Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Dnf Whining Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

parwold

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'v started this link so that all moans about paying for membership of the <u>glorious DNF</u> can be posted here. not on the PLATINUM link, so go ahead!

Upvote 0

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by oneguy

.... maybe someday when I'm convinced that forums would NOT be a free resource .. I'll come back and foot the bill ... but for now, its GOOD-BYE .... it has been short ... but well worth the experience.

OneGuy, dnforum is more than a forum, it is a maketplace for domains. Tell me a successful marketplace that will auction your domains for free. Ebay, no. Afternic, no. And there are many benefits with partners, including snapnames.

You are limiting your scope when you look at dnforum as just a forum.

Thanks for your kind words.

Good Luck!

Domain Summit 2024

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

as everyone might know I am damn new in this domain business.
Therefor I have not got a lot of domains and most of them would not even been considered worthy by the others.
I am still sitting here debating if I shall pay that money...it is not that I could not afford it, but as I so far have only made losses I am not sure if I shall invest even more.
I very very much enjoy this forum ( that´s why I have been online here as often as possible ), but since I am not a professional seller this is questionable.
Will there be enough potential when people can´t freely browse and post anymore?
Do NOT get me wrong, I am well aware of the hard work and money that has been put into this concept, but I always thought that reselling needs promotion and if this is a pay-forum it could disattract new people.
I am still debating...

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greg,

I appreciate the efforts you have invested in making DNF a great place. However, in my opinion you are making a big mistake if basic membership will have to be paid for.
Here are my ideas. I thought I shold share them with you because I would like to see DNF survive as a top class forum.

A forum like DNF is very much depending on a continuous stream of new people. If these new people have a choice of
A) paying to get a membership for DNF where they cannot even see upfront what they wil get, or
B) go to Domainstate where they can see what they get and immediately get all benefits for free,
Then 90% of all people new to such forums will pass on DNF.

A similar thing will happen with existing members. Don't forget that the vast majority of DNF members are relatively silent members. Many of these will hesitate to pay, try another place in the meantime and if that works just as well they'll probably not come back to DNF.
Only a small percentage of the current members is very active and will pay without hesitation.

My expectation is that if you install the current plans then you will make a few thousand $ at most in the first year, but as probably 70% of the members walk away rather then paying this forum will collapse and after one year renewals and thus membership will collapse.

Most websites that have in the past changed from "free information" to "paid information" have lost some 80% - 90% of their members. Usually they either change their policies back or they stop their trade.
I hope there is a better future for DNF.

Hans Oglov

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brn2h8

Maybe I'll give domainstate a try.

Watch out for the tumbleweed :D.

parwold

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice to know this tread is working!

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I went gold today. Do I have to pay the full price if I want to upgrade?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by revsorg
I went gold today. Do I have to pay the full price if I want to upgrade?

When was you planning on going Platinum?

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At this point in time, I think the whining is a bit premature.

Originally posted by gregr
For those of you that say you will never pay a penny, it may be several months before you will have to pay. So enjoy while you can.

Hey, who knows, plans can change in a few months. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From the comments I've read on this.

Seems like if you buy in to the forum, you are responded to in
a favorable way and if you voice dissenting opinion you get frowned upon. It's like paying for a good appraisal.
Being labeled as a 'whiner' when someone poses an opinion contray to the administrations viewpoint, shows a lack of humbleness. It also describes the person as 'childlike', as in children crying because they can't get what they want. We are not children, we are adults with opinions, who are trying to express are thoughts within a medium that is "set-up' specifically for that purpose.

Some mods have become very arrogant and hostility is rising as a result of money issues, as "money is the root of evil".

Someone asked the question "if you buy a membership, can you still get banned". The reply from Gregr was "Yes". Therefore there
will be censorship or a "republicanized-Bush mentality" as you will still have to watch what you say, even if you pay. So money won't allow you to speak freely.

I remember when the DN bucks system was being eliminated, and there were a lot of responses to that issue as well. As a result of that "Stockdoctor" is no longer administering the exchange. Either because he was tired of the whole ordeal or other for reasons unknown.

In reflection it reminds me of a baseball game. "It's my ball and if
you don't play by my rules, you don't play". But, what good is a game without other players. Now you will have to "pay to play" and still go by my rules.

I for one was going around bragging to all my friends about how great DN Forum is and how they should join up. Now I'll have to say, you have to pay to join and I don't know if it's still going to be as good as it was. The "uncertainty of the future" is what makes paying to join the forum a deterrent. As long as it was free
there was no uncertainty.

The perks that are offered are only valuable if the membership is sustained or increases. Ie: discounts on "Snaps". what if snapnames fails to stay in business, what if ICANN changes policy as disallows any entity to script write domain deletion registrations? All these are possibilities of changes, just as DnForum is changing, so can ICANN. It's a big gamble and I'm glad the dice are not in my hands right now.

Maybe the 'Superman' avatar needs to be changed to a
"George Bush" avatar.

$0.13 a day to visit a forum is a lot of guaranteed income for a website. I wish I could get revenue like that for my site.

Like "Gail' states..."I'm still sitting on the fence,waiting to see what happens"...so too am I.

Biggie.us

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i never even heard of domainstate until i browsed this thread. gonna check that out now i guess.

i think you might have had better luck with monthly or quarterly pricing to avoid sticker shock. $50 is real money but smaller numbers might have been easier to swallow.

charging doesn't suprise me, but the amount seems very high.

$5 a year would be more like it. sure you need 10 times the users to gain the same revenue, but you'd be able to continue to expand the forum. now i think it's going to start shrinking which isn't good even if you were getting $500 per user.

charlie

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just said this in another thread. Since it applies to the same thing - I will post it again here in this thread.

Please note: No hostility - No anger - Just trying to explain the facts and the situation as accurately as possible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It would not be free anywhere else - and this isn't just a forum.

100's of names are bought & sold here every week. Yet there are no transaction fees - handling charges - etc.

Also - if you really think this site (with the bandwidth we use) could be hosted for $10 a month - then I don't know what to say to you. That is so far off the mark - that it's insulting.

So to say because the message board license only costs so much - and then to disregard ALL the other facts - and say it's just a forum - is wrong.

In addition - you DO NOT have to pay $50 just to browse and use the message boards. That is ONLY for people who want the perks of selling names - buying cheap 'Snaps' - etc.

For those who do choose to become Platinum members - $50 / 12 = $4.16 a month. HALF of one reg fee.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The $50 sounds fair to me, not that I can join today or next week, maybe next month, it's the warning time we had that I thought was a little rushed.

Is it Canadian $ at par :)

Mike

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Popper, its not the $50, man, its... ah, forget it. Good luck guys, its been fun.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Point8T
Popper, its not the $50, man, its... ah, forget it. Good luck guys, its been fun.

Point - we have been answering questions left & right all day long - and also taking a lot of abuse.

I have tried to be thorough - and tried to explain it all. Unlike some of the people (not you) taking cheap shots at us - we are trying to not be rude with anybody. I know that some people are upset - and I understand it. The last thing we want - is to see good people like yourself leave.

However - when some people just turn their backs on us - without even given time for things to work out - and time for us to talk thru everything - it's not fair. We work SO hard here - and I think we deserve a little more patience.

That's all we are asking.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
offer monthly pricing (fee/12) and i think you might see a good response.

i would MUCH rather pay $4.15 a month to give myself time to figure out that dnforum is the right place for me. i'd buy a month right this second so i could get back to posting.

but i don't want to commit to a year. can't think that far ahead. yearly pricing is a mistake i think.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cmason22 - fair enough. At least you are still here - and making suggestions. :)

Please guys/gals - don't just jump ship on us. Talk to us. If the amount of work and time we put in here means anything to you - talk to us. I can't guarantee anything except that if everybody just argues back and forth - then nothing will get done for sure.

*popper tickles everybody under their chins* :D

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com

Point - we have been answering questions left & right all day long - and also taking a lot of abuse.

I have tried to be thorough - and tried to explain it all. Unlike some of the people (not you) taking cheap shots at us - we are trying to not be rude with anybody. I know that some people are upset - and I understand it. The last thing we want - is to see good people like yourself leave.

However - when some people just turn their backs on us - without even given time for things to work out - and time for us to talk thru everything - it's not fair. We work SO hard here - and I think we deserve a little more patience.

That's all we are asking.

Sorry, bro, i have nothing against you guys. As mods and members the guys here were more then great. You show respect to others even when no repsect should be given. Thank you for your efforts. I truly appreciate it. This is a great board. I just think some things need drastic changes and the move to $50 is way to early in the game. I am not turning my back, i simply dont want to fight anyone here. I dont want to stay and hope for a better tomorrow to be kicked out a week later... I have been supporting this forum, you know it, man, i have been trying to make a difference, voicing my concerns and trying to resolve problems with as little pain as possible. I just hate to see this going on here. I have no power to influence anything and i just want to remember this place the way i saw it. Thats all. That is why i have to go. Please do understand. I disagree with some management decisions and i feel that the attitude is 'like it or get out' and i am not going to pay a cent for that. I would pay $100/year for a community and for service. So far this is a team effort here, we all participated and tested and talked and laughed together. If we are moving towards a paid service, i think service should be provided and i am not talking about posting names for sale. I am talking service provider-client relationship. If i have a problem, at least tell me "thank you for your concern and input, we are currently looking at this issue, etc." dont tell me "if you dont like it, get lost". Do you see what i am saying? I hope you do, you of all people can see this. I am sorry, man. I honestly wish i could stay, but i cant.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
cmason22 - fair enough. At least you are still here - and making suggestions. :)

Please guys/gals - don't just jump ship on us. Talk to us. If the amount of work and time we put in here means anything to you - talk to us. I can't guarantee anything except that if everybody just argues back and forth - then nothing will get done for sure.

*popper tickles everybody under their chins* :D

Well 'pop' your demeanor seems more hospitable than other Mods, so here my comment.

Don't like being shut out so abrutly, when Gregr stated that we would have a few months before changes would take effect.
And i don't like the arrogant attitude that some of the mods have
showed towards the members.
what ever happened to 'The customer is always right" memtality.
Even as members if we haven't signed up for payment, we are potential customers, and I feel alienated my the responses that Gregr has posted and the actions of locking me out of advertising threads. That is no way to say to me that you want my business.

It's like "F... You and move on sucker" if you don't want to pay.
No customer relation skills what-so-ever.

Now you tell me, is that how you would treat a customer who has been coming to your business for 7 month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators