Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

For EVERY member of this forum to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JMJ and ecafe both make good points, so here is the key:

If you're developing domain names for long term search engine positioning, traffic and CPC or CPA revenue, the actual domains in question mean little or nothing. Unless a domain is exceedingly brandable, it really doesn't matter what domain you use for your website if your goal is to attract visitors through links, search engines and social networking sites.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're developing domain names for long term search engine positioning, traffic and CPC or CPA revenue, the actual domains in question mean little or nothing. Unless a domain is exceedingly brandable, it really doesn't matter what domain you use for your website if your goal is to attract visitors through links, search engines and social networking sites.

Umm, no that couldn't be further from the truth. Development is key, but the foundation of any site is a good domain name. That's a worry GT with all the time you have spent on this board :?:

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is more leeway regarding the domain choice if it is for development.

HOWEVER, the basic rules still apply: avoid hyphens, 1-2 (3 max) keywords, descriptive, dot com is choice #1 (some site topics facilitate .net, .org, or .info extensions), etc.

If you spend all this time and other investment in development you don't want all your hopes solely on search engine positioning (which is long term investment). It should only be one of your (main) traffic sources. You also want your visitors to remember the site and get repeat traffic (and use any means to get your visitors to leave their email addr). Plus a domain name has an impact in some (if not all) search engines' algorithms.

So you should spend time choosing best possible domains for development.

My advice is this: research best possible domain names around your market choice, build small sites (around 5 pages), look to exchange links with related sites, submit to search engines/directories, observe the traffic. This is relatively small investment. Those whose traffic shows steady growth and potential (ie mid-high XX daily unique visits or above) develop.

But, if you have a solid domain that gets loads of type-in traffic and wish to sit on it until the top buyer comes along, develop. Combined type-in, search, and link traffic will increase substantially targeted traffic leading to more PPC revenue, independent advertisers, and higher price-tag.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Umm, no that couldn't be further from the truth. Development is key, but the foundation of any site is a good domain name. That's a worry GT with all the time you have spent on this board :?:

Read my post again. I said if you're looking to make money by generating search/link/social network traffic than to a large extent domain doesn't matter.

Interested in developing a site to sell ringtone offers? Whether you use FunRingtones.com or Wicked-Ringtones.org wont make much difference at all to your bottom line.

That's a worry with all the time you've spent developing websites :?:

Of course, if you're promoting your website via television, radio, etc a memorable name is important - but for search engine marketing, the actual domain name itself matters very little.

Domainmaster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but think that having a good domain is always better than having mydomainrankswellinthesearchengines.com

Just my .02

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but think that having a good domain is always better than having mydomainrankswellinthesearchengines.com

Just my .02

Yes, but the difference is almost never worth the increased cost of buying a name as opposed to registering one.

I'll always register the best name I can find for whatever site I'm building (I'm not saying buy a crappy name just for the hell of it) but I'd rather spend the money on development and marketing than a domain name (unless I have the chance to buy a GREAT one at a reasonable price).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom