Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Frank disses .mobi at Domainfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi will be the future and everyone who says otherwise has no clue.

I still haven't registered a single .mobi yet but my time will come ;-)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wasn't a Frank fan before his town hall talk. Now I'm a simi Frank fan. In so many words he said .mobi is a bad investment. Frank gains nothing by giving this free advice. He seemed genuinely interested in helping noob domainers. You guys are bent on misleading noob domainers. Frank only has 3 employees. He could quit today, give Vern a couple million dollars and never have to hit a lick the rest of his life. .mobi doesn't threaten anything in Frank's life.
Greg, it is not "You guys are bent on misleading noob domainers". It is domainers in general bent on misleading domainers and nOObs.

With all the talk of the money being tossed around for this and that, is it any wonder of the shit being regged today in all extensions? Or being sold?

Everyone is looking for their pot of gold when they don't even have a pot to piss in. That is why they are pissing in the wind with some of these registrations.

Sure, Frank is offering free advice. Who the hell would pay for it? Exclusive club members?

This is so deep that it is not all as it appears to be on the surface. In some of my own research, I have uncovered domains owned by FS that are not .com but are .net, .info and other extensions and not english word generics.

By research I am talking about my researching foreign word generics as an untapped market. Typically, curiosity will prompt me to check a WHOIS every now and then and I get quite a few surprises as to who owns them. I don't know if FS makes all the purchasing decisions.

But what this does tell me is there is room for more than the .com in one's portfolio, there are no clear cut and dry rules for domaining, and not everything has to be english words. And, not all is being revealed by FS for the sake of nOObs.

But you and I both knew that. And we also know that this is one of, if not the, largest global billion dollar un-regulated markets in the world... the buying of and the reselling of domain names. And there are a few folks hell bent on controlling the market and dictating what to buy. Who wants to be the king of domaindom?

It is domainers who control their own market, set their own prices, do their own negotiating and pump and dump the hell out of everything they own. And diss everything they don't own or don't want to pump at the time.

When I see numbers like this:

TLD.com

Total

New Today

New Yesterday

New 30 Days Ago

New 90 Days Ago

...do you want to tell me that is not a pump? A market created by domainers? A Frenzy created by domainers?

And then when I see this:

TLD .com

Total Registered

Deleted Today

Deleted Yesterday

Deleted 30 Days Ago

Deleted 90 Days Ago

...is this not a dump? I have the same stats for .net.

So why say that .mobi does not have it's place when it has a specific purpose? Why say it is "you guys" when it is every domainer looking to reg a gem and sell for a pot full of gold...in every extension.

A market created by domainers, controlled by domainers, and hyped by domainers...is that what .com is all about? .net? .mobi?

Sorry, I don't see things as one-sided and as blindly as some want us to be. My domaining experiences and all other financial dealings in life tell me to be diversified. My portfolio consists of perhaps 15%-17% of .mobi.

I am not one to be led to cliffs like sheeple and then follow the leader and jump off. No, I am not talking about .mobi. Domaining just is not a religion to me. I will not be condemned to a mobi hell or a net purgatory until I upgrade my portfolio to contain all one word english generics or LL.com and LLL.com.

So why portray domaining and .mobi as "you guys" misleading the nOObs.

Its old farts like us and our early success that brought the nOObs into domaining.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In some of my own research, I have uncovered domains owned by FS that are not .com but are .net, .info and other extensions and not english word generics.

Frank likes anything with type-in traffic. Which is why he didn't board the .mobi train. You guys that say he's worried about .mobi are nuts.

noncompare

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excuse me for interrupting, but I seem to recall having seen this movie before. Someone hypes down a stock (or domain, name your asset here) and as everybody believes the hype, it continues to drive down prices, until it hits their price point and then they start picking them up with a vengeance.. and make a killing in a year or two when the market realizes such stocks (er, names) weren't so bad after all.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excuse me for interrupting, but I seem to recall having seen this movie before. Someone hypes down a stock (or domain, name your asset here) and as everybody believes the hype, it continues to drive down prices, until it hits their price point and then they start picking them up with a vengeance.. and make a killing in a year or two when the market realizes such stocks (er, names) weren't so bad after all.

Counter hype won't bring traffic .mobis so they could drop to 10 cents and I wouldn't buy them.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi threads are always entertaining. :popcorn:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frank likes anything with type-in traffic. Which is why he didn't board the .mobi train. You guys that say he's worried about .mobi are nuts.
I am not one of those "you guys". Nuts perhaps, but not a "you guys".

I wonder how much type in traffic a .eu gets?

You gauge the make or break success on the one one .mobi you own? iPhones?

You expect someone to actually to search for iPhones.mobi?

If I am searching for iPhone, I am using the singular, not the plural. And if I am search for and iPhone it would be because I want to buy one, not because I have one.

If I have an iPhone or any smart phone, I might search for iPhone Apps or Mobile Apps or Mobi Apps.

I still don't understand the fascination with iPhones.mobi. What I do understand is WHY this is not a big type in search term. Who is looking for iPhones .mobi?

I guess that is where we are not on the same page. A popular word or search term does not equate to a popular search term in every extension.

As much as I dislike .eu, I can see iPhones.eu being better or even the yet to be released iPhones.asia (no, won't be buying any) if someone wanted to know who carries them and where I can find one in the European or Asian markets. And even that is a stretch. I would be more inclined to go to the version of .co.uk, .jp, .cn, .tw.

Doubtful he is worried about .mobi, .asia, .cn, .eu.

But why defend his stanch? Why not simply forget the Frank factor?

I guess that is why there are so many religions and gods and goddess worshipped and praised on this planet.

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Grand total revenue of $0.00 this month.

Iphone(s) is/are the hottest mobile phone on the planet, when iphones.mobi is not getting natural traffic, do I assume that people in general have no awareness/interest in .mobi unless the domain is coupled with Brand Power and serious marketing(TV ads etc)...

I guess .mobi and the upcoming .asia are just hype to attract interest. They are years away from real adaptation and the process is definitely not going to be as fast as general public adapted .com when internet was born! period.

We talk about it often to keep the business going between Registries+Speculators+resellers+Investors with faith in them.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just wanna know one thing:
Why isn't anyone regging .mobi names? There are still less than a million .mobi names, as compared to more than 2 million of the higher priced .tv names.

Anyone got any views?
The secret, my friend, is that they lack the Vision.
I'm blind too :)
The thing is, the number of .mobi names being regged has remained pretty stagnant for quite some time now.

Which and when was the last .mobi name you regged?
I would like to know, what are the latests stats (hard to find and no mention on the mtld site)
Last time it was around 700K.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last time it was around 700K.

And the first round of drops is coming soon.

They are getting hard to unload as well. I just sold englandhotel and canadahotel for $15 on ebay! I couldn't even give them away for $5 for both on domain forums! Those two domains in just about any other major extension including the two associated cctld's are easy $100 plus domains each. In .com - much more.

People paying $15000 for mymobile.mobi are the crazy ones. They could have gotten the .com for that!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, when this news broke:

Google CEO bullish on mobile Web advertising

Someone on another forum commented,

See! No mention of .mobi!

Of course, that comment was made on a domain forum where domainers discuss, debate, and argue domains.

My response was,

Nor did he mention .com, .net, .anything.

That was not his function at this meeting.

His task was as a keynote speaker to tell the other CEO's and VIP's in attendence where google has been and where google is going.

He was basically selling google and google's vision...not mTLD's. That is not what the shareholders pay him the big bucks to do.

It is amazing how we want to interpret what someone did not say as being just as much dissing as what someone does say.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
first there was IDNs then came .eu and now .mobis is the talk of the town.
i dont know what is next

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No-one from the .mobi boat is willing to put their money where their mouth is?
LongTermInvestment.mobi is still available.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok someone quick...

name me 50 no 30 no 20, ah hell only 10 .nets being used by large global corporate brands.

no, can't do it? ok how about .info?

no, what about .us?

.mobi's fate will be determined by marketing dollars not bickering domainers

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess domaining (all of this nonsense) is much like ebay when it first came out.

Another doc friend of mine is the first one that told me about ebay. He was an early adopter and user.

Before ebay went public, ebay contacted all of it's current subscribers at the time to offer them the opportunity to buy ebay's shares for $18.00 each.

My buddy, JD, opted not to. No one would ever buy into a new thing, an online auction, named ebay.

This was perhaps in June or July when ebay went public. By that November of the same year ebay was trading at over $330.00 per share.

So for all of those that do not think that domaining and and internets' past big thing or the next big thing is not like the stock market, then you have not done your homework.

Remember, this is a market you (we) domainers created. Where else can you enter into the fracas with minimal investment ($7.99 registration fee for a .com) and get a tremendous ROI?

So why say it is the .mobi crowd hyping the industry? I think, I could be wrong, this forum was created long before .mobi came along so domainers could hype domains. Now ain't that a kick in the balls?

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
first there was IDNs then came .eu and now .mobis is the talk of the town.
i dont know what is next

.asia is next. Those are going to be entertaining threads as the pump and dumpers move on to a new TLD:

http://www.dotasia.org/

:lol:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
George, this is disturbing: the map includes Oceania!
But conveniently excludes Turkey.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've never been a .mobi fan, and I don't think I will regret it if it does become more valuable in the near future. New extensions in this market are great, people that missed out on .coms and .nets think they have a chance so they spend $1000s on fresh regs and try to sell them. The fact that .mobi held onto 100s of top terms so they could auction them off should show you something.

Anyway, CandyCanes.mobi is available...maybe someone will want to purchase some candy canes for the family on their cell phone during the holidays. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom