Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

opinion GoDaddy Maneuvers = Dangerous President

This is an opinion held by the original poster regarding the material discussed in the first post of the thread, be it domain name related or not.
Reaction score
First to be clear, I don't care for Frank Schilling. I wouldn't give him the time of day. I feel he bashed and discredited nTLD more than anything, whist he owned some of the best and most early TLDS. He was more harmful than help, and totally greedy.

That brings me to the unreasonable price increase he made some years ago. Despite his contract obligations (with ICANN) he raised the prices 100%, 1000%, and more on a dozen of his nTLD. He did it well before the 5-year threshold that he laid out in his contract application.

So, ICANN allowed the Uni registry to renege against registrants - NOT GOOD.

As a result, GoDaddy REMOVED those extensions from their platform.

I'm sure that hurt ol' franks profitability, right? GD is a big player. Lots of missed sales. He would be fighting an uphill battle to promote his choice extensions after being locked out by GD.

But now, isn't GoDaddy BUYING his extensions, those very ones?

So what's the problem here? Everything aside, GoDaddy had Frank by the balls. They could snatch his nTLD for relatively cheap because they decided to lock him out otherwise, you see?

Slippery slope, with these registries being registars too.

Everything ICANN has tried to 'decentralize' is failing.

Even FADI ex-ICANN CEO, now ETHOS, has acquired Donuts.

Danger, danger...big problems on horizons for ICANN domains.

ICANN showed in newTLD that the contract obligations mean nothing.

I feel they are corrupt and will screw everything, including .com when they can.

"Insiders" on the 'outside' - only a smokescreen. They're out for themselves and that's bad news for you.

To 'turn a blind eye' is so convient! Coy.

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite understanding you here.

Are you against Frank Schilling or GoDaddy?

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he means "dangerous precedence"... And is still rambling about the uni price hikes a few years back.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand what the dangerous precedence is. I'm not for GoDaddy, but I see nothing wrong with what they did. They listened to their customers and removed nTLDs that hiked prices up. Later, they purchased Uni, but I'm sure didn't use that as leverage.

I've always seen Frank as an investor. I knew he'd sell when the right price knocked on his door.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure looking at the post history of this particular member will yield you many more conundrums to solve David ;)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators