Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Don't Attack Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The U.S. is not going to war for oil

The U.S. is going to war because in my opinion:

Containment has not worked. The problem with the containment strategy is that the United States and Britain are the only ones willing to contain the threat. Other countries have done nothing but try to get rid of the sanctions and containment policies and managed to dwindle them to practically nothing until the U.S. recently got serious and forced the issue. Also the containment strategy hurts the Iraqi people since they will be stuck with Saddam. War could be devastating to them IF things go wrong, but this is their last chance at getting rid of Saddam once and for all and the amount of civilian casualties would surely be less than
the number of people who would die by the hands of Sadda, Hussein if he is not overthrown. Iraq is after all, the only government which has rapists on the payroll.

Beatz: The people sueing will not win. People have tried this in every modern war the U.S. has fought(and always lose). None were "declared" wars. The reason the U.S. does not formally declare war is due to a legal ramification with regard to insurance policies. Some insurance policies will not pay out to victims if the damage is a result of a war in which the U.S. has made a formal declaration. The congress already approved military action in the case of Iraq.

I support war to overthrow Saddam since I believe there will be minimal civilian casualties. I believe this because by drawing the process out diplomatically and using crazy rhetoric, Bush has forced concession after concession from Saddam, while slowly tightening the noose.

See "Bush and the Art of Rope-a-Dope "
http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=B3396616-4836-4C4C-9863-A6762CE7DCCC

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
National Post is well known for its right-wing bias and is therefore rarely taken as seriously.
...by left wing radicals.

Just wanted to finish that sentence for you NS :D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Larry
...by left wing radicals.

Just wanted to finish that sentence for you NS :D
Man, you never miss a chance! LOL! :D :laugh:

I consider myself a left-of-centre moderate though.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Diplomacy is a beautiful thing when it is used with respect in the international community.

Tonight's Grammys may be interesting and could be where music begins to make it's presence known:

http://www.drudgereport.com/cbs.htm

If you love this country and still believe in the values of freedom held within the constitution, this may be of interest to you:

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=11835&c=206

Read anything else, listen to Rush Limbo, then balance your perspective. Right or Left is irrellevant. Justice is best served with an informed people:
www.antiwar.com

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It took Saddam 30 years to terrify his people - now they are more terrified of Americans. Congrats America - you got them pissing in their pants of fear of you! Few of Saddam's torture experts could do that.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks think for those two articles.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found them interesting Fizz.

The cable companies are blocking antiwar TV ads. Sometimes you can't even buy free speech:

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=37202

Has anyone saw television coverage of the many antiwar protests where they actually covered what the speakers were saying rather than showing a picture of a lot of people and quoting an attendance estimate?

Think

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right or wrong?
Manna Jo Greene believes she is acting in the best interest of peace and her country by using herself as a human shield against American bombs in Iraq. Do you believe she has a right and a duty to protest, or do you feel her actions are un-American? Contact staff writer Paul Brooks at [email protected] and give us your opinion

Full Story Here:
Pacifist hopes human shield will halt US march to war
January 04, 2003 Pacifist hopes human shield will halt US march to war By Paul Brooks
and Deborah Medenbach Times Herald-Record [email protected] dmedenbach ...
www.recordonline.com/archive/2003/01/04/pbdmshie.htm - 31k -

Just my feeble opinion, is that this group is carrying their anti-war sentiments a bit too far. We all have opinions.. but why would anyone get in the line of fire if they didn't have too? Insanity in my opinion.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From 1983-1985 about 30,000 Americans, Europeans, and South American citizens Went to Nicaragua. We went as ordinary people to "witness" the Contra war and show our solidarity (that we cared about their human suffering) with the people of Nicaragua.

For 50 years the Somoza family ruled the country as a right wing dictatorship with the US Governments blessing. Over 20,000 people died in the Sandinista overthrow of this regime in 1979. Anastasio Somoza ordered the capital city of Managua bombed as he fled the country.

I believe our presence influenced decisions not to send US troops into the conflict. I also believe our presence strengthened the belief of democracy for the Nicaraguan people and the members of the Sandinista political party. The Sandinistas relinquished power after losing elections to a moderate political party.

Most Americans might not have even been aware of our being Nicaragua. Even fewer probably remember the peaceful ending to this violent struggle by elections rather than prolonged warfare.

When I was in Nicaragua I got to see first hand what was going on rather than just releying on the general mass media. I even thought the Nicaraguans were being too restrictive of my movement (looking back,we were in a war zone)and snuck away from our group to go where ever I wanted. Ironically the next day the group leaders gave us all kinds of information for finding my way around Managua.
I had to walk over 20 miles when I could have rode the bus :)

Sorry for the long wind bagged commentary.

I hope even if you disagree with a person going to Iraq to be at the hospitals, churches, schools etc during this war that you might see this as a great act to show the world the power of free speech and the apitomy of democracy.

The greatest wars never happen.
Think

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Think"

Thankyou for your post, I enjoyed the read. I am not against humanitarian assistance.. and I believe war is ugly.. and I agree that innocent's are killed..
Yet, when we look at the big picture of this ruthless leader, and the way he treats his own people with fear and oppression.. and the sanctions are brought on in reaction to his actions and failure to comply.. and the bioWarFare he's already unleased on the Kuwait peoples.. (which is a pity) then, I have to stand in the line of war, only if it means we can put an end too this regime and restore "good things" to the people of the Iraq land.

No, I am not for killing of the innocent civilians.. and yes I realize that with 'war".. it does happen.. unfortunately.. and I believe Saddam harbors terrorists.. that's been proven.. and America has been innocently hit on 9-11 and our president clearly stated that the US would go after the "terrorists" and those who harbor "terrorists"

If we stand back and do nothing.. it'll only get worse..

Talk "measures" have been initiated many times, with no results..

Iraq has no respect for the UN resolutions.. so thus..

What do you think their plans are? Too offer good will for all? I think NOT.. I think he has only evil ideas clouding his mind..

America has openly discussed the threat of war, and there are border/regional relief stations in place, to protect the innocent. Hopefully they will take shelter.

America if they attack, would not be acting out as a "thief in the night".. there has been adequate fair warning.. and if Saddam cares not about his own peoples, then he can be the root of the blame for any innocent lives lost.

Nobody likes war.. but sometimes "We gain from things that we loose"

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm ... something sonehow reminds me of the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia that put an end to Dubcek's Prague's Spring.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have spoken the truth.. i am finished with this thread.

i enourage all posters too " take it all in "

GoodDay
msMay

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand why some people in the White House (or even some in the Pentagon) would think that they are able to OCCUPY Iraq militarily. Unlike Afghanistan, Iraq is a relatively developed country.

And they are talking about taking Baghdad first in order to overthrow Saddam Hussein. God, Baghdad is a CROWDED metropolis with some 5 MILLION people! How are you going to take control of that with sheer military power without a substantial local pro-American opposition party?

And as Dan Rather said on CNN the other night: there gonna be HUGE casualty this time, mostly on the part of Iraqi civilians. Of course, the Bush Administration and their patriotic supporters wouldn't care less of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators