Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Hiding Whois record

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows which registrar can help to hide the contact information listed in whois record, for privacy protection?

Any info or link will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

MarkMitford

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If any registrar does offer this they will be in breach of their contract with ICANN.

At the moment registrars are supposed to maintain accurate WHOIS information (and many state in their end-user acgreements that they can cancel domains with invalid WHOIS data).

See the announcement ICANN made today detailing how they are going to begin enforcing those provisions and stating that ICANN is providing a central web page for reporting invalid WHOIS data.

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-03sep02.htm

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just let spammers mail you and then sue them ;-)

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dear All

Register with Godaddy if you don't want your personal details to be easily checked by others by mean of standard whois (except the one offered by Godaddy).

Here is my finding:

Last Name First Name

Registered through: Go Daddy Software (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: XXXX.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
NS52.NEWSBOOK.NET
NS2.NEWSBOOK.NET

That's all.

Oh my god, you have to visit godaddy in order to check the details (after inputing the password).

I think too protect and too less information.

Any comment on this!

Regards
PrimeDNR

Go Daddy just looks out for their customers more then any other registrar i've seen.

But, i've even seen others do this limited info for WHOIS records, it's becoming common place.

GoDaddy is in violation of their ICANN agreement if they don't offer a port 43 whois service.
Registrar shall provide an interactive web page and a port 43 Whois service providing free public query-based access to up-to-date (i.e., updated at least daily) data concerning all active Registered Names...
-t

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PrimeDNR
Register with Godaddy if you don't want your personal details to be easily checked by others by mean of standard whois (except the one offered by Godaddy).

Try going to FreeWho.com and type your
same GoDaddy domain name into the Whois query.

There you go.

Hm...

~ W|Z

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Who-Wiz

Try going to FreeWho.com and type your
same GoDaddy domain name into the Whois query.

~ W|Z

Thanks a lot, its fast and look exactly like the Daddy's.

How can you do that?

Is is connect whois.godday.com or what ?

Please kindly help me.

Regards

PrimeDNR

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't believe it is anything special.

I think Go Daddy is just selective about which results it returns to IP addresses that have a certain amount of requests coming from it on a regular basis (except its own).

~ W|Z

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Who-Wiz: previously I wasn't able to view GoDaddy whois results because I couldn't view the password they provided, but FreeWho.com does it in a breeze.

I like the link to Overture and the link pop option will be great when you have it running :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you mean masking your whois from the public to prevent abuse or fraudulent use of personal records by unscrupulous marketeers mining the whois, I do believe you can use eNom for that in the - so long as the records the registrar has of you is accurate.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
I like the link to Overture and the link pop option will be great when you have it running :)
Thanks, Fizz! Now, if only the .us search wasn't still busted. I'll post when its all wrapped up. I'm having too much fun with the glossary. The Overture search and Google button works though!

~ W|Z

GoDaddy's port 43 whois appears to change it's output if you are a high-volume query user. Our whois script alwo works fine on GoDaddy domains - though we did get one report that it was foobar, but when we checked, apparently we were "unblocked" again. Verisign does the same thing - as do others. It it supposed to prevent whois data mining.

-t

Where were .us whois searches NOT working? They have never stopped working on our site either.

-t

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
Where were .us whois searches NOT working? They have never stopped working on our site either.-t

I'd commented that they were NOT working at FreeWho.com yet (we're still in Beta and focusing on other things), and Whois-search felt duty-bound to proclaim (by implication) how lame that was. :laugh: I don't think it had any bearing on any other normal whois service which should clearly have .us searches working! It was a jab.

I'll get you for that, B! :razz:

W|Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom