• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed DNJournals.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owntag

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
33
Edited:

Actually, I thought this is a very generic DN name when I bought it. Like DNForum and DNForums.
I received PM and Msgs that advise me to return it to Duke. Well, I just purchased the name a few days ago via SEDO, I have my own thoughts and plan on it. May consider all the advices later.
If it is not suitable to post here, please close this thread.
Regards.
 
Last edited:
Ask a member on here with the username "Duke" - he's the expert in this field of domains..
 
tough call

no one in the domain field would take the domain seriously. It's just not respectful.

It's like registering redcrosss.org and trying to profit from it.
 
Thanks guys, assume no traffic :)

There are around 319,000 xxxJournals.com sites out there, it's generic enough. Just my 2 cents.

I have got the info I want, this thread can be closed. Thanks again.
 
"Copyright © 1995 - 2015" ?
 
The plural is completely worthless. I would take the advice and offer it to the TM owner for free, however I doubt he will want it. Complete trash.
 
It is kinda "shady" but even some highly recognizable Non-Generics are used. Take fords.com or chevys.com, or rollingstone.com vs. rollingstones.com. I think it's just because the name can only be used for the same industry Duke's using his in that it's poor judgement.
 
I don't feel it as "generic enough". Almost as generic as ebays, where the "e" is just a letter, say like x, and bay is "generic enough".
 
Let me explain something.

Using Varlin's reply as an example: DNJournals and eBays

1. DN is a well known and generic acronym in domain name industry, well, "e" can't describe a specific industry intuitively.
2. There are 319,000 .com websites with "Journals" at the end of their domain names. However, only 2,030 sites with "Bays", so this is really not a suitable example.

From this point, wmloz's example fords.com, chevys.com, or rollingstone.com vs. rollingstones.com are not suitable as well.

DNForum and DNForums would be a good example, would you blame a DNF member who owns DNForums (I am glad to see Adam owns DNForums though)

I didn't think the potential issues this much when I bought the name from another U.S domainer, I have sent a lot of inquiry emails with offers to different DN domain owners in this niche and many replies with BIG asking price in low - mid $xx,xxx range. Well, DNJournals.com asks for $80, that's reasonable enough to me and it's a perfect name to my plan - a directory site links blogs/journals/tutorials site about domain industry (inc resell if I can find a better name later). Then I checked USPTO before the final decision just like I used to do, I didn't find the TM info on DNJournal and DNJournals, so I bought it. However, I could be wrong, if Ron owns the TM of DNJournal and he wants the plural version, I would be glad to give it to him. Although I'm a newbie in domaining, I personally respect Ron like all experienced domainers do. But, maybe just like Creature says: The plural is completely trash, Ron won't want it.

Well, with all friendly advices in mind, I started again to find another generic DN name for my plan, though I doubt that I can get another suitable name for $80. I'll try.

Thanks again.
 
1. give it to duke for $80
2. give it to duke for free
3. use it in different field such as...

Duke Nukem Journals
District Nurse Journals
Dianetics Journals
Data Network Journals
diabetic nephropathy Journals
diabetic neuropathy Journals
 
1. give it to duke for $80
2. give it to duke for free
3. use it in different field such as...

Duke Nukem Journals
District Nurse Journals
Dianetics Journals
Data Network Journals
diabetic nephropathy Journals
diabetic neuropathy Journals

Agreed plus the plural version is very low value with limited use options.

Even if their were no TM issues would you really want to start a new car manufacturing business called Toyotas.com?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom