Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Golf.pk

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
scooter49 said:
I see it as you do italiandragon. Yes, at the moment .com is the daddy. That's because it is the American TLD and all the big sales are coming from and going to Americans!!! If it is not an American company purchasing it, it is (on the whole) a US domainer or domainer company.

The 3 biggest net savvy users (at the moment) are
USA
Germany
UK

Businesses are very slow to switch on. What happens in the USA takes approx 5yrs for businesses here in Europe to catch up. Here in the UK, a large company will still register joe-bloggs-joinery.co.uk cause it only costs £5 instead of buying joiner.co.uk for £5K

However, things are changing, slowly for the better and wait until the rest of the world catches up :)

I believe in a few years time all top generic words from any TLD will be worth a lot of money and I beleive golf.pk is certainly going to be one of them.

You have to remember .com has been around for well over 15 years, how long has .PK or .CC or all the others been in existance for? not very long.

As businesses catch on and as search engines start to show top TLDs the likes of golf.pk is going to be worth a lot of money.

What are you going to buy in 5 years time if you want instant branding and have a limited budget...

golf.com for $10 million or golf.pk for $20,000

Great name Italian Dragon. Sit on the fence and watch that baby's value grow with the coming years.

Or, if you want, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and I will by it from you for $800 today.

Hi Scooter, thank you very much for your opinion, I agree with you totally.

The fact Mr "Whothatdog" is wrong is that I`m not mad at him for his appraisal, but I just DO NOT understand it.
It`s well known that there are many sales of ccTLDs ( see DNJournal ccTlds section) but he can says that this name worth zero or regfee.....this is absurd.
Plus, giving as motivation that an extension where most of the names have been registered by domainers makes that worthless then I wonder what or how he define himself. I`m sure that if .com was having the landrush NOW, he would have been registering hundreds of names.

There are people in Pakistan who uses already .pk and .com.pk ( the past 3rd level ext) has popular use ( from wikipedia informations).

I have done plenty of research before to register a few names and I had to stay up all night to be one of the first ones to reg the best left ( .pk minimun lenght is 4 letters).

Speaking about ccTlds then I would like to know if Mr "Whothatdog" thinks that (just for example) one of the best examples like Christian Zouzas alias Mister .us is totally wrong about his .us portfolio because I think he`s doing a great job.

I think some americans have the really bad prospective to see .com as american extension while .com is a NO-Country extension and as I said some countries DO prefer their own identity. Any examples?

Italy .it
UK .co.uk
Australia .com.au
New Zealand .co.nz
Germany .de
Austria .at

These countries use much more their own ext then .com and this is just an example so how can he say that .pk is rubbish? We are talking about the 6th most populated country......and then I have to see people selling .im......ISLE of Man ...come on just think about it.

On another note, yestarday I saw this one:

http://www.dnforum.com/thread165693.html

I would like to know if Mister NrMillions and Mr Whothatdog agree in anything about .pk so I can understand something.

I thank you again for your words Scooter, but regarding selling it, I`m not looking to sell it right now till I understand better what kind of value it can have. I put a price on Sedo just to avoid people with low offers to waste eachother`s time but I`m really looking to develop it before to consider it for sale.
I think that Pakistan is going to benefit a lot from the near Indian boom and within 5 years we may hear good news.

Of course the Usa market is still number 1 but is not going to be number 1 forever. Some proud americans can`t get the signals or can`t admit it.

Thank you and would really appreciate other opinions , of course no matter whether you tell me this name worths low xxx or high x,xxx, I would like to read WHY. And I would really appreciate people from Pakistan or India or people that know Pakistan and Pakistan culture.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No answers....too bad, I thought that Mr Whothatdog could let me understand why so many sales are reported in ccTlds and golf.pk or onlinepoker.pk worth zero.

Foodie

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
as I said some countries DO prefer their own identity.

As someone who's lived in some different countries, and encountering different nationals, I agree that there is an issue with a national identity. But the .com is the catch-all, but the good ones will run out. Plus there are some names more relevant to particular countries, and linked with the national identity, I suspect the country extensions will take off. Just thoughts spurred on by an interesting discussion!

scooter49

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Foodie said:
As someone who's lived in some different countries, and encountering different nationals, I agree that there is an issue with a national identity. But the .com is the catch-all, but the good ones will run out. Plus there are some names more relevant to particular countries, and linked with the national identity, I suspect the country extensions will take off. Just thoughts spurred on by an interesting discussion!

Hello Foodie. You are right.

But the .com is the catch-all
The only reason .com is the catch-all is because it was the first TLD and is now 20 years old. No other reason. Wait another 5-10 years and if you go to a search engine's "show me a world-wide search" for the term "golf", I think you will be very surprised what it will bring up....

but the good ones will run out
They already have, How much would golf.com cost you now? and take a close look at who is buying the major .com's. In a nutshell, it is Americans. .com is mainly an American market.

Wait a few years until other countries catch up, they will want their own international TLD identity and as the search engines start to truly open up, the bigger players that cannot afford golf.com will purchase other top TLD's with the same name as it will cost them $9 million less, but stilll give them instant branding and a few million to spend on PPC etc.

I suspect the country extensions will take off
They will, and as they do, .com will be even more marginalised to America or the very few, truly global players.

The rest of the large international corporations will fight it out for the "scraps" and that is good news for domainers as they will pay very good prices on the likes of golf.pk

.com will always command huge prices, but watch as the rest of the world catches up. I think you will see some real eye openers with regards to "sold" prices.

Lets be clear about this. 20 years ago if you wanted a domain name, it did not matter if you lived in New York in America, or New Delhi, the only domain name you could buy was a .com. Times are now changing, and they will change very fast in the next 5-10 yrs.

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
italiandragon, I am not from pakistan so im not an expert on .pk but I think the name golf.pk is a good name because golf is certainly a very strong keyword even if golf isnt the most popular sport there. People might not play golf a lot there right now but maybe they are still fans of it and like to watch tiger woods or something. It can only go up in value as the internet becomes more poplular in pakistan. golf.com would cost someone millions of dollars and they could buy golf.pk from you for a fraction of that and develop it and SEO it and people could still access it from anywhere on earth. Its not like only people who live in pakistan can get to a .pk site. I think right now the name is worth around low $xxx. I would hang onto it and im sure you will eventually get an offer of at least $1k or more down the road as country extensions gain popularity which they already are and will continue to do. You have it registered for another 2 years anyway so you might as well wait and see how the market does in that time and see if you get any $1k or more offers, although you might want to sell it to that other member for the $800 if that was a real offer. I thought your texasholdem.pk name was good because the pk looks natural next to it because it can stand for poker so I think it can be highly marketable and would easily be worth mid $xxx minimum. good luck with your names.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nrmillions said:
italiandragon, I am not from pakistan so im not an expert on .pk but I think the name golf.pk is a good name because golf is certainly a very strong keyword even if golf isnt the most popular sport there. People might not play golf a lot there right now but maybe they are still fans of it and like to watch tiger woods or something. It can only go up in value as the internet becomes more poplular in pakistan. golf.com would cost someone millions of dollars and they could buy golf.pk from you for a fraction of that and develop it and SEO it and people could still access it from anywhere on earth. Its not like only people who live in pakistan can get to a .pk site. I think right now the name is worth around low $xxx. I would hang onto it and im sure you will eventually get an offer of at least $1k or more down the road as country extensions gain popularity which they already are and will continue to do. You have it registered for another 2 years anyway so you might as well wait and see how the market does in that time and see if you get any $1k or more offers, although you might want to sell it to that other member for the $800 if that was a real offer. I thought your texasholdem.pk name was good because the pk looks natural next to it because it can stand for poker so I think it can be highly marketable and would easily be worth mid $xxx minimum. good luck with your names.

Thank you for your well explained opinion.

And just to be precise: I don`t have texasholdem.pk , I just linked the 2 names to have something to compare within the .pk extension.

The other names .pk that belongs to me anyway are the following:

OnlinePoker.pk

Date.pk

Commodities.pk

Sport.pk

Thank you very much for your opinion and as I said before, any opinion from Pakistan people would be really appreciated.

Best regards.

Foodie said:

Thanks for your opinion too.

I agree with most of it.

In Pakistan, the local old extension ( .com.pk) has been popular so far so it quite reasonable to think that local people will prefer the .pk to the .com as happened so far.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
No answers....too bad, I thought that Mr Whothatdog could let me understand why so many sales are reported in ccTlds and golf.pk or onlinepoker.pk worth zero.

My definition of value differs from yours. If you put Golf.pk up for auction on Ebay with no reserve you would be lucky to get $50-$100. If that is the case then you certainly aren't guaranteed to get $20. So I say it is worth zero.

I bought my first domain name in June of 2005, and a few months into the business I made it a point to do what I could to get closer and closer to acquiring some great names...instead of running away from the best names.

When 90 percent of these extentions open up there is a mad rush to acquire these names, and the people doing the buying really aren't that creative or smart. Many people think they are printing money when they buy these names, but they are mostly spending money and making the registrars rich.

A few decent sales here and there keep the dreams alive, and the story repeats itself endlessly with nonsense appraisals and rationalizations as to worth.

The bottom line is that rookie speculators have most of the names and that makes it pretty much impossible for the extention to every get off the ground in a meaningful way.

If you disagree then buy as many as you can.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
scooter49 said:
Hello Foodie. You are right.

But the .com is the catch-all
The only reason .com is the catch-all is because it was the first TLD and is now 20 years old. No other reason. Wait another 5-10 years and if you go to a search engine's "show me a world-wide search" for the term "golf", I think you will be very surprised what it will bring up....

but the good ones will run out
They already have, How much would golf.com cost you now? and take a close look at who is buying the major .com's. In a nutshell, it is Americans. .com is mainly an American market.

Wait a few years until other countries catch up, they will want their own international TLD identity and as the search engines start to truly open up, the bigger players that cannot afford golf.com will purchase other top TLD's with the same name as it will cost them $9 million less, but stilll give them instant branding and a few million to spend on PPC etc.

I suspect the country extensions will take off
They will, and as they do, .com will be even more marginalised to America or the very few, truly global players.

The rest of the large international corporations will fight it out for the "scraps" and that is good news for domainers as they will pay very good prices on the likes of golf.pk

.com will always command huge prices, but watch as the rest of the world catches up. I think you will see some real eye openers with regards to "sold" prices.

Lets be clear about this. 20 years ago if you wanted a domain name, it did not matter if you lived in New York in America, or New Delhi, the only domain name you could buy was a .com. Times are now changing, and they will change very fast in the next 5-10 yrs.

You made some very good points there. I can`t comment everything today but I totally agree about the fact that Americans have this idea of internet as "made in Usa".
Ok, they created it, fine, that`s was GREAT, thank you but now they have given the possibility to other countries to use it. And then what? They think that many ccTlds are just rubbish. And while the admirable Chistian Zouzas try to spread the message that the real american ext is .US , most of them still think and want the .com

I wish that some of the called "experts" here could just make some research and homework.

Few examples:

In New Zealand the .co.nz ext is preferred to the .com because local people learned that .com most of the times means the people are not local.
Even for registration of services like free webspace or free e-mail address, they don`t want e-mail addresses without the .co.nz
If you use yahoo.com you don`t get the free services.

In Australia, the .com.au is widely preferred to the .com

In Italy the percentage of .com is totally minimal.

And the more the people will use internet the more will look at local businesses most of the times so they will prefer the local extensions.

Soon or later even the most stubborn american will find quite weird to see a Chinese page when typing a .com address so they will start preferring the .US sure to find something really "Made in Usa".

And as last note, I noticed lately another crazy thing: .sc ( Seychelles) , some people think as it like South Carolina. That`s crazy. I think playing with extensions like that or .ws as website or the hacks especially with the italian .it is just very silly but it does not hurt so if they like to play they are free to play. But when it comes to value, I can`t see the .pk ( I still punt on the fact of its big population) that the extension is not going to be used. Maybe some people would like to have a look at the website:

http://www.internetworldstats.com

Thank you

WhoDatDog said:
My definition of value differs from yours. If you put Golf.pk up for auction on Ebay with no reserve you would be lucky to get $50-$100. If that is the case then you certainly aren't guaranteed to get $20. So I say it is worth zero.

I bought my first domain name in June of 2005, and a few months into the business I made it a point to do what I could to get closer and closer to acquiring some great names...instead of running away from the best names.

When 90 percent of these extentions open up there is a mad rush to acquire these names, and the people doing the buying really aren't that creative or smart. Many people think they are printing money when they buy these names, but they are mostly spending money and making the registrars rich.

A few decent sales here and there keep the dreams alive, and the story repeats itself endlessly with nonsense appraisals and rationalizations as to worth.

The bottom line is that rookie speculators have most of the names and that makes it pretty much impossible for the extention to every get off the ground in a meaningful way.

Ok, I thank you for your point of view, I repeat I am not mad to you, there is no reason to be.
I understand now a little better your opinion and I respect it, but I disagree.
I guess time will tell us who was the wrong one.
Best regards.

scooter49

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:

I disagree. I have already offered $800 and it was sadly declined.

The smart investor is in it for the long term. At the moment, the people making the best money are the people who bought prime .com names 10-15 years ago and are now cashing in big time.

I made it a point to do what I could to get closer and closer to acquiring some great names...instead of running away from the best names.
That's exactly what Italiandragon is doing. golf.pk is a great name.
Let's look at golf.pk. Let's say it costs $20 a year to reg and let's say we give it the same length of time for the TLD to get established as .com has had.(20 years)

So in 20 years time it has cost Italiandragon a total of $400
I think he will safely be able to add a couple of zeros on to the end of that in terms of value.

When 90 percent of these extentions open up there is a mad rush to acquire these names
This is exactly what happened to .com. As soon as the prices were reduced for registering, there was a land rush of people regging names and these are the same people making the most money today.

We are:) and I honestly don't think he will have to wait 20 years. Things are moving much faster. I will say 10 years max.

ID, my offer still stands. In fact, I will raise it to $1000 if you would like to part with it now.

italiandragon said:
Based on the first 2 comments in this thread then the buyer of Poker.pk just bought garbage for $1,500 ???
I asked appraisals and am happy to receive criticism or to admit I made a mistake but this time I can`t really agree with the zero or reg fee value.

Thank you

I have to say, the person who purchased poker.pk for $1500 got it for an aboslute steal and he/she is truly a smart investor. In 10+ years they will safely be adding 2 zeros on to the end of this.

.com is an American market. Is is fueled by American companies, American domainers (on the whole) and the rare global company.

.com will become marginalised as the years go by as large companies scramble to gain their own TLD identity. The smart investor is buying other top TLD generic names just like they did 15 years ago with .com

The rest of the world is going to catch up, and when they do, the likes of golf.pk is going to be worth a small fortune.

Am I right? who knows. Only time will tell, but if the rest of the world wakes up and believes internet branding is as important as US companies do, then yes, I believe I will be right.

Watch this space in 10 years time:)

Alan Glennon

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The fact that you have so many people writing their opinion leads me to believe that your particular .pk domain has value.

Regards.

DNbulk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Golf.pk ?? dont sell it for less than 6 - 8 K !
If you don't get it this year - you will next @!

It does not really matter what ccTLD it is......golf.pk.....golf.am.......golf.pm....

SEX.io is on Ebay as we speak.......and already at $5.6 K in bids .........lets see where it ends ?

Sure they have sex in .IO (British Islands or whatever...) so the keyword will match, but thats not the point.

Every major keyword (hotels, casino, poker, auto, etc etc etc) will make it's money in any ccTLD - I am sure.

Thousands of new people join the domain/webdesign/webhosting business every day.....they are the ones who buy that stuff since nothing is left in the .com/.net/.org/.us/.info etc etc etc.....

Whoever will win the sex.io auction already made 100% profit within 12 months. However, this is Justmy2cents.....but I remember when when I did not want to spend $50 for myflorida.com at NS (and I was thinking about it at that time)...... now this domain name is shown on 12 million license plates in FL.

Hmmmmmmm

:lalala:

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with WhoDatDog.

IMHO, the domain by itself is not worth much. The only way to add value would be to develop and market it with the hopes that you can target the right audience. But that could be done with a much more relevant .tld than .pk, which imo has to be near the bottom of any pile.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the short term, I agree with WhoDatDog. Until some of these domains get developed, the attention they will receive will be minimal. Even if you see some sales on DNJournal for good TLD's (teen.gd) or whatever, until they get developed properly, and marketed, the public won't know or care.

However, long term I think they are great. I wouldn't take out a second mortgage on this stuff, but if you get in early enough, you can pick up some good, high searchable domains in decent extensions that if you are willing to sit on for awhile will return a decent sum.

If you want a quick return stay away and try and flip medicore .com's.

If you are willing to wait, then wait and see what happens. If this was a sure thing, you wouldn't be here now talking about it, you'd be reading about how someone else got rich 5 years ago, because they took the risk you may be doing now.

End of Story

bdss

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And I would really appreciate people from Pakistan or India or people that know Pakistan and Pakistan culture.

Thank you very much.

Italian dragon,

Golf in India:

A rich man's game a status symbol if you play golf ( that was 5-10 yrs back)
Now its a higher middle class(as we call it in India) game, where in most of the people with corporate jobs/ good salaries can afford to play golf.
Wait a few years and most of the people would be able to afford it.

Secondly the game is getting popular with golf clubs springing up and majority of big companies/corporations sponsoring golf events and advertising them.

Third as you all know India's economy is booming, standard of living has gone up and as I see it will keep going up for years to come. As people have more money to spend they tend to do things which are more expensive or supposedly the things done by the richer classes.
Golf falls in that category and is being taken up by quite a lot of people.
People have the money now, exposure to the game (which should actually be increased and will be) and it will grow in popularity.

Its actually a fashionable sport in India.

having said that I see the same trend for it in Pakistan or for that matter Bangaladesh or Nepal etc etc ...

So hold on for a few years, this domain should be worth something.

Also having got into cc tld popularity discussion, one needs to understand how the popularity for these work.

For a start lets consider Asian countries, where internet penetration has not even touched the surface of the Asian population.
Pepole dont know about cc tlds because their knowledge of internet is few months/ a year old. When told about visiting sites, most of them are given references to a .com site by their peers and thats what they visit .com and it gets popular. (And yes the best sites on the internet are .coms currently.)

So thats how it goes but then people in the government/Telecommunication ministries/IT etc know that they have a cc tld associated to their country , so all the government sites should be in their cc tld.
So thats established and people who are directly related to these misnistries,sites/have business with them start using these sites thus growing the populatrity of the cc tld.

The word spreads around and reaches the common man and they slowly and steadily start shifting to the cc tld. Its already been established in UK,AU,NZ,CN etc etc..so will it be in India,Pakistan and other countries whose entry into the internet has been slow but the growth is now tremendous.

I can go on and on about this but well the posts been already too long (lol) and hence I will close my rant by saying that give a few years and this cc tlds would also come up in value ..and that would be way more than their reg fees.

Italian Dragon : keep your domain but being golf you will have to wait logner than the ones who own travel/hotel/loan in pk. Give the game some time to get popular in there.

Regards
Nick

pamela

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know that Golf is growing a lot in Pakistan. Many clubs and many special clubs with Golf such as Dreamworld, CountrySide Chalet,etc.

So this name has potential and in next year, golf will be a very established sport in pakistan.

Dave44

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe the country on country code extensions are irrelevant. The question is- can you brand a non-dotcom. People don't know the country associated with PokerRoom.tv - and don't care. Either they remember it or not. "Golf-Park" (because that is the association) is very brandable "Find the right Golf Park at Golf.Pk" Very brandable... (of course they are usually referred to as Golf Courses)

The problem is that a brandable name is not worth near as much as one that is branded. It costs BIG bucks to brand anything. I believe the domain name should be worth to an end user- a well heeled end user mid $x,xxx - maybe higher. It's a good name for a person who wants to create a clearing house for Golf Parks.

Dave44

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, after few months it`s time to refresh the topic of Golf in Pakistan.....and it seems Pamela was right, since recent news from PK inform the following:

17 Mobilink golf championship opens
Written by pub
Saturday, 10 March 2007
MULTAN, Mar 9 (APP): The 17th All Pakistan Multan Open Golf Championship began at the picturesque Multan golf course Friday.

Regional commercial director Mobilink, Abdul Muqeet Fareed formally inaugurated the tournament at the golf club.

Many professional and amateur golfers are participating in the event.

While addressing the participants of the ceremony, Abdul Muqeet said that the company was the main sponsor of the golf championship. He said that the company was committed to promote sports activities in the country and hoped that Pakistan will soon emerge as a rising star in world of golf as there was no dearth of talented golf players in the country. He said that the popularity of the game was increasing with the passage of time.

The news can be found at :
http://www.app.com.pk/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5509&Itemid=2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators