Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Do you realize the value of type-in website names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally posted by RealNames

Hi Bid, thanks for jumping in. Again, we agree 100%. This particular name I got for a reg fee does in fact get good type-in traffic but you are absolutely right, it is non-targeted. Just as Snoopy about that, who knows the name.

This name is in the minority as most all of my other names and websites are highly targeted, a zillion times more so than this name.

I never said this name had well targeted traffic, in fact I indicated the opposite saying perhaps it is not a real name, though the type-in traffic is definately real.

I would say the traffic its receiving is definately type in traffic, and I agree it is somewhat non-targetted, though not completely so, lots of affiliates fairly close to what they would be looking for with this name in my opinion. The traffic is not all that high, but still could be used to generate a small amount of revenue making it automatically better than 99% of names mentioned in appraisals here in my view.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy
translation: "I do not have any domains with type in traffic"

It's like saying "I have lungs but I chose not to breath" :weird:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy

translation: "I do not have any domains with type in traffic"

80% of all traffic to websites are via search engines. You can take that to the bank. I don't think the issue is whether someone has a worthy "type-in" domain or not. Frankly, I think there are only a few domain names out there that I would consider good type-in names. Sex.com being one of them. Everyone knows what to expect when going to that site, or may have an inclination of what they might find. The traffic you get through type-in's, as you go down the list of "quality" domain names get's more diluted with each site.

What I fail to understand is why you guys are talking "type-ins" in the year 2002? Location, location, location doesn't necessarily mean owning Pets.com, etc. It means that when a large segment of the internet population goes searching for a product or service, that they will find what they are looking from that site. THAT my friends is the person YOU should be looking for. Not them looking for you. Trust me when I say this...There are literally a million other people pushing the same stuff as you. The difference in a successful operation is one that has a "knack" for finding people who want to buy the product or service you are offering..... "first".

I am not against "type-in" domains. I just think one should be more productive in discussing the subject. Type-in domains have NOTHING to do with making money. They do however make memorable addresses, which is one element of your business you like to see.

Hope this clears it up.

izopod

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

If you are looking to make money on the internet, you should try selling yourself the idea first. Not others. (izopod, circa 2002)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The reality is most internet sites will fail. It could also be said that most of them wouldn't fail, if they simply understood what people want, and when.

Timing is everything. Is it no wonder telemarketers have such a tough time selling items over the phone between 5 p.m and 6 p.m. Is it any wonder why candy and high impulse items are located at each check out at most grocery stores. Cuz if the candy was in the back of the store, the "impulse" to buy would be gone, by the time the person got to the front of the store. Ask yourself. how is my web site, set up. Do people actually want what I am trying to sell. Is there times when I should advertise the product, and others when I should not?
(izopod, 2002)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Type-in domains have NOTHING to do with making money.

I don't know whether or not that is true izopod - a lot of the the guys swear buy it. I will however say from my personal experience, as someone who is on the internet all day long, it is very rare that I type anything in. I usually get to the site via a search engine or via a hyperlink that someone has mailed to me or brought to my attention in one way or another. I do believe that hyperlinks are the main way people navigate the internet.

You bring up some interesting points and I will be interested to read the rebuttals.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Ask 100 different people to visit your site in the next week. Just 100. If only 2 show up, you know it's either a friend or a parent. (izopod, 2002)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say the traffic its receiving is definately type in traffic, and I agree it is somewhat non-targetted, though not completely so, lots of affiliates fairly close to what they would be looking for with this name in my opinion. The traffic is not all that high, but still could be used to generate a small amount of revenue making it automatically better than 99% of names mentioned in appraisals here in my view

I'd agree with that snoopy (taking your intimate view of the domain)..I have no doubts realnames should do just fine with ..IF he can figure out why the traffic is coming..

like I said $10 ..30 uniques a day..cant go wrong no mater the reason for the traffic..

and yes realnames you are on the right track about offering up a small product that you think relates to the traffic..posters, books etc... Products instead of banner click nonsense...a little text content and a few products ona 1 page site...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl

I do believe that hyperlinks are the main way people navigate the internet.

You bring up some interesting points and I will be interested to read the rebuttals.

Here is something to think about. Try doing a "blind type-in" with 10 different domains (not sex.com or download.com) the next time you want to look up information, or to buy something. (instead of going to the search engine). See if you either A) Find what you are looking for, or B) Actually make a purchase.

I don't think anyone would disagree that you can make money with a good quality "type-in" domain. However discussing that is painfully "obvious" and a waste of valuable time. Maybe if the post asked, "How could someone put to use a good type-in domain that wouldn't require a lot of effort"...that it would invite more productive debate and would prove that running a profitable site is more than just having a good name.

What I am trying to do is salvage this post by focusing on the "less obvious"....in that finding people first who are looking to buy your product or service is what is important. Uncannily SE's have a strange way of producing customers who want what your selling in higher numbers than say typing "Geewhiz.com" in the browser window. And being that people don't like to scroll, the higher you are on a page is worth quite a bit.

izopod

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I am trying to do is salvage this post by focusing on the "less obvious"....in that finding people first who are looking to buy your product or service is what is important

exactly izopod...

thats been my whole point about using gotoinventory as a TOOL..

simply to find out if their is a MARKET (people looking for YOU(your product or service) and get a rough idea how large that market is..

THEN ..use everything to your advantage..even registering the exact word/ phrase people are looking for (keywords) because alot of SE's DO take your domain into account ..does it REFLECT your offering..

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

exactly izopod...

thats been my whole point about using gotoinventory as a TOOL..

simply to find out if their is a MARKET (people looking for YOU(your product or service) and get a rough idea how large that market is..

THEN ..use everything to your advantage..even registering the exact word/ phrase people are looking for (keywords) because alot of SE's DO take your domain into account ..does it REFLECT your offering..

Bingo!! Cut and paste these comments to a board somewhere near your computer. Sometimes helpful reminders keep you focused. I thought of another quote: Quit chasing ghosts, and focus on what you DO know.

izopod

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
one last thing, and I am done with this thread.

Let's say you are first in getting someone to your site. If the layout sucks, and your shopping cart gives them any hesitation, then whoever is next in line will get the business. The worst thing about this is, that customer will not go back to your site.

If your site does have a clean layout, easy to search items, good shopping cart, are you maximizing the visit by this customer?? Any way to increase the chances you'll get them to spend more than they anticicpated?? Add on sales at checkout?? Don't forget, the location of those impulse items can AND will produce a sale NOT anticipated. Those are always the "sweetest".

izopod

It seems the perception of type ins revolves around whether you have them and whether you are making money from them.

When someone goes to the trouble of typing the term they are intersted in into the address bar and appending .com its hard to see how you can value that less then the person who just types it in a box marked search on their home page.

The impression I get is that the people promoting the idea of type ins being near worthless or non existent so are the ones who do not own these kinds of domains. If you have a look at the domain wanted ads, that is domainers actually willing to pull out the check book, you'll see most are looking for type in domains not domains which may have good search engine potential, fancy that!

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Snoopy .fancy that I sold over 1,200K in Domains last week..not one has "type-in " value... fancy that !LOL

Safesys..
"When someone goes to the trouble of typing the term they are intersted in into the address bar and appending .com its hard to see how you can value that less then the person who just types it in a box marked search on their home page."

It CAN have MUCH less value...lets say you have "gusty.com" and it gets 10 naturals a day.. so what....! BIg Deal !..

point is all that "traffic" is is simply speculators ..because no one is REALLY looking for "gusty" ..because their isnt any such thing ...

Thats MY point.....
so you can have al that nonsense "type-ins" that you want ..for the most part they are all just junk..(old sites that went defunt that will lose their typ-in value or nonsensical domains with spectus or untargeted traffic)

MOST are just junk...not all..certainly if you have a domain that obviously REPRESENTS a product /service or info then of course it has inherent value..no one is arguing that point..
I repeat no one is arguing THAT point..

Let me ask you 2 this Either one of you own ANY Poster related domains with natural traffic or KNOW anyomne that does?..of course not..there are only 3 maybe 4 domains that do...all the rest literally thousands dont have "natural" type-ins ..

does that make them worthless...
of course not..MANY are target specific..meaning people ARE looking for them in the SE's by the thousands and considering over 85% of web surfers use SE's for their search ..they have much more value than owning some "goofy" domain like "gusty.com"

Of course we have to keep in mind alot of you guys have different perspective because ALL you do is speculate..some of us have moved on to actual development AND specultion and have found it is much more lucritive to actually have something more substantial behind a domain than a $00 price tag..

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's not try to psychoanalyse the situation. My point is simply this :- random type-in traffic does not equate to good/profitable traffic.

Gone are the days of traffic obsessed sites with no clue as to who they are attracting, so long as there are tons of them.

Targeted traffic is what this game is all about TODAY, not hype-in, opps I mean type-in traffic.

bid, all my sales are done on vanity , my daily revenue is done from type ins so i see both sides of the coin.

Originally posted by bidawinner
Snoopy .fancy that I sold over 1,200K in Domains last week..not one has "type-in " value... fancy that !LOL

from reading your other posts the domains were sites current listed on s/e's with traffic , names like sell regularly as the traffic can easily be monetized just like type in traffic. These aren't names with search engine potential but rather names with actual search engine traffic - big difference in my view.

But note I said most of the most of domain wanted ads are for names with with type in traffic. Its also woth looking at the big recent sales, eg - cams.com, granny.com - these are examples of domains with likely very solid type ins. Names like these don't get 20-30k to other domain investors because they look nice! How many names with search engine potential, or even actual search engine traffic without type ins sell for $20-30k to other domainers?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've figured it out why some posts seem to come back time and time again. No one reads the post the first time. They only read what they wrote.

For the love of God and if you have any self esteem left. TYPE-ins CAN generate revenue! Duh!!!!! No one is disagreeing with that. Either change the subject into: How to maximize a good type-in name, or get to the intent of the post: How to make solid returns on your web site.

The pro-word today is "optimization", not "type-in" btw....

WARNING: **PLEASE READTHIS POST AGAIN**. Failure to do so will result you in repeating history twice.

good day...

izopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom