Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

ExpireFish (vs) Snapnames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Two super-duper bluechip domains have been recently put on-hold. Both of which are already backordered on SnapNames.com.

I was curious to know, Is there a good chance Expirefish can snag the domain before Snapnames can?
Or is ExpireFish just a cheap alternative used when the domain name you want to aquire isn't to sought after, and you know, noone will use Snapnames to backorder it?

Domain summit 2024

Hard to tell. If they are both popular it won't matter. Whoever has the most bandwidth with the WHOIS servers will grab them first. The difference will be a few seconds apart, maybe less. No way of telling the winner in advance.

There are so many more players than those 2 that its pretty academic.

Don't forget about namewinner.com and nicgenie.com as well as the other registrar chasers.

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange
Whoever has the most bandwidth with the WHOIS servers will grab them first.

That's a big reason that I've found why people, who don't use third-party services like this, miss domain names -- is that they rely on Whois data instead of doing a search using the Registry Registrar Protocol (RRP) to see if the name is available.

You have to comply with certain specifications and be approved by ICANN to use the RRP, correct?

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange
You have to comply with certain specifications and be approved by ICANN to use the RRP, correct?

Well, actually, whenever you search to see if a name is available (not using Whois) they're using RRP to interact with the main database. It's the only "accurate" way to see if a name is available.

Yes, you're right though. You have to be an accredited registrar to interact with the main database using RRP.

(Maybe with eNom's "Club Drop"? I've never used this so I have no idea.)

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Another question while we are at it....
Would it be possible for I, a 56k modemer, to beat Snapnames out of a domain?

Not using the method I described. You need to be able to run a unix box with ample bandwidth. I suppose a cable/ADSL connection could cut it.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No I dont mean can I snag the domain by using/installing a script.
I mean the old fashion way.

Keep manually refreshing the whois location, and the exact second its release, I get it. And have my credit card number on copy, and just paste it in the given area.
And click submit.

Short answer is no. Plus you'll get bored, tired or your index finger will get larger than normal.

Not using whois data - it's not up to the minute - but if you manually query the availablility of a domain at a registration site, and you know when the domain will drop, you might be able to do so.

We occasionally have people tell us they manually grabbed a domain and beat a SnapNames reservation - but I have no personal experience doing so.

-t

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Anybody experienced with picking up domains manually (not using one of these services), can you share under what time period do most of the verisign names drop? I know it is normally between 2pm, and 3pm, is it different each day sometimes?

In order to confirm that, you have to know the domain in advance. I just pick names that I like from a dropped list. But generally speaking, NetSol drops their names after 2pm.

It is possible to register a domain manually without a script and beat automated players - but not for the very very best names where they pump a large percentage of their connections.

Think multiple windows to maximise your chances manually.

D

domaingator

People out there are actually still trying to pick up names manually?!?! DG gave that technique up over a year ago.

ROT (Rule of Thumb): If you get the name that way, it is not worth anything. If no one is scripting against the name, it will not sell or gather traffic.

Of course people are still going for names manually, not everyone is able to write or afford scripts.

But, I disagree that you cannot get good domains manually. I used to do both and many times the manual method prevailed over the scripts for the best of the names I wanted.

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with safesys, I do not use any scripts to catch names and feel that some that i have caught are not bad.

Having said this none of my names will allow me to retire, but those that i have registered will produce a fair amount of traffic as they contain strong keywords and will produce once ranked in SE's.

What have i got I hear you say?

Well one of the latest was slot-machines.org

Yes i know it has a hyphen and it is only a dot org, but for the sake of a few dollars we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
4 instance i got both RnBmusic.com and CD-Burners.com manually when they dropped.Lucky me. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators