Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dotster lock service

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
June 20, 2002 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- Domain name registrar Dotster Inc. (Dotster.com) announced on Wednesday that it has launched two new services, TransferLock and NameSafe, designed to help customers protect their domain names.

Both services, says Dotster, enhance the security of a domain name by requiring authorization from its owner before critical functions can be performed.

TransferLock is a free service that allows users to place domain names on lock with the global registry in order to prevent unauthorized transfers from Dotster. Locked domains can not be transferred unless the owner first unlocks it from within their account.

For $10 per year, the NameSafe service prevents changes to account ownership information, name server information and contact information, as well as transfers and moving domains between accounts.

"Domain names and their associated Web sites usually represent a significant investment of time, money and branding for businesses and individuals," says Clint Page, Dotster president. "Unfortunately, cases of domain hijacking and deceptive marketing practices by other registrars have been proliferating over the last several months, and customers have been misled into transferring their domain names to other registrars or individuals. TransferLock and NameSafe provide our customers a way to safeguard their domain name investments from these types of unauthorized transfers and changes."

Any good :confused:

Domain summit 2024

enom also has a similar feature to "transfer lock". Both new features sound like good options to add imo.

OpenSRS offers this as well - all the resellers I know offer this for no additional charge.

-t

flex

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
charging extras for domain locking really turns me off. :eek:

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mole,

Its free with enom. Don't you use them already?
Enom Rules!
:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to lock my .info and .biz names on eNom like I can for .com/.net/.org, Domain :cry:

I emailed them and they said something like it was not necessary, like these names were naturally locked or something. May have something to do with the transfer key needed (EPP transfer)?

skylark

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to lock my .info and .biz names on eNom like I can for .com/.net/.org, Domain
--------------------------------------------------------------
Mole, I don't know about .biz but a number of months ago I attempted to get a registrar lock on a dot info.
DomainDiscount24 told me they contacted afilias and were told that a REGISTRAR-level lock was not yet available - but would be available in the future. They said until afilias set up the coding option needed for a registrar-level lock that afilias recommended that they offer me a "client" lock (which I have on some names).
That was some months ago, registrar lock may now be available. (And you've reminded me of this matter - I'll be checking on it myself).
Skylark

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey skylark,

Let me know yah? Mine still doesn't work on eNOM. Thanks :)

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
grrr domains make me horny
:) :) :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: :confused:

skylark

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Hey skylark,

Let me know yah? Mine still doesn't work on eNOM. Thanks :)

"Afilias names the "Registrar Lock" a "Client Lock". Both have absolutely the same effect, just other names. :eek:)
I can activate these LOCKS for all or a list of your domain names but this may also result in the fact that you will not be able to modify the nameservers /whois records for these domainnames (whois in the case of .BIZ/.INFO)."

Skylark

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom