Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

GOTO.COM Blunder or Thunder?

Was it a wise move for GOTO.COM to change their name to OVERTURE.COM?

• Blunder

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Thunder

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sure he appeciates the added traffic to his auctions. Maybe he'll give you a % LOL :razz:

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I bid on "many" peoples names even if they bid on mine or not. Check out the showcase of "xmark". He has never bid on my names yet I helped him sell several of his names in the last week. He is just one example of many.

I only bid on names I like and have purchased numerous names I bid on! Thus - there is obvious interest.

Here are some facts -

-I have sold more names at Afternic than any other member.

-I have purchased more names from Afternic members than anyone else at Afternic.

-I have helped sell hundreds of names for other people through the power of the start bid.

-The people that attack those that place start bids never have domains in their portfolio at Afternic, have no domain sales, post anonymously and often fit the definition of "cyberstalking".

Larry Wentz
"Make Money with Affiliate networks"
http://www.AffiliateNetwork.org

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biznames
I'm sure he appeciates the added traffic to his auctions. Maybe he'll give you a % LOL :razz:

LOLOLOLOL - Very true! Even getting exposure from anonymous attacking cowards posts helps out.

Larry Wentz
"Make Money with Affiliate Networks"

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by reifox

LETS LOOK AT LARRYWENTZ'S SHOWCASE

Good idea! People can see the a large portion of the names I have sold at Afternic still in my portfolio. Now - people can look at your portfolio. Ummmmm..... no names - no sales - no identity - no credibility - etc....

Oh .... and I encourage all to place a start bid or 2 on any names that you like!

Larry Wentz
"Make Money with Affiliate Networks!"

I must say I've bidded on a lot of eBay auctions lately and I've never really considered this type of bidding practice, though it obviously works to great effect for Larry - 550 names sold in 2 years- that’s an amazing statistic.

So obviously this technique has the ability to sell names, though I do wonder what the view is of start bidding/shill bidding from a legal point of view. Are these practices accepted or is it something that the law frowns upon. Also what is the difference between a start bid and a shill bid?

Originally posted by LarryWentz
Actually I bid on "many" peoples names even if they bid on mine or not. Check out the showcase of "xmark". He has never bid on my names yet I helped him sell several of his names in the last week. He is just one example of many.

I only bid on names I like and have purchased numerous names I bid on! Thus - there is obvious interest.

Here are some facts -

-I have sold more names at Afternic than any other member.

-I have purchased more names from Afternic members than anyone else at Afternic.

-I have helped sell hundreds of names for other people through the power of the start bid.

-The people that attack those that place start bids never have domains in their portfolio at Afternic, have no domain sales, post anonymously and often fit the definition of "cyberstalking".

Larry Wentz

Your success in the Domain Resell industry is impressive. Not a soul on the panel could debate that.

Outstanding! & your encouraging!

Continued... CoolSuccess!! :cool: :)

Shield (not shill) bidding is when you involve individuals that had no intention in buying that item, to help you out with selling it through the auction. They will bid, thus raising the price and the actual interested party will either bite the bait and increase their bid also or, they won't bite and the shielding bidder will withdraw their bid at the very end or close to the end of the auction, thus causing the 2nd bidder - the victim - to be the winner at an inflated price.

It's completely illegal on ebay and they will suspend your account for this.

Originally posted by timechange
Shield (not shill) bidding is when you involve individuals that had no intention in buying that item, to help you out with selling it through the auction. They will bid, thus raising the price and the actual interested party will either bite the bait and increase their bid also or, they won't bite and the shielding bidder will withdraw their bid at the very end or close to the end of the auction, thus causing the 2nd bidder - the victim - to be the winner at an inflated price.

It's completely illegal on ebay and they will suspend your account for this.

I did not realize that about the 2nd bidder becomes the winning bid.. wow.. i see, it's not good, if that is what's happening??

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shill bidding occurs when an auction seller uses aliases to bid on his or her own listed item in order to push the price past its true demand point.

Start bids are that initial one-time bid and not "bidding up" on a name. I only bid on names I like, would like to see in my portfolio and stand a chance of selling. It is a "great feeling" to see people sell names that otherwise would never be sold or even seen. The exposure you get on your own domains is superb as well. The truth is that if you want to increase your sales at Afternic then I suggest you start bidding on names you like.

Larry Wentz

I had a dig on ebay, and this is what they defined it as,

"Shill bidding is the deliberate placing of bids to artificially raise the price of an item and is not allowed.

To avoid the appearance of being involved this activity, family members and individuals living together, working together or sharing a computer, should not bid on each other's items."

shield bidding seems to be a bit different,

"Bid shielding - Using secondary User IDs or other eBay members to temporarily raise the level of bidding and/or price of an item to extremely high levels in order to protect the low bid level of a third bidder."

M

mike

Dear Larry,

Thank you for spending the time and effort it took to post goto.com's name change explanation from Business Week. It speaks for itself, and is compelling enough for me to consider changing my mind about it being such a blunder. I understand now why they felt they had to do it. In effect, they purposely chose a longer URL to discourage direct traffic to their site and allay concerns their distributors had, like MSN, and AOL that they were "wolves in sheepskin" after their marketshare.

BTW, I am sorry you've had to endure what I feel are unsubstantiated allegations of wrongdoing made about you here in my thread. There is nothing I can do about it. Plus, you are doing one hell of a good job defending yourself anyway, even though I hope you know you don't have to for me.

simone

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This was part of the Seach Day newsletter - I thought it was interesting as this thread began as the GoTo/Overture Blunder/Thunder.

By Danny Sullivan, Editor
The Search Engine Report

Overture announced today that its relationship to provide paid listings to AOL has ended, and the appearance of paid listings from Google on the AOL Search site suggests that Google is Overture's likely successor.

Overture has been providing paid listings to AOL since October 2000. The listings have appeared under the "Sponsored Links" heading on the AOL Search site in the United States, as well as appearing on AOL-owned search sites run under the Netscape and CompuServe brands in the US.

Overture is now out as the paid listings provider for all of these AOL sites in the US, though Overture's deal to provide paid listings to AOL sites in the United Kingdom, Germany and France remains unaffected.

AOL has made no official announcement about who will take over the deal, but paid listings from the Google AdWords program are now appearing at AOL Search. For several weeks, Google AdWords have also been appearing on the CompuServe search site.

Overture listings do continue to appear in the "Partner Search Results" area of Netscape Search, but these are to be phased out by August. Overture results are supposed to have been removed from the "Sponsored Links" section of CompuServe, but they remain there as well.

Overture has previously stated that its rosy financial guidance for the remainder of the year has not assumed that the AOL deal would be renewed.
Given this, Overture should still be on track for a year of record
profits, which has many stock analysts excited over the company. In addition, Overture just renewed an unprecedented three-year contract to continue providing paid listings to Yahoo.

However, if Google is indeed the new AOL paid listings provider, it is a giant step forward in that company's plans to play in the distribution space that Overture has until now dominated. Advertisers already seek out Google because of the huge amount of search traffic its own site generates. Gaining distribution on AOL's popular search sites only makes the company's ad programs an even more compelling prospect, in terms of
reach.

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Simone. I must admit that I have been more happy with the Google Adword Select program compared to Overture for one big reason - LESS HASSLE!

Overture's relevancy issue for keywords is often very irrelevant and you can waste a huge amount of time pleading your case. I haven't used Overture (the search engine formerly known as Prince, ummmmm...... I mean Goto.com) in a long time. I had goto.com reject the term "weight loss" (+many more relevant search terms) for a site that sold weight loss products. They literally hacked up 80% of my keywords and I lost placement on them. They wasted a huge amount of my time.

Google's Adword Select has been hassle-free and very time effective. They deserve the business!

Larry Wentz

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so larry, does adword work well?

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes - I would recommend AdwordSelect from Google and have been happy with the results though I have paused my ad campaign temporarily there.

A couple of my sites already receive pretty good rankings in Google and I feel I am paying for traffic that I may be getting free anyways on those sites. I need to fine tune my ad campaigns a little better there for my various sites.

Larry Wentz
"Make Money with Affiliate Networks"

M

mike

Outstanding News Post on the subject matter of this thread, Simone. Thanks.

Well gang, I have no doubts now. Changing their name was a major blunder. And they should change it back to goto.com fast, while they still can! Think about it. They abandoned an easier name to type in than their main competitor has (google), to a mistake prone, tongue twisting url (overture)...How are they going to make up for the 23 million or so AOL subscribers they previously had access too? Think they will be able to make up with type-ins now to overture.com ??? Hah! I don't think so.

Larry, how come you missed that small point in Simone's post about AOL pulling the rug on Overture? Care to rethink your position on the namechange now? I'm sure Ted Meisel is!

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mike
Outstanding News Post on the subject matter of this thread, Simone. Thanks.

Well gang, I have no doubts now. Changing their name was a major blunder. And they should change it back to goto.com fast, while they still can! Think about it. They abandoned an easier name to type in than their main competitor has (google), to a mistake prone, tongue twisting url (overture)...How are they going to make up for the 23 million or so AOL subscribers they previously had access too? Think they will be able to make up with type-ins now to overture.com ??? Hah! I don't think so.

Larry, how come you missed that small point in Simone's post about AOL pulling the rug on Overture? Care to rethink your position on the namechange now? I'm sure Ted Meisel is!

Actually I'm pretty neutral on whether the name change was a good idea or not. I am more interested in why. When Goto.com states on the frontpage "To meet legal obligations, GoTo is now Overture. Our new Web Address is Overture.com.
You will be automatically redirected to our new homepage in 10 seconds.
Please remember to bookmark the new page, as we will no longer redirect traffic from www.goto.com as of July 1, 2002."

it makes me wonder what those "legal obligations" actually are. The Business Week article didn't state anything about "legal obligations". I will be interested in seeing exactly what the goto.com page will look like on July 1.

AOL dropping Overture and going with Google has nothing to do with the name change as AOL is promoting "their own name" and not Google nor Overture.

Larry Wentz

simone

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Check this out - It looks like I may have found that legal problem facing goto.com !

COPYRIGHT AND PATENT NOTICE
Copyright 2001 go2 Systems, Inc. ("go2"®). All rights reserved. Reproduction of any go2 material is strictly prohibited. Permission to use all documents and related graphics and any other material from this World Wide Web server is subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Terms and Conditions of Use

Trademarks
go2, go2online.comTM, go2 AddressesTM, go2 EnablerTM, go2 CitiCodesTM, go2 Web SitesTM, go2 SiteMapsTM, Universal go2 AddressesTM and WGRSTM are trademarks of go2 Systems, Inc. "Wherever You are, Whatever You Want, Close By", "Showing You the Way", "Driving the Internet Through Your Front Door," "Are You go2 Enabled?", "Location, Location, Location" and "Go Through go2" are service marks of go2 Systems, Inc. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be Trademarks of their respective owners.

Proprietary Rights
go2 was developed and is the proprietary property of go2 Systems, Inc., 18400 Von Karman, Suite 900, Irvine, CA 92612 (go2 Address: us.ca.irv.go2) Tel. 949.553.0800. go2 Systems, Inc. retains all proprietary rights to go2, including any technology and methods which are the subject of U.S. Patents No. 5,839,088, No. 6,047,236 and various other pending U.S. and foreign patents.

Originally posted by simone
Check this out - It looks like I may have found that legal problem facing goto.com !

COPYRIGHT AND PATENT NOTICE
Copyright 2001 go2 Systems, Inc. ("go2"®). All rights reserved. Reproduction of any go2 material is strictly prohibited. Permission to use all documents and related graphics and any other material from this World Wide Web server is subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Terms and Conditions of Use

Trademarks
go2, go2online.comTM, go2 AddressesTM, go2 EnablerTM, go2 CitiCodesTM, go2 Web SitesTM, go2 SiteMapsTM, Universal go2 AddressesTM and WGRSTM are trademarks of go2 Systems, Inc. "Wherever You are, Whatever You Want, Close By", "Showing You the Way", "Driving the Internet Through Your Front Door," "Are You go2 Enabled?", "Location, Location, Location" and "Go Through go2" are service marks of go2 Systems, Inc. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be Trademarks of their respective owners.

Proprietary Rights
go2 was developed and is the proprietary property of go2 Systems, Inc., 18400 Von Karman, Suite 900, Irvine, CA 92612 (go2 Address: us.ca.irv.go2) Tel. 949.553.0800. go2 Systems, Inc. retains all proprietary rights to go2, including any technology and methods which are the subject of U.S. Patents No. 5,839,088, No. 6,047,236 and various other pending U.S. and foreign patents.

i'm gonna put this in my RatTrapper.. for safe keepN! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom