Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain history

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatfan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi !

Just in case You didnt now this yet, you can track the history of a domain if you go to www.archive.org .... This is an Internet archive and You can see how Your domain was used before You picked it up (that is if domain was registered before You picked it up....)

Enjoy ! :D

Domain summit 2024

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea great tool to go back to sites that have closed down.
And steal there designs.

hahahaha

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MC Juice
Yea great tool to go back to sites that have closed down.
And steal there designs.

hahahaha

hey, I never thought of that. Great idea. Like picking the watches off dead corpses :D

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to obtain the whois information for all the owners during the history of a domain. Say for instance if there were two previous owners of a domain before me? That would be phat and very useful if so.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, why would you find that useful? :shy:

How would it help a sale?

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about it helping a sale. Let's say "theoretically" you bought an expired domain name in good faith. Now let's pretend guy X calls you up and says my client want the domain back and gives you a pity story. Well how are you supposed to know this person is telling you the truth about owning a previous domain? Get my drift?

Now let's complicate the situation and ask what if this person Guy X, in fact, did not represent the person, but was only using the fact that someone used it previously to his advantage in a pity story. Now let's say I did some homework and found the person had abandonded any use of it well over a year and a half ago or never had any proven use of goods and services.

Therefore I'd have to know who the last owners of the domain were. For all I know Guy X owned it before the original person did. Or maybe he never owned it at all and simply wanted to dupe me into thinking that and transfering him the domain.

See the potential "social engineering" scam you could pull on people really easy who grab a domain that was previously used.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy,

Thanks for highlighting this. I think its up to the sobber to provide the evidence to you of past ownership. He should be doing the homework, not you.

Whois data can change very frequently. Specifically, I use eNom and I could with the user interphase completely change ownership details of any one of my names every 24hrs.

I doubt that past ownership based on whois is reliable. It is a start though.

Sometimes when moling on the background of specific domains, I use google. You'ld be surprised at the kind of things that can pop up.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
because it can tell you all kinds of information.

Some guys were trying to sell me a name the other day saying they'd never had time to develop it. I checked the archive and the truth was they'd developed it like crazy; it had just tanked. And nothing motivates someone to sell cheaper than a failure, dreams shattered, etc...so the price I offered went straight down :eek: :confused: :dead: :laugh:

QualityDomains

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Talking about history, does anyone know the first ever (or first few) domain name registered? It would be interesting if any registered poor ones when they had a chance to get a Quality Domain.

Eric

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the first domain ever registered was think.com in 1985.

I think the first .com regsitered was symbolics.com, it did find timeline of the first few names a couple of months ago.

G

gbrott

I don't know the first one, but I remember in 1996 learning about the whole domain thing while in college and saying "i'm sure all the good names are taken". 2 years later i decide to get into the game, registering plenty of good ones - if only...!

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where is the history of the internet to be found, i mean the whole story.

From the US Govt to the Universities, to commercial use of the .com.

I know that i should research it myself, but i'm to lazy.

Thx.net ... in advance for the info that will follow.

e.com .... Q.

:)

thanks for sharing that link!
Looking at old sites like going down memory lane.

It will make for some interesting research.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember in early 2000 when I 'really' got into the domain business - all the remaining .com 2 character names had been snapped up a few *days* before can you believe before I did a manual search for ALL of them on NetSol's WHOIS (I was only starting then!).

Originally posted by gbrott
I don't know the first one, but I remember in 1996 learning about the whole domain thing while in college and saying "i'm sure all the good names are taken". 2 years later i decide to get into the game, registering plenty of good ones - if only...!

Unfortunately I too had no insight, when back in 1994 I was introduced to the Internet as a commercial commodity. As a Unix engineer I was too busy with support issues with servers and shell accounts, too busy chatting on IRC as well :D While my colleagues - the web guys - were hard trying to make me use Netscape and browse the Web. Thinking about it all, so many hot names were registered in mid 1995 that it blows my mind thinking about it.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeh but who had the $75/2yr back then to register all those names? Only broke down after I found $35/yr around 2000 and knew I was gonna miss them if i didn't buy them. A lot of times I'm thinking "what if" but you really can't predict anything.

You meant to say $100 per 2 years! Network Solutions was collecting a nice $25 fee on top of the $75 they later dropped down to.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Before a certain time, Network Solutions charged NO FEE - can you believe it NO FEE - GRATIS - NIL!!!!
It was a nonprofit organisation at the time (before Verisign and friends came along).
You could have got all the NET/COM/ORG you wanted for next to nothing - I suppose they would have wanted a small donation or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators