Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dynadot How long has Dynadot been down?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Dynadot.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would think that considering the volume of business and domain changes made per hour or even MINUTE, these back-ups need to be much more current to say the least!

nts

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They should definitely look into continuous data protection.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I would think that considering the volume of business and domain changes made per hour or even MINUTE, these back-ups need to be much more current to say the least!

Traditional backup systems can take over 12 hours to perform, but lets assume for the sake of argument they could do it in half that time, your still going to miss a lot of changes.

They should definitely look into continuous data protection.

Good point, they should.

Last edited:

kam

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I unable to delete some domains because of the downtime exceed 48 hours.

28 X .cc domains = 790 USD

51 X .tv domains = 1683 USD

14 X $7.99 domains = 111 USD

Total : 2584 USD.

E-mail has been sent to dynadot and still waiting for them to reply

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems that you better have reg'd some good typos!

siteman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My domain transferred to them on Mar 1 is now missing from my account.
So they are restoring a database earlier than that.

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They haven't apologize for the lack of communication or even acknowledged it.....

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear Customers,

Recently our main site dynadot.com was unavailable for a little over 2 days. What happened was that faulty hardware corrupted the superblock of one of our file systems, corrupting it beyond repair. Webhosting, dns servers, website forwarding, parking, and email forwarding were not affected.

Although we had prepared for such a situation by using redundant hardware and performing frequent backups, when it actually happened it took us longer than expected to recover. During this time I was 100% focused on getting the site back up, and neglected to inform you, our customers, what was going on. Those of you who were upset about this lack of communication are completely justified, and I apologize.

This is the first major hardware failure we have ever experienced in our 6 years in business, and we have learned some good lessons. In the coming months we plan to redesign our infrastructure to further increase the fault tolerance of our systems. Secondly, we plan to develop "dynadot.info" to be a system status website hosted at a different data center. This site will have alternative ways to contact us, and a frequently updated blog if our systems ever go down again.

When you run as many servers as we do, and are growing as fast as we are, hardware problems become a "when" rather than a "if". We promise to improve our handling of these situations from now on.

Best Regards,
Todd Han
President
Dynadot

SOURCE: http://www.dynadot.com/resource/forums/f6-engineering-corner/dynadot-com-downtime-3537.html

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about all the brain damage surrounding missing domains and renewals not recorded now Todd? What about all the refunds that need to be made & orders that were reversed?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I lost one too; DynaDont.com... it's now showing;

This domain is available: Add to Cart

Good for the taking.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about all the brain damage surrounding missing domains and renewals not recorded now Todd? What about all the refunds that need to be made & orders that were reversed?

its a disaster for sure... but if you're in this situation all you can do is email/call/post on their forums until your individual issue is fixed.

i have some domains i deleted a few minutes BEFORE the site went down that are appearing in my account still. i deleted them and moved them to another registrar rigggght before the site went down. i was literally deleting domains as the site went down within a few seconds...

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the domain I was missing is now in my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom