Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Ex-Torrent Tracker, currently parked making ad revenue - What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F5Domains

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I usually try and keep the stuff I do pretty quiet so please excuse the slight lack of info with regards to certain details here. What I can say:

• Ex-Torrent Tracker, using a Single Word .org Domain Name.
  • Still getting around 200-300 uniques a day.
  • Getting around 10-15 clicks a day parked at Fabulous
  • Making 20-50 cents a click.
  • Traffic breakdown by country: Australia 30%, UK 15%, US 15%, EU Countries 15%, Canada 5%, Japan 5%, Korea 5%, Other 10%.
Only been parked for about a week, here's a snapshop of the stats. Note the high impressions, this is due to some people still having Torrents trying to do "Scrapes".
http://webareas.com/images/extrackerstats.png

The first and last days are part days, so perhaps consider them together as a full day.

Here's what I'd like:

What should I *legally* do with the domain? Park it? Minisite? Something else?
If I should park it, where do you think would pay the best? I don't want to mess with it over and over finding out the best place. (Lazy, I know).
Finally, whats the general rule on selling a domain with traffic these days? It used to be monthly revenue times about 20, is that still the case? Would it be the case here?

Cheers!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Torrents are not illegal - just want many of them contain and how many people use them are considered illegal. Many programs (mainly games) use torrents (or something extremely similar) for updates. Tons of freeware are also out on torrents.

You could develop a torrent site and only have legal torrents but IMO that would cost too much, be very time consuming, and have little in return. Ithink you have two courses of action (well, three):

1) Park it. Itsounds like you're doing this already and wiht 15 clicks (making $2-$7.50 a day) - this is a nice payout for any parked site. This would be my first choice.

2) If the traffic dips you could make a mini site about torrents and the legaluse of them.

3) Sell it as a revenue domain if the revenue keeps up.

F5Domains

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey draggar, thanks for the comments. The reason I referred to 'illegal' is that's the only way to describe the previous content in this case. I didn't control the domain at this point, I'll note.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is nothing illegal about torrents as a technology. It becomes illegal only if you try to share something illegal (like a pirated movie).

f5domains, I wouldn't really advise any kind of development on this domain. From what I can gather, you are new to development and running a torrent site requires an extraordinary amount of knowledge on blackhat SEO, simply because all of your competitors are already doing it. Unless you have six months to devote to learning every dirty trick in blackhat SEOs book, I wouldn't advise development.

You can either keep it parked, or try selling it off on one of the blackhat forums (BlackHatWorld dot com)

F5Domains

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about WhiteHat? (I'm just being silly because I own whitehatter.com ;))

Thanks very much for the advice, I'm likely to keep it parked. Might move it to Bodis or somewhere in a month and see how it pans out there too and then go with whoever wins overall for revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom