Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Donny Donnie Don whats up with Parked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets hope parked are ready for the inevitable demise of Yahoo, layoffs like this can of course mean they are getting rid of the crap, however it is also a sure sign of packaging the company for a sale.

Their problem is that they want to be bigger than google, they really should concentrate more on being different.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Their problem is that they want to be bigger than google, they really should concentrate more on being different.

Agreed. Yahoo had the advantage of being a pioneer when there was little competition. Google has always been the innovator, introducing new technologies and widgets. Yahoo is trading at 1/20 their max stock price right now.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back in the Early 90s I used 2 search engines religiously and those were AltaVista and Yahoo.. however on occasions HotBot got a few visits.

Yahoo are partly responsible for my internet addiction back then.. I had spent many a day on Yahoo Chat.. I learned so much that it really shaped my affinity and career in internet companies. In fact I would go as far to say that it was the catalyst that changed my life.

I do have an affinity with the company, however I feel that the current CEO Jerry Yang just does not have the balls to make the decisions that will move yahoo forward.. its to personal for him, he needs to step aside and let someone else take control.

I have over 5000 shares in the company and I have lost only 15% of my initial investment, however I still am holding out hope for a comeback.. although unless they bring out something revolutionary I see little chance of that.

They need to rebrand and reinvent, and get out of the shadow that is Google and they better do it quick because once Microsofts Synergie gets released, I suspect that many a parking company will be wanting a piece of that feed.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets hope parked are ready for the inevitable demise of Yahoo, ...

That is why diversity is critical for domainers.
Eventhough, the ppc companies want you to consolidate your portfolio holdings with them.

Moreover, it seems when Google is paying less, Yahoo is paying more. (and vice versa.)
And, you would not know that if 100% of your domains are with one particular company.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think Yahoo's feed would "go away" if it was sold? Why would things not continue to operate as usual? ..just under a different parent company, etc.. Right?

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think Yahoo's feed would "go away" if it was sold? Why would things not continue to operate as usual? ..just under a different parent company, etc.. Right?

Yahoo is not going away.
It could be purchased or merged with another company such as MS.
And, the new company could try to determine where they could increase their profits.
Or, the board could re-align upper management and bring in someone that will drastically change the course of Y. Which, might be what is happening now.
All of this is hypothical.

Additionally, Google would not want Yahoo to go away.
G knows that the market requires a "coke vs pepsi" competitive atmosphere.

But, G doesn't mind if their competitors are weak or getting weaker compared to them.

Fortunately, one flexibility we have is the ability to re-point our domains quickly.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would depend on who had bought them.. The fact remains if Yahoo are not getting the traffic in key demographics then the advertisers will of course move elsewhere for a better ROI.

The bigger advertisers and affiliate marketers will go where the money is. The more advertisers that leave the likes of yahoo will result in a PPC bid decline; which of course would mean that we the domainers would get a lot less.

It is very difficult to speculate on the internet as it is the fastest growing and fastest failing medium the world has ever seen.

Never before can a kid in his garage change the future of many established companies overnight, we are all through the looking glass here... the marketing of products and companies are no longer done only by huge marketing departments, the success comes from Joe Bloggs in his house bidding on affiliate links.

Now its only a matter of time before domain owners realise that the piddly few cents they are making; are making $$$ for someone else just like them.

Picture the scenario:

You own PremiumLoanDomain.com
Affiliate Marketer Bids $2 on a related keyword.
Visitor Clicks on a Link at PremiumLoanDomain.com and applies for a loan.
You get $0.20c for that Click (your happy)
Parking Program Gets $0.75c minus the 0.20c they pay you for that click (They are Happy)
Feed Provider gets the $2.00 minus the $0.75c they pay the Parking Program for that click.

Everyone happy right?

Oh yeah lets not forgot that the affiliate marketer who sponsored the link gets $75.00 for that click.

Makes you wonder..

Give me a parking program that Pays on CPA at the same rate as affiliate programs then that is a parking program that I will sign up for.

Until then, I split my traffic between Google and Yahoo.. any domain that is descriptive to a niche and gets traffic is converted to an affiliate site. I can honestly tell you that the 10 sites that are affiliate sites get 1% of my total portfolio traffic and yet it makes 90% of my monthly income.

If yahoo wanted to break the mold then I wish they would include CPA..

If parking programs want to break the mold then I am happy to split $70 a conversion if they would include CPA links in the Top 2 results for descriptive domains.

chois

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TQ score is also 10. Parked is very steady. Account rep. is always responsive via e-mail. They are top notch.

My TQS was also 10 yesterday. Now it says "No Score."

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys - My laptop has some type of hardware problem and stopped working on Tuesday while I was at domainfest. No email for 3 days, oh the pain.

Did I miss anything?

Donny

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First rule of domain club...always have a back up laptop (preferably an IBM thinkpad) :eek:k:

So, how is everyone doing these last few days?

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just an update on the current TQ scores. We had a little miscommunication on what was being shown. We were showing the last score and not the current score. This has just been fixed. So we are now showing the current score on your account when you login.

Sorry about the problem.

Donny

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
anyway of knowing TQ score if # of clicks is below 100?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
anyway of knowing TQ score if # of clicks is below 100?

If your final revenue is 1/3 of the estimated figures, Yahoo thinks your traffic is not good enough.

Consumer racism at its best.

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Traffic is coming from search engines....how can that be "bad" traffic?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Traffic is coming from search engines....how can that be "bad" traffic?

Yahoo is doing some geo-hocus-pocus calculations and discriminates against traffic from sources far away from the advertiser. Imagine that a person in Greece clicks on an ad of an advertiser that designated their ad campaign as US-centric; their click would be worth less, if at all. It then normalizes the results and tags the account with a score. So what Parked does now, is grading your account for "quality" as much as Yahoo does to them.

It's the FUFME plan!

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is this true??....what if traffic is all US and Canada?....it all depends on where the advertiser is located?...and if this online user who lives in Kansas clicks on an ad where the advertiser is located in Monroe, NY...then that click is considered worthless??

iomatrix

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the scale is 1 high and 10 low, or 10 high and 1 low?

ioMatrix

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex - Sorry you are so far off that it's not even funny. First, Yahoo doesn't like anybody from Greece (they discriminate) and they reject their traffic and we send it to our secondary provider. But let's say they do like you and you are from Hong Kong, the only ads you will see are from Hong Kong, so all of the advertisers are local.

iomatrix - 10 is the best.

Donny

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators