Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dropped out of College to Domain instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just dropped out of college to get into domaining.

Ouch! I really wish you posted before dropping out. Domaining is just like any other entrepreneurial position: you have your good months, your bad months and something awful in between. While staying in college won't improve your cash flow, a good job rewarded from your college degree would.

You mentioned something about doing online college. I would encourage you to try. Although be warned, it's actually harder than it seems. I did almost a year of online college and you basically have to teach yourself, lots of reading, no immediate hand-raising answers to questions and less online free time.

HOWEVER, I can't promise that college is for everyone. Only, only, only if you believe college is a waste of time (for the field you want to pursue) I would encourage you to find some type of cash flow for the first couple years of domaining. Either way, you still need some type of cash flow.

Welcome and good luck.

Tia Wood

tiptop

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Go back to college, all while indulging in domains.
2. Stay away from .tv domains
3. Make some money to have a good starter capital for domaining

Buddy you got very good advices here, use it (while it's free)

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

Lots of good advice in the postings above.....

and here is one more ... "Don't Drink and Domain" LOL

Good Luck

:yo:

Michael

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you think .tv is going to pay the rent you should probably stay in school :)

Either way, good luck!

Busynic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice, but the most prevalent is "Stay in College"

Why? Because one year now is worth 20 later on. Don't be a person that "would have, could have or should have."

If you are 110% motivated and not easily side-tracked then sure - try the "night deal" or the "correspondence deal" or any other lame excuse for not finishing it now.

You can't see where its leading - right now..... then there is only one way to find out. Finish it and then create your own future. Domain on the side, but don't give up the tangible for the intangible. I can guarantee at some point in your life you will wonder "what if."

my 2 cents for today.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
depends on the college~

Last edited:

Domainator

DotAgent
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My two "coppers' are as follows...

Acroplex hit the nail on head...

Get your degree and do it at a recognized college (online degrees are not as powerful as a college degree that you attended for 4 years). There you would have gotten the social circle and the connections for future opportunities -- I work for a fortune 500 company (more like a fortune 5 company), and your college background today is as important as ever especially if you are in you very early twenties. I know I hire 20 somethings....

Next, you better have some capitol and patience in domaining (dropping out says you have little patience and could not or would not re-direct yourself towards a more interesting field of study, that would pay off later in life).

Why in the world would you pick .TV out of the starting gate???? Buy 1 or 2 good .com names at a time and learn the ropes 1st.

Not trying to be negative, but I feel you may not only be on the wrong foot but maybe in the wrong shoes.

Think this through fully before you decide a direction on any of this. I wish you the most success.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice, but the most prevalent is "Stay in College"

Why? Because one year now is worth 20 later on. Don't be a person that "would have, could have or should have."

Take it from me, now, in my mid 30s, no money and no time to go back to school, do I wish I continued on after my two associates degrees and get batchleors degrees, maybe even masters.

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, don't take this the wrong way, but making drastic decisions like this is a very big sign of depression. Consider talking to someone if you feel this may be true.

I think your questions have pretty much been answered, but I'd like to second that investing in speculation might not be the smartest move right now. Come up with a long term plan and a short term plan. For example, try to flip 10 two word .com's for 10% profit each month for the next year, all while using the profits to buy a few medium quality investments. Since you're going to have a lot of free time now, set aside some time to pour through the droplists and read through sales reports to get a feel for what's selling.

Lastly, don't domain on your parents' dime if they still think they're paying for college! :)

Good luck!

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My advice would be go back to school while working on domains. I am not doing that bad with domains but I am still doing an MBA because I need a safety net in the future.

andrewdomainer

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One of the mistakes I made (and most noobs make) is buying a whole lot of domains cheap, either from drops or hand regging because you do not want to spend a lot of money on a name...

I was probably heading down that route. Recently, I bought some expired lllll.com's - thinking lllll.com may be the next rush - but currently my purchases may only be worth reg fee.

For example, I'm auctioning one lllll.com (ByKid.com), and it's only been bid up to $2 (see here) even though the action ends at 3pm today.

Do you think it's too early to make money on non-premium lllll.com's?

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You can't buy a reg fee name and expect to sell it the next day for more money.
This isn't just some business where people have money to throw away. You need to go back to school and get an education. Wasting money in something you are unfamiliar with is a very bad idea.

Hope you make the right decision.

kylewill

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best domainers who weren't in on it early are those who have side businesses for income, and rely on domaining as an investment or hobby.

Be careful relying on domaining as a source of revenue and investment (at the same time)...

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was probably heading down that route. Recently, I bought some expired lllll.com's - thinking lllll.com may be the next rush - but currently my purchases may only be worth reg fee.

For example, I'm auctioning one lllll.com (ByKid.com), and it's only been bid up to $2 (see here) even though the action ends at 3pm today.

Do you think it's too early to make money on non-premium lllll.com's?

Thanks,

Andrew

Generally speaking non-premium lllll.com's are many years away from paying off, imho...

The domain you mentioned has a nice ring and could be a good brandable for a kid's store, but it usually takes time to find the right end user and the likelihood of a name like that paying off in a big way is probably slim...

When I buy names that have dropped I am usually looking for something I like that has some history, in hopes of it earning me back the $ I spent on it in a few months through parking... Most times it is a roll of the dice, though, so that is why it is probably smart to stick to domaining as a "hobby" until you actually have some real capital to invest in quality, money earning names...

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As someone who went to college for the first time at 50 (I couldn't afford it earlier), I also would advise getting your degree. However, I think you should consider that it might not be college you want to give up so much as your course. Perhaps it just doesn't suit you? If this is the case, could you change to one you are more passionate about? It doesn't matter what others think, it's important that the course is the right one for you. :)

dtrader

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I myself have delayed law school, to see what I can do on my own (splitting my time primarily between stock investing, reselling, and now domaining). I feel a little bit of security, knowing that I have at least my undergraduate degrees behind me, but I'm still always concerned about the time I'm losing. In my opinion, you only really have until your mid 20s, to be aggressive with your employment situation. After that, most people have too many responsibilities (mortgage, marriage, kids, elder parents, etc) to push the envelope, and risk losing security by asking for raises, switching companies etc. Hopefully we both can reach our goals and make the risks worth it :)

MainstreamDomains

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Uhmm Im gunna have to say post secondary eduction is not for everyone - other than the social/party aspect I wish I saved myself the student loan debt load i had to bear after college, never went and focused on my Internet Ventures more - 4 years wasted for me since I am not and will never do anything remotely associated with politics, but seemed like a sefe road to law school at the time. Now I prefer to know Im a good personal than comprimise my belief simply to win a case... ewwww!

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go back to college buddy, you don't need to work full time to make a living from domains. I am studying in a very time consuming university and I still have time for domains and I am not doing bad either

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom