DomainWatch — Domain Monitoring Made Easy

• Dear DNForum.com user,

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. As we are based in Gibraltar which is part of the EU and we have customers all over the world we are obligated to follow the new regulation as of May 25, 2018.

Accordingly, although we must request full contact information from each of you so our systems and webpage may continue to function we will restrict processing and data transfers as much as possible. When logged into DNForum.com we will display only your chosen handle and no other specific information unless requested by you. In order to request your specific information be revealed please go into your account settings and check the radio boxes next to the information. By default all information is private.

To cover all aspects of GDPR we have published a new / updated agreement (which includes our terms and privacy policy) that will become effective on May 25, 2018. It may be found at: https://www.dnforum.com/help/terms/

Onward and upwards;

Best DNForum.com

Castion

Managing director of DNForum.com
Staff member
Administrator
Exclusive Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
May 9, 2006
CPH
banner
Its a nice project Benjamin but I think you have some major competition. In the paid sphere domaintools.com pretty much has 90% of the market and the same is the case in free tools where Godaddy lets you monitor unlimited names for free (AFAIK).

Probably I would try to monetize via user registration and opt in. But I am guessing you have some server bills to pay to keep the service running?

benjam1n

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 5, 2018
Croatia
Its a nice project Benjamin but I think you have some major competition. In the paid sphere domaintools.com pretty much has 90% of the market and the same is the case in free tools where Godaddy lets you monitor unlimited names for free (AFAIK).

Probably I would try to monetize via user registration and opt in. But I am guessing you have some server bills to pay to keep the service running?
Hey Castion, I think DomainTools is super expensive for what they offer, cheapest personal plans are starting from $99 month, anything more than that "starting from low four figures". But yeah, it seems like they have huge percentage of this small market. I'm not sure about what GoDaddy offers but the more I'm talking with people about this the more I see how much people don't like them coz of their spammy tactics to overcharge/upsell etc. I personally couldn't find anything where I can simply monitor my domains for reasonable price of $1-2/domain/month and my friend actually owns a company specialized in Whois APIs (whoapi.com) so that was a perfect fit. The server/api costs are not that big, even with more than 1600 users its barely $50/month.

ps. Can you see the attachment in my first post? I only see "View attachment 3081" and says I don't have permission to open it.

strugar

Gold Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 28, 2013
Montenegro
I also don't see attachment in first post, only text as you say.

As for the project, yes, it is very interesting; I have registered for free account. As you mentioned, DomainTools is superexpensive for amateurs; what I don't like at all in your project is hidden pricing; I don't see why should I contact you to get pricing for some standard plan and discover secret meaning of "interested in monitoring more than just expiration dates?", unless you plan to research each inquirer, to tailor the price based on each prospect: "Aha, this one seems to be professional domainer, let's charge him double or triple!". It's fine to have custom plans upon contact, but standard plans pricing should be available on site.

benjam1n

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 5, 2018
Croatia
I also don't see attachment in first post, only text as you say.

As for the project, yes, it is very interesting; I have registered for free account. As you mentioned, DomainTools is superexpensive for amateurs; what I don't like at all in your project is hidden pricing; I don't see why should I contact you to get pricing for some standard plan and discover secret meaning of "interested in monitoring more than just expiration dates?", unless you plan to research each inquirer, to tailor the price based on each prospect: "Aha, this one seems to be professional domainer, let's charge him double or triple!". It's fine to have custom plans upon contact, but standard plans pricing should be available on site.
Hey Strugar, thanks for checking it out! So, I had the pricing before but since the upgrade rate was super low I decided to hide it and do tailor-based pricing. I'm now getting closer to figuring out what pricing should look like so I'll be returning it soon.