Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain backorders - how to avoid an auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow domainers,

Question about backordering domains with NameJet, SnapNames, and Pool. I have had some success in past years, but have not used these services much in a couple of years. I appeal to you to help fill me in on whatever changes my have occurred. Basically I want to avoid an auction if I can, or at least know what risks I run.

It's my understanding that all three of these major services will start an auction if more than one person has backordered the domain in question. Will any of them start an auction even if there was only one bidder? (I know GoDaddy does this, and I'm definitely not going to submit my backorder to GoDaddy for that very reason. If I was the only person smart enough to be there when the name is re-released, why would I want to arrange for GoDaddy to then invite the public into an auction?)

Are the three major companies basically identical in terms of procedures? Any of them more likely to force an auction instead of just awarding you the domain?

Any other tips I should know about ways to avoid an auction? I would really prefer to just grab my domain outright.

Thank you!

Brian

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Namejet, if it is an expiring name, you have to put your bid in about 3 seconds before 11pm EST...with the exception of if the name is a Register.com name - my experience has been that Register.com will show as a second bidder under the "namejetreserve" handle and bid in their own auction.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about Namejet. But I'm not sure I understand. Why do you have to put in the bid with only three seconds to spare? You're saying the three seconds has to do with Register.com bidding on their own names?

I already put in the backorder with NameJet with the minimum bid. Says there are "1" bidders. (Me I guess.) So that is not good? What should I do now?

@Namejet, if it is an expiring name, you have to put your bid in about 3 seconds before 11pm EST...with the exception of if the name is a Register.com name - my experience has been that Register.com will show as a second bidder under the "namejetreserve" handle and bid in their own auction.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What Onwards means is that you'd want to avoid bidding on a domain until the last few seconds of the window closing, to avoid others participating. That's not 100% foolproof of course.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know namejet would announce to the world once you back order a name. I subscribe to it, and everyday I get namejet's email of list of backordered domains. It just alerts everyone to bid on the domain. Bummer.

I wonder if anyone has a list of how different backorder company works, when to place back order a domain to minimize danger of losing it.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SnapNames once sent a domain to auction where I was the only bidder.

Namejet Reserve is the reserve set by the private seller of the domain. NJR will place bids until the reserve has been met.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So wait, when the domain is released, and if NameJet gets it, does it give it to the highest bidder? I was assuming that it would then start an auction. But it sounds more like the auction is finished at that point, and the name goes to whoever had the highest bid.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First of all, there are two different scenarios.
Depending on whether the domain is in 'prerelease' or in pending-delete status, the options are not the same.

A domain in prerelease status will only be available from one venue (typically SN or NJ), provided the sponsoring registrar has such agreements in place for its expiring domains.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about Namejet. But I'm not sure I understand. Why do you have to put in the bid with only three seconds to spare? You're saying the three seconds has to do with Register.com bidding on their own names?

I already put in the backorder with NameJet with the minimum bid. Says there are "1" bidders. (Me I guess.) So that is not good? What should I do now?

As Acro said...you want to avoid broadcasting that you want the name...as there are many who automatically bid in an auction if they see there is a bid. Basically, you do all the work in finding the hidden gem...you bid on it - in effect announcing to the world to bid on the domain you found...then the lazy domainer gets in on it, forcing an auction and they will decide to take it or not from you...this will not cost them anything as you have priority as you put in the first bid.

And what I meant about Register.com is that they are able to enter into an auction on an expired name from their registry under the userhandle "NameJetReserve" and then bid up their expired auction at any point they want to. I stay away from any name from register.com if I can....I may have a better chance at getting the name on a drop.

Namejet Reserve is the reserve set by the private seller of the domain. NJR will place bids until the reserve has been met.

I am well acquainted with NameJet's process. Yes, NameJetReserve can be used as you mentioned, but it has a larger reach than you think. I have been in auctions where I was winning the auction going into the last day and then NameJetReserve outbids me on the last day....so it was really shill bidding IMO...not automatically bidding until a reserve is met...this specifically happens with register.com names.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The domain I'm interested in is "pending delete". I have deleted my bid with NameJet, I hope that helps. I will have to re-place my bid before I go to work in the morning. (Or, since I can't put in my bid 3 seconds before release, should I just forget about NameJet completely and put my hopes in Pool and Snapnames?)

Does a bid at SnapNames not announce your interest to the world, in the same way that NameJet scr*ws you?

Any other tips?

Thanks to everyone who has added a comment.

Last edited:

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the domain listed on their backorder list? If it's not then you can place a backorder on it.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Search the domain you want to backorder on Snapnames.com and see if it shows up on their list with an Order By date. If it shows up in the search then you should wait until few minutes before the deadline date and time to make the bid. If it doesn't show up in the search then you can just put it on backorder and others won't see your bid on it.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does Pool respect secrecy more than the other two? If I'm not available to put in a bid a minute before time, should I just stick with Pool and hope for the best?

Now that I've deleted my bids with the other two, do you think that will help to protect secrecy?

Thanks.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pool sends a list of top deleting domains (presumably based on the number of backorders) by E-mail every day.
But it is for the next day.
Just don't place the backorder early.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The only question I really, really need to have answered: With Pool, I know that if I am the only bidder, I immediately get the name; no auction. Is the same true with SnapNames and NameJet, or do they start an auction even if I am the only bidder?

Thank you!!!

Eifwen

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Snapnames is same as pool.

Last edited:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only question I really, really need to have answered: With Pool, I know that if I am the only bidder, I immediately get the name; no auction. Is the same true with SnapNames and NameJet, or do they start an auction even if I am the only bidder?

Thank you!!!

Yes.
But some register.com names at NJ can be an exception as mentioned above.

Last edited:

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments!

Poker, are you saying, "Yes, NameJet will start an auction even if I am the only bidder"? But Pool and SnapNames are safe in the sense they will award me the name if I am the only bidder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom