Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How do you think about Invest.mobi's finial price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Bigg,

First, why not go to auction? On a Sedo auction an offer accepted and pushed through to auction is (still meant to be) binding on the buyer!

I do not know how this works when the top priced buyer doesn't pay, in the real world the price offered to the second highest bidder is normally argued by the second highest bidder as the highest price bid by the 2nd placed bidder before only the highest bidder and the 2nd highest bidder are the only two alternating bidders. I am not sure if this is how Sedo works on this particular issue. (It would be interesting to find this kind of information out though.)

We both know of auction fevor, many if not most people have suffered from it at some time. This may or may not be the case here. (As an aside, Sedo definately should ban the non-paying highest bidder.)

The reason I value the domain so highly is the end user potential in many countries. At a price tag of $30k -$40k this is well within many small to medium sized business' advertising and marketing budgets, and such a domain would give a 'niche advertising/marketing' stronghold to such companies in this particular marketplace.

Just my 2 cents worth.

i wouldn't go to auction because, paying $60 at best for .mobi and getting a $10K offer IS
the big payday!
you take the money, not go to auction!

for your other point... why would a business start out by using a .mobi domain, rather than a .com name?

with $30-$40K, they could start branding a .com or buy a nice .com with traffic or an unregged .mobi with no traffic!
especially since no .mobi's have any real type-in traffic yet.

so if i own a biz, do we spend our cash on an unproven domain extension that the "general public" knows nothing about or do we spend our money on a .com or net or .tv?

still, i glad for those who are making sales, but unless buyers come from outside this industry, then .mobi may not sustain.

scandiman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cool, this thread is back on topic.

Regardless of the .mobi, the stats for invest are great:

OVT: invest- 237,529

Adwords: invest - Est. Average CPC: $3.12 - $4.52 Est. Clicks per day: 318 - 399

This is a great foundation to build on.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is a good name. Perhaps similar to business.com but for mobile. i think investors want to invest and get news from anywhere at anytime not always being at home or work. Great name.

BTW, I am happy to get back to this topic. I think people like that tend to start this site with fights thus causing a bad environment for other professionals and blocks us from discussing business professionally. So here is an idea.

Could there be a "boxing-match" with specific rules? Maybe a flash game or site that cannot be searched once competitors fight? With this, others can bet dnf$ for the winners or outcomes of the fight. The fight would be timed and others could judge to see who would win. Once the fight is over, there would be no more discussion of that topic.

Just a thought. But im glad we are back on the topic. Fighting in forums are quite personal and just delays everyones discussions. But we are still animals and need confrontation from time to time to express ourselves.

What do you think? :greenconfused:

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for your other point... why would a business start out by using a .mobi domain, rather than a .com name?
Because the people in general (not domainers) all know the BIG future is MOBILE INTERNET and the further they look into buying their Ideal Domain for a business, they will look for the buzz word on the internet the Mobile market and Business in mind.

And IMHO, A good Entrepreneur Researches well so there's a very big chance they all come accross this humble extention called the DOT MOBI which blatently Screams out Mobile Internet with the registrar.

And because the average Businessmen/women look ahead and speculate purely for that BIG success and Breakthrough :yes:

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bigg,

Your points are well founded, however, public awareness 'will' occur as sites get developed, prior to that you have the 'novelty' factor that will register in the publics minds. Also the direct association between mobile phones and .mobi, this can and is starting to be exploited.

One area your points above are let down is you include .tv as if this was popular. It is not but it is becoming so, well the same arguement is used directly for .mobi as .tv, association between a media format and a suffix.

Now as a business wishing to establish itself in the market a novel extension can prove invaluable, the main proviso here being that the public are readily conditioned to accept such a novel extension, again here the .tv with television and .mobi for mobiles obviously predisposses the public to such acceptance. The same of course goes for the proposed 'XXX' suffix. Now the advent of the phenominal popularity of the mobile phone/cellphone has opened up a huge new advertising/marketing niche yet to be exploited. I would argue that any new niche would and should invite investment from experienced business professionals and entrepreneurs.

The reason 'invest.mobi' is so valuable as opposed to letsinvest.mobi or a-zinvest.mobi is as follows:

1) The keyword is short, just 6 letters
2) The keyword is absolutely descriptive of the proposed usage (investing)
3) The keyword is absolutely positive, no negative connertations or doubts
4) The keyword allows for sub-domain development (gold.invest.mobi, pensions.invest.mobi, etc..)

also please consider these points in addition:

5) Because of the ubiquiness of mobile phones in the world today the domain name implies 'real-time' information accessability.
6) The ability through SMS for messages about investing to be sent directly to the customer base and likely to be read immediately upon reciept, and not as emails to be read 'either' just at home when logged on or just during working hours.
7) The public have greater access to mobile phones than they do to computers and for longer.

These are just some of the arguements I would make in favour of .mobi over .com. However, I do concede that many will register poorer domains in .mobi rather than pay for a good .mobi domain on the aftermarket, but on this point of course the same can be said for all suffix extensions.

(It's good debating domain names again! :) )

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That's pretty much how I think as well. Branding a name, well that can be done individually. But branding an extension? That's not something you can do on your own. That takes the success of your business out of your hands. Who would want to build a business that's success is out of their hands.

I guess the idea is that the end users will arrive if the extension gets branded. But even then, every business is going to want to have a dotmobi extension the same as their dotcom extension I would think.

Because the people in general (not domainers) all know the BIG future is MOBILE INTERNET and the further they look into buying their Ideal Domain for a business

What does this mean? Domainers are less tech savvy than the average person? And it's kind of like saying that mobile televisions are going to replace home TV's. No, people will watch most of their TV at home and people will do most of their net surfing on their main computer(s). Mobile devices will probably not be used much for surfing and research, more for things that are needed in a pinch or can be handled quickly.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Because the people in general (not domainers) all know the BIG future is MOBILE INTERNET and the further they look into buying their Ideal Domain for a business, they will look for the buzz word on the internet the Mobile market and Business in mind.

And IMHO, A good Entrepreneur Researches well so there's a very big chance they all come accross this humble extention called the DOT MOBI which blatently Screams out Mobile Internet with the registrar.

And because the average Businessmen/women look ahead and speculate purely for that BIG success and Breakthrough :yes:

I agree with 3dGeek 100%. The new generation is .mobi. we have long hair, say "make love, not war" and are against the big man. It seems that the .com people are telling us to "get a job" and "cut our hair". I guess we are ".mobi-hippies" moving the internet from the wall to the pocket. it will work. it will be great.

I recommend some of you hardcore-.com people to take a week off and come to Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan to see the lifestyle with mobile devices. Americans, Canadians, English, etc all drive cars. As for us here in Asia, we ride the train. We always surf the mobile internet from everywhere! The problem with access the mobile internet is typing in long, long, long URLs. Yea, well, wow! .com. ok. that is nice. But when it comes to .mobi, we are the people that have some good names. They are worth something. And I really think that the .mobi will boom. I have nothing against .com at all. but me working and living in the mobile industry, Ill have to say .mobi for mobile and .com/.jp for pc.

scandiman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with 3dGeek 100%. The new generation is .mobi. we have long hair, say "make love, not war" and are against the big man. It seems that the .com people are telling us to "get a job" and "cut our hair". I guess we are ".mobi-hippies" moving the internet from the wall to the pocket. it will work. it will be great.

I recommend some of you hardcore-.com people to take a week off and come to Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan to see the lifestyle with mobile devices. Americans, Canadians, English, etc all drive cars. As for us here in Asia, we ride the train. We always surf the mobile internet from everywhere! The problem with access the mobile internet is typing in long, long, long URLs. Yea, well, wow! .com. ok. that is nice. But when it comes to .mobi, we are the people that have some good names. They are worth something. And I really think that the .mobi will boom. I have nothing against .com at all. but me working and living in the mobile industry, Ill have to say .mobi for mobile and .com/.jp for pc.
Interesting cultural perspective. Thanks.

mgstudent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recommend some of you hardcore-.com people to take a week off and come to Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan to see the lifestyle with mobile devices. Americans, Canadians, English, etc all drive cars. As for us here in Asia, we ride the train. We always surf the mobile internet from everywhere!

Maybe the trick is to concentrate on .com for English speaking countries and register asian .mobi's ;)

The problem with access the mobile internet is typing in long, long, long URLs. Yea, well, wow! .com. ok.

'.com' is shorter than '.mobi' :smartass:

Will be interesting to see how this stuff is in 5 years. :yes:

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe the trick is to concentrate on .com for English speaking countries and register asian .mobi's ;)
That may be the best for now.

'.com' is shorter than '.mobi' :smartass: [/QUOTE]
so true, so true.

Will be interesting to see how this stuff is in 5 years. :yes:
That would be fun to watch! :smilewinkgrin:

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This thread has certainly been interesting viewing.
The guy that started this thread must be wondering what on earth is going on.Surely with all the accusations of fowl play this thread has questioned it will muddy the waters for his sale? i really do hope not as he has a really nice domain name which (i guess) is worth 20/30k in the current market.
If it doesn't sell for the above amount i'd hold onto it and sell it to the people that come begging for it in 2/4 years time for six figures, possibly more.
Good luck to the seller.

bryanwang

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you all guys!

I learned a lot from you.

You have wonderful and profound sights...

I hope the buyer could develop on this name, and most promote the value of mobile investing.

Wish the sale go well:)

Thank you all guys.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bigg,

Your points are well founded, however, public awareness 'will' occur as sites get developed, prior to that you have the 'novelty' factor that will register in the publics minds. Also the direct association between mobile phones and .mobi, this can and is starting to be exploited.

One area your points above are let down is you include .tv as if this was popular. It is not but it is becoming so, well the same arguement is used directly for .mobi as .tv, association between a media format and a suffix.
.tv is already being used in television ads, so the public is aware.
until .mobi is used in this way, there is NO comparision!

Now as a business wishing to establish itself in the market a novel extension can prove invaluable, the main proviso here being that the public are readily conditioned to accept such a novel extension, again here the .tv with television and .mobi for mobiles obviously predisposses the public to such acceptance.
The public is NOT conditioned to accept novel extensions...only novel devices!
The public MUST be conditioned to accept the extension, which is done by providing images/videos/ads and locating that service on .mobi, before a subject can be conditioned.
This is elementary psychology. ( the salivating dog)

The same of course goes for the proposed 'XXX' suffix. Now the advent of the phenominal popularity of the mobile phone/cellphone has opened up a huge new advertising/marketing niche yet to be exploited. I would argue that any new niche would and should invite investment from experienced business professionals and entrepreneurs.

The reason 'invest.mobi' is so valuable as opposed to letsinvest.mobi or a-zinvest.mobi is as follows:

1) The keyword is short, just 6 letters
2) The keyword is absolutely descriptive of the proposed usage (investing)
3) The keyword is absolutely positive, no negative connertations or doubts
4) The keyword allows for sub-domain development (gold.invest.mobi, pensions.invest.mobi, etc..)

also please consider these points in addition:

5) Because of the ubiquiness of mobile phones in the world today the domain name implies 'real-time' information accessability.
6) The ability through SMS for messages about investing to be sent directly to the customer base and likely to be read immediately upon reciept, and not as emails to be read 'either' just at home when logged on or just during working hours.
7) The public have greater access to mobile phones than they do to computers and for longer.

These are just some of the arguements I would make in favour of .mobi over .com. However, I do concede that many will register poorer domains in .mobi rather than pay for a good .mobi domain on the aftermarket, but on this point of course the same can be said for all suffix extensions.

(It's good debating domain names again! :) )

All of the other points are STILL based on the big "IF"

as we saw with the "iphone" picture...the url shown was a .com!

THAT was the time, IF Apple and Cingular/AT&T wanted to BRAND the extension, they should have went to a .mobi site!

Then the general public would know about the .mobi extension.
What they told businesses is to get your sites up to be seen via the "iphone" and get a .com!

So how is the bid for 'invest.mobi" going?

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Word of mouth will be the publics conditioning, just like it was when the base-internet was formed.
One thing i'm not sure about regarding .Mobi is, if i have a .Mobi can i have part of the URL,IE a sub-domain, for normal web viewing? or do ALL points of the .Mobi domain have to be mobile-compliant? I ask this because if you hold GOOD keyword .Mobi domains, and the extension happens to fail, the domain would still be usefull for standard websites, so all would not be lost.

scandiman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So how is the bid for 'invest.mobi" going?

No movement yet. I am not surprised. Not because I think it is overpriced but I always wait until the last 30 minutes to make bids. No sense driving up the price on something I want. If this name gets more bids it will be from pros. Most newbies are already priced out of the market at 10k.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No movement yet. I am not surprised. Not because I think it is overpriced but I always wait until the last 30 minutes to make bids. No sense driving up the price on something I want. If this name gets more bids it will be from pros. Most newbies are already priced out of the market at 10k.

Yep. I go with that. I personally don't bid til the end. Unless it has a reserve & i need to chip away if i really want it. Once i reach the price it's worth to me, i stop.
The rules of the game are slightly different for big business. They don't ned to watch their pennies as much as us. Also they very often will have to have a boardroom session to get permission to use funds for it. Usually marketing budget etc
Much easier for small business & self employed.
For a relatively cheap domain (which it is for what is it, so far), a big business may just drop a bid in (with a proxy bid) & leave it. They'll have a maximum they'll go to. I think for them it is below them to bid away in the early hours hunched over a computer screen, like us lol
I think it's a good idea to have a top domain ending inside office hours for this reason. And during mon-fri.
Sometimes also, businesses will leave it to a third party / agency to secure the name, either privately, or indeed at the auction itself.
It would have been better to contact endusers, or better still get sedo to do this. They will...........if you ask.
Pred ;)

scandiman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would have been better to contact endusers.....
Pred ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the seller did just that. I typically dig up the whois data of the top 20-50 google results for a generic no TM term I am selling. It is work but selling involves a bit of work sometimes :) I assumed this is a common practice...isn't it?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the seller did just that. I typically dig up the whois data of the top 20-50 google results for a generic no TM term I am selling. It is work but selling involves a bit of work sometimes :) I assumed this is a common practice...isn't it?

I think people will for their better names yes.
There isn't the time in the day otherwise.
It is made harder for the mobi extension though as it isn't common knowledge yet.
To that extent coms sell themselves & sellers of them can just wait for the offers
Pred

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Word of mouth will be the publics conditioning, just like it was when the base-internet was formed.
One thing i'm not sure about regarding .Mobi is, if i have a .Mobi can i have part of the URL,IE a sub-domain, for normal web viewing? or do ALL points of the .Mobi domain have to be mobile-compliant? I ask this because if you hold GOOD keyword .Mobi domains, and the extension happens to fail, the domain would still be usefull for standard websites, so all would not be lost.

Yes. You can have a full version of your site, and use a subdomain like "pc.yourdomain.mobi."

You can also use an xml config file called "WURFL" for device detection. For example, if your users aaceess your site from a pc, WURFL will redirect them to the full version of your site. If they access it from a phone, it will show the mobile version. Here is a good article on how to do this: http://pc.dev.mobi/?q=node/18

Here's the link the the WURFL site: http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/

I am currently working on my sites using this stuff so if you want some help, shoot me a PM :)

Seanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom