is usually in the region of 16 hours behind the authorative database.

Regards
Martin
www.nametrack.co.uk

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mreeves
Because the name search on NameTrack displays the status of the domain name according to the non real time whois result provided by Nominet, the domain name can be still shown as 'suspended' despite the fact that it has already been deleted and registered by another party. From my experience the public facing whois database is updated approx every 8 hours and is usually in the region of 16 hours behind the authorative database.

Martin,

If you can say, is one side-effect of this delayed whois going to be the fact that NT insiders will always get an 8-16 hour "window" ahead of the general web population on expired .co.uk names?

I believe there's no easy way to do realtime whois checks on the .uk domain space (if I'm wrong, I'd love to know where I can do that kind of search) so that only an organization such as NT, which is doing an automated diff, can see what's dropped during that "dead" time interval.

If that's the case, and if NT employees are allowed to register names without Tracks on them for their own account (is this permitted in your organization?) then that means that all "desirable un-Tracked names" will by default end up being owned by NT employees.

I emphasize that there's nothing inherently wrong if the above hypothesis is correct, but it would be to your credit to confirm or deny this publicly, I believe.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mreeves
As soon as a back-order is successfully fulfilled the back-order subscription on that domain name is immediately deleted (perhaps I should consider delaying this).

Why not add another state, apart from "active", "detagged" and "suspended" and call it something like "dormant"

The definition of "dormant" is "a domain that was registered within the last 48 hours by the NameTrack system"

The NT system would bar tracks on "dormant" names... and the dormant status would migrate to "active" after 48 hours.

The above would kill 2 birds with 1 stone:-

A) It serves to eliminate the possible confusing situations like the one under discussion in this thread
B) It acts as an ongoing advertisement for the quality/effectiveness of NT's service - the more dormant names people come across, the more they will believe/understand how useful NT's service offering is

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom