Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

**ESPN markets ESPN.mobi on ESPN.com**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The extension is a year old - why do you persist in still posting this stuff?

Every week I find another major corporation using a .ca domain - the same can be said of .de, .es, .nu etc etc etc - you don't see fans of these extensions constantly pumping out these threads announcing them.

Ford and Mazda are both doing major promotions this week on tv, via newspapers and radio using ford.ca and mazda.ca - maybe I should make a thread and announce how "the best is yet to come" etc etc etc.

Sorry but it's getting rather tiring. Somebody has to say it!

Okay - flame away mobi fans.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Every week I find another major corporation using a .ca domain - the same can be said of .de, .es, .nu etc etc etc - you don't see fans of these extensions constantly pumping out these threads announcing them.

Ford and Mazda are both doing major promotions this week on tv, via newspapers and radio using ford.ca and mazda.ca - maybe I should make a thread and announce how "the best is yet to come" etc etc etc.

Sorry but it's getting rather tiring. Somebody has to say it!

Okay - flame away mobi fans.

Crybaby WhiteBark,

Go start equally voluminous positive threads about .ca or .de.....you can't.

We, dotMobi developers and investors, post positive dotMOBI news for 2 reasons:

First, this is a dotMobi subforum, hence we discuss dotMobi news and events with respect to the dotMobi namespace.

WhiteBark, this aint a .ca subforum. If you don't like what you read here at the dotMobi subforum then change the channel, go play, piss and pound the sand elsewhere.

Heck, .ca is 20 years old and has perfomed worse than Britney Spears at the MTV Music Awards....but, hey I encourage you to go post about the .ca extension...and you surely won't find me wasting my time at the .ca subforum pissing, moaning about and crapping on your .ca news threads

Secondly, I post because I know that good dotMobi news really bothers you and like-minded naysayers.
In less than 12 months DotMobi is emerging as one of the most successful domain extensions.....and that eats at the MobiPhobics.

Michael
P.S. Per WhiteBark, go check out the beautiful, the lovely ESPN.ca :blush:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me in the least it just shows you must constantly hype the domain to keep it from sinking.

.ca speaks for itself - many of the largest and most successful domain holders in the world reside in Canada and guess what Michele they own .ca's - including the owner of this forum! But expecting you to know anything about .ca is obvously expecting far too much. But I'm sure you come up with some new lame reply trying to put me and .ca down - probably about the $ amounts and volumes of .ca's sold etc etc. But when you don't know jack about .ca like you, you wouldn't know the vast amount of .ca's bought and sold are never reported. We don't need to hype our own extension every day - it stands by itself.

And what did I just hear on the radio playing in the office - an ad for Dell - "Visit Dell.ca for more information" Maybe I should make a thread now - "The best is yet to come!" "Dell is advertising their .ca" "You naysayers better watch out you are all jealous"...

Are you still going to be posting X Company is using .mobi next year too?

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me in the least it just shows you must constantly hype the domain to keep it from sinking.

I'm reporting dotMobi news and opining about it. If positive news bothers you, then change the channel.

.ca speaks for itself - many of the largest and most successful domain holders in the world reside in Canada and guess what Michele they own .ca's - including the owner of this forum!

Great! I congratulate and wish them all well on their .ca investments.
Bark, guess what? I don't troll around and piss on their .ca threads

And what did I just hear on the radio playing in the office - an ad for Dell - "Visit Dell.ca for more information" Maybe I should make a thread now - "The best is yet to come!" "Dell is advertising their .ca" "You naysayers better watch out you are all jealous"...

Fantastic! I'll write the news headline for you.... "Dell.ca broadcasted via radio throughout my land, O Canada!!"

Go post it...and you know what? I'm not going to waste my time and whine like a baby about Dell's adoption of the .ca extension.

Are you still going to be posting X Company is using .mobi next year too?
You betcha! As long as the naysayers and dotMobi smear merchants keep trolling the waters....

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The hype is apparently coming from everyone's insistence on the failure and the demise of this extension while the news keeps coming out about more major companies going mainstream with their .mobi and mobile presense;

Such as this additional news released today:
AdMob Hired by ESPN’s Cricinfo
http://mobilecrunch.com/2007/09/12/admob-hired-by-espn’s-cricinfo/

Excerpts:

ESPN’s Cricinfo, the world’s largest cricket content source, has hired the mobile advertising network AdMob to turn its Internet traffic into gold. Unlike the unsuccessful attempts by alchemists of old to make gold out of base metals, AdMob has a proven track record of turning Internet traffic into advertising money.

If ESPN’s Cricinfo is able to show good revenue numbers from its partnership with AdMob, in the future other global sporting events may follow ESPN’s lead. Updated mobile information on events like World Cup Soccer and the Olympics could create a potential for advertising revenue that is both global in reach and local in specificity.
---------------------------
It is quite obvious we are beginning to see a trend here. It should also be quite obvious that whether I like .mobi or whether you (as in anyone) does not like .mobi, these companies could care less about what any of us think and have never heard of this forum.

That trend we are witnessing and being part of is major corporations' awareness, acceptance, and the realization of the mobile web's ability to reach the consumer no matter where that consumer is.

Plus a shift of advertising dollars to the mobile sector.

This is a formula for success.

Now, I am not sure who does or does not want to follow this news. But that is obviously why there is a subsection called .mobi. Many of us who have invested in mobi wants to follow this news.

After all, it is news that affects and impacts all of us, not just the .mobi crowd. Why anyone does not want to explore this new opportunity is beyond me.

So you don't want .mobi domains. But lets say you are a programmer. The other night I posted a thread on the need for developers of dot mobi compliant sites worldwide as well as the shortage and mucho dollars (pounds, euros) that these folks are making.

Somehow, someway, I think more and more people will want to get into this.

Have it your way. It will fail. You win.

But in the meantime there are tons of people out there that want to get into it and want to advertise and want sites. So take advantage of those losers...take their money.

How difficult is that to comprehend?

(by the way, sarcasm)

-----------------------
I am at work but pretend I am here.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

They have a invested interest and they need to, that's why.

Q: Who buys mobis?
A: Resellers/Speculators

Q: Where do they try to sell them?
A: Forums like these

Pumping the .mobi TLD is like Pumping a movie that has already received negative reviews and low ticket sales, and now the .mobi registry is having a fire sale,

We are happy to inform you that we have further slashed down .MOBI registration pricing to $8.49 !! You can continue to avail of this amazing pricing along with a FREE .MOBI Site Builder with every domain, till 31st December, 2007. Also, from 10th September, 2007, .MOBI Renewals and Transfers will be priced at $16.49.

We have a lot more promotions lined up for you for the next few months. Stay tuned for more!

Best Regards,

Team Answerable
[email protected]
Answerable.com

scandiman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They have a invested interest and they need to, that's why.

Q: Who buys mobis?
A: Resellers/Speculators
Where do you get your information? I've purchased lots of .mobi's, 90%+ slated for development. What is tiring is being labeled a speculator who is hyping something for sale when in fact I am buying far more than I am selling.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you wouldn't know the vast amount of .ca's bought and sold are never reported.

why, what makes the .ca extension so special?

or when you say 'bought' do you mean all those you've been getting in drops? i see they are listed for sale at both sedo and afternic.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I guess that is a bad thing that Ford and Mazda are using .ca?

Does this mean the end of dot com?

Will .net be soon to follow?

Or does this indicate major corporations marketing to a chosen audience and demographic?

Do you see any difference in targeting a mobile audience? Do you see any parallels in why companies chose to advertise in a particular medium and using a particular extension?

Do you think major corporations are so inept that they just take them all for the sake of taking them? Is this getting back to the brand or name protection theorists? Do you think Ford in Germany uses dot com? .de?

The same arguments for and against any of these is a mute point. Hot damn, someone is using a .mobi. Hot damn, someone is using a .com. Hot damn, someone used a .org.

Yesterday I posted a thread about spotting a .ca in NC and it's like no big deal. It was a big deal to me. I had never seen an advert for a .ca in this region.

Pretty soon .mobi will be no big deal. I've seen em all before.
-----------------------
pretend I am here

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your information? I've purchased lots of .mobi's, 90%+ slated for development. What is tiring is being labeled a speculator who is hyping something for sale when in fact I am buying far more than I am selling.

Consider yourself the exception then.

Take a look at this list of threads, if this is not hype, I dont know what is.

http://www.dnforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=408

Over 20 threads started by Vision in less than 2 months.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anyhow, you naysayers did a good job derailing this thread, but back on topic.

it is good news, first they said 'only domainers are regging them', then they said it's only 'brand protection', then they said 'it's only a redirect', then they said 'they're not marketing them' - now what?

thanks for the info vis

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I appreciate the info he posts regarding .mobi. I do not have time to scan the web for this stuff.

Are you not a .mobi fan? If not, why do you visit the .mobi forum?
This is not a flame-starter, just an actual, honest question. I am not interested in .in, so I do not frequent the .in forums. I am curious as to why anyone who is not interested in .mobi would visit this forum. :?:

scandiman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

People with an interest in mobi posting information about mobi in a mobi subforum is not hype, it's called contributing.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Are you not a .mobi fan? If not, why do you visit the .mobi forum? This is not a flame-starter, just an actual, honest question. I am not interested in .in, so I do not frequent the .in forums. I am curious as to why anyone who is not interested in .mobi would visit this forum. :?:

If your asking if I own any mobi's, the answer is "Yes", I own two. Am I a Mobi fan? NO, Do I think it's as great as all of you make it out to be? NO.

I visit many threads here, and I'm interested in many things, including companies like Amazon, Disney and ESPN, all of which I'm a paying customer. So when you ask the question "Why do I visit?", I hope all of the above can shed some light to the reasons why.

I dont feel I have to explain myself to anyone, but you asked in a nice way, so I answered. ;)

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your asking if I own any mobi's, the answer is "Yes", I own two. Am I a Mobi fan? NO, Do I think it's as great as all of you make it out to be? NO.

I visit many threads here, and I'm interested in many things, including companies like Amazon, Disney and ESPN, all of which I'm a paying customer. So when you ask the question "Why do I visit?", I hope all of the above can shed some light to the reasons why.

I dont feel I have to explain myself to anyone, but you asked in a nice way, so I answered. ;)

OK. I see. You are interested in .mobi, but only a small bit with 2 names. Either way.. win or lose, you are fine with it. I get that. :)

I guess, for those of us who are moderately concerned with .mobi.. and have invested a good bit more, it is much more important for us to follow the news and advances of this extension. I am sure you would feel the same way had you invested more in .mobi.

Its not unlike the hassles we all went thru when .com first started out. I got the looks of disbelief from my family and friends when I told them I was going to pay $70 for a word that only existed in cyberspace. They thought I was crazy.

All of us.. investing in any extension in any domain.. we are speculating and gambling on what we think will happen. Just as much as some one who buys 1000 shares of stock in a start-up; they want to see whats going on. We are watching, because we have invested in this.

If the posts on current news and .mobi advances or fallbacks are not important to some posters here at DNF, I do not understand why they frequent this part of the forum. You are invested.. even if only a small amount. You have some glimmer of hope in the extension or you would not have bought any.

If we use my example of a person who bought into a new company (lets imagine its one of the more vocal anti-mobi members) .. and this company had a blog or a forum, would it be proper or constructive in any way for some one who didn't buy the stock to come in and try to trample his or her excitement? To post negative statements when something positive happened within the company, or some good marketing had been found? That is how most of the .mobi enthusiasts feel. We are trying to remain positive and excited about something we believe in and some one keeps raining on our parade so-to-speak. It just does not do anyone any good. What is said in here will not make or break .mobi in any way. As many members as this place has, its not a fraction of the people who matter in this case. So.. why do they continue? Do you know?

I am sure you understand exactly what I am trying to convey here. I mean no disrespect to anyone and I do not intend to start a flame war. I am simply trying to understand why it makes some people so crazy to see us enjoy some good news about something we believe in... when they have absolutely no interest in weather it succeeds or fails.

BTW.. you are not who I am speaking 'of' in this example. You are just some one I am speaking 'to' about it :)

Mej

PS- Thanks for answering my post above.. I did't mean to ask you to explain yourself, really. I was just curious. Now I know lol

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok. We get this.

some people like strawberry ice cream and others like chocolate ice cream.

these types of threads are boring some of us.

Some of us would like to know about the news of domains. not just .mobi but others. I dont want to waste my time looking at "i like/dont like _____". We understand. we know who you are and know you like or dont like. but dont start making long threads that are just going no where.

This is really getting old.

Cant we all just be friends and get a long? :cheesy:

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey :)

Nice to see you here lol

I am having a nice conversation with Raider. She seems to be very level-headed lol. I am not too concerned about getting my head snapped off ;)

Do you own mobiledesigner.mobi? Did you get the .com too? I ask because the names I really want to keep for a while , I got the .com and .mobi versions.

OK.. so it is getting late. I see the .com in your sig.
So, then.. the question is.. do you have the .mobi? lol

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK. I see. You are interested in .mobi, but only a small bit with 2 names. Either way.. win or lose, you are fine with it. I get that. :)

I guess, for those of us who are moderately concerned with .mobi.. and have invested a good bit more, it is much more important for us to follow the news and advances of this extension. I am sure you would feel the same way had you invested more in .mobi.

Its not unlike the hassles we all went thru when .com first started out. I got the looks of disbelief from my family and friends when I told them I was going to pay $70 for a word that only existed in cyberspace. They thought I was crazy.

All of us.. investing in any extension in any domain.. we are speculating and gambling on what we think will happen. Just as much as some one who buys 1000 shares of stock in a start-up; they want to see whats going on. We are watching, because we have invested in this.

If the posts on current news and .mobi advances or fallbacks are not important to some posters here at DNF, I do not understand why they frequent this part of the forum. You are invested.. even if only a small amount. You have some glimmer of hope in the extension or you would not have bought any.

If we use my example of a person who bought into a new company (lets imagine its one of the more vocal anti-mobi members) .. and this company had a blog or a forum, would it be proper or constructive in any way for some one who didn't buy the stock to come in and try to trample his or her excitement? To post negative statements when something positive happened within the company, or some good marketing had been found? That is how most of the .mobi enthusiasts feel. We are trying to remain positive and excited about something we believe in and some one keeps raining on our parade so-to-speak. It just does not do anyone any good. What is said in here will not make or break .mobi in any way. As many members as this place has, its not a fraction of the people who matter in this case. So.. why do they continue? Do you know?

I am sure you understand exactly what I am trying to convey here. I mean no disrespect to anyone and I do not intend to start a flame war. I am simply trying to understand why it makes some people so crazy to see us enjoy some good news about something we believe in... when they have absolutely no interest in weather it succeeds or fails.

BTW.. you are not who I am speaking 'of' in this example. You are just some one I am speaking 'to' about it :)

Mej

PS- Thanks for answering my post above.. I did't mean to ask you to explain yourself, really. I was just curious. Now I know lol

Well stated Mej.

Did you see that Games.mobi is on Sedo Auction with 4 days left and it's already at $101,000....

http://www.sedo.com/search/searchresult.php4?auctionevent=dotmobi&language=us

Michael

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WOW.. last I saw it was 52k I think.

Fantastic!

I think I have some gameforum names.. gonna hold and maybe dev those lol.

Thanks for the update :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom