Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How do you make money from domains other than reselling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was wondering how other people make money from owning domain names other than reselling them?

I have search engines powered by findwhat (pay per click) running on my domans. They are great payers (always on time or early).

Domain summit 2024
J

jimb

Originally posted by safesys
I was wondering how other people make money from owning domain names other than reselling them?

The more obvious way is having a business attached to the domain :)

But I have also had domains that point to other people, for a small fee :) Just to like cover the cost of registration.

Jim

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Well one obvious way is actually developing the site, I have a good maybe 20 domains right now (I've sold about 5-6 domains so far, from $100-$400, which isn't too bad for me at least..), and I'm looking into trying to develop a couple that I think would have potential for a developed site (maybe like OVF.net, BaseballForum.com).

There's a good amount of ways to make some spare cash when you slap some content on those domains :D

And selling the site after you developed it, you can make some nice cash. :cool:

Originally posted by Dan
There's a good amount of ways to make some spare cash when you slap some content on those domains :D

I've yet to find anything that yields higher than ppc search engines for domain traffic conversion - what kind of content are you running?

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
safesys - can you give me an example domain with the ppc search on it? I just want to make sure.. Isn't the search engine PPC thing that you are talking about the one where it takes up the entire page with popular keywords, and a search box, and sometimes a "this domain is for sale - make an offer" or somethign similar?

Originally posted by Dan
safesys - can you give me an example domain with the ppc search on it? I just want to make sure.. Isn't the search engine PPC thing that you are talking about the one where it takes up the entire page with popular keywords, and a search box, and sometimes a "this domain is for sale - make an offer" or somethign similar?

Hi Dan,

Sure, an example would be www.siteguide.com for a general page and www.developing.com for a more "themed" page.

It works on a revenue share basis, whereby a click can net between 1 cent and over a dollar a click (on the results page).

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Yeah, that probably is the best way for traffic conversion for domains you plan on selling. I was just thinking of the ways to make money from a developed sites, those ad places which review your site, and money is generated by cpm and ppc, but that search engine method seems to be looking really nice.

Can you give me a url to a good place which lets you run that sort of ppc search engines, I think I want to try it out on some domains that are just laying around and get a few visitors. :)

Hi Dan,

There are companies like targetwords.com, textlinks.com, goclick.com and kanoodle.com as well as findwhat.com who I use.

I'm not sure what flexibility you will get from them with regards to link placement/acceptable terms - my contract with fw has been in place for some time now and it seems I get more freedom than new signups do with them.

If the ppc links get good click through ratios and good average per click values, you can get cpm's well in excess of $20

I've recently bought a few domain names but I'm very new to the whole thing.

I've seen people talking about how they generate income from domains they own through adverts and clickthroughs and so on, but could someone give me a brief guide as to what this is all about and how to set this up? Any help at all would be gratefully received :)

J

jimb

Originally posted by graemenash
I've recently bought a few domain names but I'm very new to the whole thing.

I've seen people talking about how they generate income from domains they own through adverts and clickthroughs and so on, but could someone give me a brief guide as to what this is all about and how to set this up? Any help at all would be gratefully received :)

Well, what you basically want to do is set up an account with an advertising agency, then get a hosting account, then make sub-domains for each of your domain names, and put the ads on a site. Then just place the pages with ads on your hosting account.

Easy as 1, 2, 3!

Jim

graemenash, like this http://www.undeclared.net
the domain gets traffic from both, type ins and search engines and i get commission for items sold thru my traffic. you can sign up there as an affiliate since the items sell well and you make up to 15% per sale. i also have some more programs listed on http://www.futuristicvision.com/affiliate.html . try to register and catch expired domains which already have existing traffic links and you can make a great extra income without even having to sell your names

I use a mixture of different affiliates on my pages, mobile phones, dating, and history erasing software does quite well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators